+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny runs away with HTGTG ratings- NOT!

FORT Newbie

Supernanny runs away with HTGTG ratings- NOT!

So I got to thinking about the unfortunate demise of our show, How To Get Cancelled, err, I mean, The Guy. I will admit I had some time (10-11 pm to be exact) on my hands last night … (I was boycotting Supernnany out of principle).

I personally loved How To Get The Guy (if not the title). Yes, I was a participant, and perhaps a wee bit biased, but I am also a die-hard consumer of reality-TV (yup, I watched Temptation Island-- both seasons!). I feel like I have some right, not just as a “contestant” but as a viewer, to be flummoxed by the decision to cancel the show just 2 episodes shy of its finale.

What about the 3.5-4 million people who tuned in faithfully each week, of which 3 personally stopped me on the street to tell me how much they loved the show. Do we really leave them hanging? Isn’t there some place between our not-so-fantastic 10pm time slot and the floor of some execs office? Must we really be axed? What about running back to back episodes as a finale, or moving it to ABC Family (3.5-4 million viewers for a cable show would be a ridiculous success) or hell, even putting it on at 3am so we could at least TIVO it. Let’s be honest, 10pm may as well be 3am on a Monday night anyway. We work ABC, WE WORK!

Can ABC really live with itself if it forces its loyal viewers to pay to download 2 lousy episodes (and by that I mean, content rich and wonderfully enjoyable).

Just to prove my ire is well-warranted, let’s take a look at how HTGTG fared in the ratings:

June 13- Ratings

“How to Get the Guy” (10:00-11:00 p.m.)

The series premiere of “How to Get the Guy” finished second in the hour in both Total Viewers (4.3 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.8/5), posting increases over the Network’s performance the prior week (4.0 million & 1.5/4 on 6/5/06). [http://www.thefutoncritic.com/pr.aspx?id=20060620abc01]

Ok, not so bad… in fact, an increase over the prior week’s performace seems pretty good.

June 27 - Ratings

At 10 p.m., "CSI: Miami" scored the night's best rating, 7.2/12, for CBS. NBC's "Medium" averaged 3.8/6. ABC's "How to Get the Guy" didn't get many viewers of either gender, coming in at 2.3/4. (http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap...ings-headlines)

Notably, reality TV as a whole was taking a battering at the time:

“Reality shows are getting a bitter dose of true reality this summer. What used to be a rich season for "unscripted" programming - a time when reality series could provide cheap, new stuff instead of reruns - isn't working as well this year. Six new or returning reality series are languishing in the ratings below the top 25, including NBC's highly touted "Treasure Hunters" and CBS' "Big Brother: All-Stars." Other shows failing to grab viewers are the return of "Last Comic Standing," ABC's "How to Get the Guy," the gossipy "Tuesday Night Book Club" on CBS and ABC's "Master of Champions." The only successes right now are "America's Got Talent," a "Gong Show" rip-off that debuted in third place; Fox's "So You Can Think You Can Dance"; and the moderately successful "Hell's Kitchen," which came in 25th in last week's ratings.” [http://www.sltrib.com/themix/ci_3996337]

July 4- Ratings

“ABC's advice series "How to Get the Guy”… 3.1 million people tuned in.” [http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,202236,00.html]

Hmm, wonder why we didn’t fare so well. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, the 4th of July had something to do with it…

Interestingly enough, “Fox wisely opted to run the movie “Mr. Deeds” in place of an original “Kitchen” on July 3, as July 4 weekend is notoriously one of the lowest-rated TV watching periods of the year.” [http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...icle_5899.asp]

Yeah, guess so.

Anyway, against this backdrop, and having placed us in the coveted 4th of July time slot (oh, I’m dripping with sarcasm now), ABC decided to replace us with Supernanny.

Hmm, wonder how little Miss Naughty Mat did. I’m sure it was GANGBUSTERS!!!! Yeah, or not.

July 11, 2006- Ratings (Supernanny replaces HTGTG)
    At 10 p.m., CBS took No. 1 for a repeat of "CSI: Miami" at 2.9, followed by ABC's 2.1 for a "Supernanny" repeat replacing the yanked “How to Get the Guy,” NBC's 1.8 for a "Medium" rerun and Univision's 1.3 for "Cristina.”

Enjoy Monday nights Supernanny.

I hear you Career Girl. It is outrageous not only that ABC took this wonderful show off the air because of disappointing July 4th ratings, but also with only two shows left it was cancelled. It makes us leary to watch future reality shows if this turns into a pattern.

Love your idea of the final two episode shows shown back to back. You need to be working as an ABC exec ~ they need thinkers like you.
    And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know ~ Kansas

This annoys me to no end, and I really missed watching the show last night. It was interesting, entertaining and unpredictable. Contrast that with Nanny: a) problem child(ren), b) idiotic parents without a clue, c) nanny to the rescue, and d) an eternally happy household. Meh.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGal View Post
    I hear you Career Girl. It is outrageous not only that ABC took this wonderful show off the air because of disappointing July 4th ratings, but also with only two shows left it was cancelled. It makes us leary to watch future reality shows if this turns into a pattern.

Love your idea of the final two episode shows shown back to back. You need to be working as an ABC exec ~ they need thinkers like you.
    That's a good point about it making us leary to watch reality shows, Blondiegal. If only ABC put as much thought into it as Michelle did and realized that you can only toy with your audience so much before they stop tuning in. I didn't even realize it was on the 4th because I Tivo'd it and can't believe they would use the ratings from that to make this decision. Crazy.

Somewhere in a high-rise office overlooking LA:

1st Honcho: Look at the numbers! Cute concept, thought it would pull in the chicks.

2nd Honcho: Chicks want touchy feely - this isn't touchy feely.

Honchette: It doesn't track like The Bachelor - where is the hair pulling? Reality watchers want hair pulling.

1st Honcho: Concensus then...not up to reality standard and not touchy feely...dump it?

2nd Honcho: Yes - before we lose sponsors. Replace it with?

Honchette: Supernanny. It has both elements - it's touchy feely enough for the female audience and has enough hair pulling for the reality audience.

1st Honcho: Done.
    Could we please find a Honcho/ette replacement...like a hair replacement only not as messy?

Thanks for your vent, Michelle. And congrats on your poster award - well deserved.

FORT Newbie

So sad

I was so upset when I found out that they canceled the show! I was completely addicted and I can not believe they are going to keep us hanging!

Michelle-I hope you found love! Thanks for posting on our list!

FORT Newbie
    help
    they wont let me post again....

FORT Newbie
    We are trying to get it re-broadcast on a cable channel. I am always the optimist...

Quote Originally Posted by the dreamer View Post
    We are trying to get it re-broadcast on a cable channel. I am always the optimist...
    I hope it works, Alissa. I'm an optimist too.

I don't understand pulling the last two eps. You paid to make them. It is in a bad timeslot anyway. There are sooo many shows about bratty kids on.

Don't renew the show. Fine. But I don't remember it getting really bad reviews like the cooking with celebrities one.

Must have been a higher-up decision. Some muckity-muck got it in his/her craw that they didn't like it.

I mean at least show the last two eps. Run it at midnight so people can tape it if they want to get some shut-eye. I'm sure it would do better than those "seen on TV" product shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast