+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About the show

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    'Get the Guy' a way to lose the audience

Anne, Alissa, Michelle and Kris (clockwise from top left) are ready and willing to go out on many dates.

HOW TO GET THE GUY. Tonight at 10, ABC.
    As the instant weakest link in its sorry summer Monday-night lineup of reality series, ABC tonight unveils "How to Get the Guy," a (very) limited series in which two "love coaches" give dating advice to four single women in San Francisco and push them out of their comfort zones and into the world of volume dating.

ABC calls this type of programming, with its unscripted premise and serialized romantic story, a "docu-soap." I propose another shorthand term: this series, in my opinion, is a "waste-o-time."

"How to Get the Guy" comes from David Collins and David Metzler, whose "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" started out fresh and inspirational, then fell, after a few seasons, into the rut of repetition and predictability.

"How to Get the Guy" doesn't have to worry about a slow slide: It starts out about as low as you can go.

The four women whom we are asked to care about, and follow, through this six-episode series are Michelle, Alissa, Anne and Kris. Self-satisfied coaches Teresa and JD dispense sensible but elementary hints for catching and interesting a man (stare longer than usual, drink less than usual), while almost every man they encounter seems like one of those guys on the loser couch in "National Lampoon's Animal House."

"How to Get the Guy" is a date with boredom. Anyone on the show who thinks it presents them in a flattering way is sadly mistaken. It's especially unflattering to ABC, which hasn't trafficked in reality TV this tacky since the days of "Are You Hot?" and "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here!"

It might have had an element of entertainment built into it had this new series been called "Who's the Most Irritating?" As is, when shy Anne finds it tough to catch a man's eye for four seconds at a time, you feel for her.

It's tough focusing on this show for four seconds at a time.

As for being impressed enough to return next week for a second date, forget it.

Originally published on June 12, 2006
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...p-359179c.html

Okay. The article is a pretty good (though slightly mean) assessment of the show. I wondered what docu-soap style was - now I know. It's the next morning and I sort of wonder about the 4 women and if they will be successful in breaking down their barriers. I'll watch next week.

P.S. Location, location, location....wonderful!

Wow, what an awful show. How come there are never any shows called "How to get out of a bad relationship" or "Being a fulfilled single person is not an oxymoron"? This idea that in order to be full and complete you need a man in your life is unbelievable. When this show came on last night, my roommates and I nearly threw our dinner at the tv, it's sending such an awful message. At least I know what I won't be watching next week......

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

I was right..it's just as awful as that online dating series they had. Beyond ridiculously stupid IMO.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I don't think the show is awful. But for a 10 o'clock late-night time slot I would expect something a little more edgy and adult. I'll have to see where it goes from here. I think it was a good introduction to the four participants but I wasn't impressed with the beginning in the ballpark and the two coaches. They need to be more exciting and have NEW ideas!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Newbie
    The Times-Herald wants to know what you think about the show:

Email Amy Berkowitz at: aberkowitz@th-record.com or call 783-2764, ext. 6301.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    I don't think the show is awful. But for a 10 o'clock late-night time slot I would expect something a little more edgy and adult. I'll have to see where it goes from here. I think it was a good introduction to the four participants but I wasn't impressed with the beginning in the ballpark and the two coaches. They need to be more exciting and have NEW ideas!
    The ball park was set up to illustrate the number of single men available. I thought that was effective. In a city that boasts a huge gay population it is easier to say all the good ones are taken or gay than it is in other places. It was to get women, in general, to get out and start meeting the vast numbers, no matter what city they are in.

I watch the Bachelor in hopes of seeing love blossom. It is a terrible show! Here we have the same promise but with a higher possibility and genuine footage. I am into this and sure it will get better as it progresses. The first show of any new series is never as good as it becomes.

Dating Dynamics

Since this show is about dating from what I can tell, I wonder if they will discuss the "laws of nature" and whether or not opposites truly attract one another, or if people are drawn to another person by their natural scent - pheremones, or perhaps if you dont try so hard good things will naturally happen. I'm curious how you teach someone "How to Get a Guy" when there are so many "natural" variables that come into play.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by m1d1j1 View Post
    I'm curious how you teach someone "How to Get a Guy" when there are so many "natural" variables that come into play.
    I think it's more along the lines of "how to not mess things up".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12