Closed Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jersey Shore on MTV

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: ~ Jersey Shore on MTV ~

Quote Originally Posted by onmycell;3763737;
    I still have to believe that anyone with an IQ over 6 should be able to figure out that this group of "people" does not represent all Italian Americans, though, don't you think? I just get tired of sects of people and the government trying to tell me what I can and cannot watch. I'm sure there are repulsive characters in every nationality there is, just as there are good people. It's just those people aren't as entertaining, unfortunately.
    But I do get why people are upset. Clearly, these are not the finest of the group, but they sure do seem pretty pleased with themselves.
    People probably do in hindsight, but it gives comedians and just regular folks something to poke fun at for that nationality (along with being the mob). Granted, I doubt Dave Letterman, Jay Leno, or Conan probably even know this show exists. I guess it just seems like an unoriginal idea, the same format of the Real World and all those I Love...shows, so to put a spin on it they cast solely Italian Americans. But I don't watch much on MTV or VH-1 nowadays. Again, seems like the same concept for pretty much every show. But they must have an audience
    Last edited by karalott; 12-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3763766;
    People probably do in hindsight, but it gives comedians and just regular folks something to poke fun at for that nationality (along with being the mob). Granted, I doubt Dave Letterman, Jay Leno, or Conan probably even know this show exists. I guess it just seems like an unoriginal idea, the same format of the Real World and all those I Love...shows, so to put a spin on it they cast solely Italian Americans. But I don't watch much on MTV or VH-1 nowadays. Again, seems like the same concept for pretty much every show. But they must have an audience
    LIFE gives comedians and regular folks something to poke fun at. I get what you are saying...and I get why some people/Italian Americans are upset but I DO know this is NOT what most Italian Americans are like. Just like "The Hills", "The City", et al this is SCRIPTED reality. They're being paid to play a part. I agree with that other comment..I too am getting tired of being told what I can and cannot watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Manerva;3764177;
    LIFE gives comedians and regular folks something to poke fun at. I get what you are saying...and I get why some people/Italian Americans are upset but I DO know this is NOT what most Italian Americans are like. Just like "The Hills", "The City", et al this is SCRIPTED reality. They're being paid to play a part.
    But remember these kiddos on THIS show are NOT actors....they are the REAL DEAL. And I do feel badlly for Italian Americans if they are all embarassed by these kiddos BUT this is those kiddos Italian American lifestyle. If they want to be Guidos and Guidettes and MTV wants to film them and call it Jersey Shore....then too bad for the IA and the IA Council.

I am as Irish as "Patty's pig" with my "fish-belly white skin" (oh believe me we have heard it all) I am waiting for MTV to come out with a show about the Irish.....no doubt it will center around Bars and Pubs 24/7.....
    KAREN

MOMREK06 - GOOD ONE! I disagree with you..I think all of these "characters" are truly Italian Americans AND "actors/actresses"

I'm Italian-American and I find this show amusing. My family friends are nothing like these crazy kids, but I know there are IAs who do act this way. It's a minority, like the mafia, and it's very dramatic and funny so they get all the movies/tv shows. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Manerva;3764392;
    I disagree with you..I think all of these "characters" are truly Italian Americans AND "actors/actresses"
    I agree they ARE truly IA and they ARE truly getting paid BUT that no way are they actors at all. Unless, I just do not understand what you are saying. Yes, I believe sooo many reality shows are scripted and JS is right in there with the rest of them. BUT watching JS last week, these kiddos are proud of who and what they are even if the IA Council is embarassed.
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I went to high school right outside of Ocean City, NJ. Then, I lived my summer out of high school in a crummy home on the beach along with my girlfriends and a bunch of college guys we didn't even know from Philly. Not one of us was of Italian descent.

There is a high percentage of Italians and Jews up and down the east coast, and I think populations are more dense in some areas than others, but there is plenty of diversty out ther as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3764395;
    I'm Italian-American and I find this show amusing. My family friends are nothing like these crazy kids, but I know there are IAs who do act this way. It's a minority, like the mafia, and it's very dramatic and funny so they get all the movies/tv shows. lol.
    I'm Italian, too; however, don't care if it's on the air or not. It's stupid, not to mention a trainwreck. I couldn't find any humor in it. A crashing bore. Only reason I tuned in initially was I thought it was a bunch of adults from Jersey along the lines of "Housewives." That'll teach me not to read the small print. ;-)

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3764328;
    But remember these kiddos on THIS show are NOT actors....they are the REAL DEAL. And I do feel badlly for Italian Americans if they are all embarassed by these kiddos BUT this is those kiddos Italian American lifestyle. If they want to be Guidos and Guidettes and MTV wants to film them and call it Jersey Shore....then too bad for the IA and the IA Council.

I am as Irish as "Patty's pig" with my "fish-belly white skin" (oh believe me we have heard it all) I am waiting for MTV to come out with a show about the Irish.....no doubt it will center around Bars and Pubs 24/7.....
    I think actors in the sense that MTV would only hire the best-the people they know will get drunk, run around naked, sleep with every person in the house, guy or girl, make out in the hot tub, get into fist fights, spit in each others faces, go out to a night club and get into a fight with some people who were paid to be there to get into a fight with you, and the girls screaming at each other and throwing profanities. That's what they want this show to be. I think you touched on why people have an issue with this show stereotyping-this may be their lifestyle, but it's being portrayed as this is how it is for every Italian-American 20 something. MTV has to love the controversy, and this show will probably be back for another season, though probably without all the drama surrounding it, so most will forget about it. Bad press is good press for train wreck TV. I did read an article today that said the people that work within the Jersey Shore's visitors bureau and convention centers that they aren't happy with how the shore is being portrayed on the show. And this article also said some MTV employees who work on the show have gotten death threats and nasty e-mails (MTV denied all of this).

it's a guilty pleasure of mine. I think that MTV wanted to cast a bunch of "guidos" but that doesnt mean that is what the Italian's are all about. I like watching it, its just like all those other shows on tv, you just gotta pick your poison. I do not think this show will go on as long as The Real World (which is my all time fav.) but i do think it has one or two seasons left to be on MTV. Either way, i just cant stand that Snookie girl or Nichole or whatever. Shes really freaking annoying. I wish she would have moved out. "let me see your eyeballlllls' - everytime shes on the screen i hit mute.
    If I were sand and you were oceans,
    The moon would be why you're pulled to me.

Closed Thread