+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/30: Missing Persons

6/30: Missing Persons

From the official site:

Missing Persons was formed in 1980, but their story doesn't begin there. In 1976, bassist Patrick O'Hearn and drummer Terry Bozzio were both playing in Frank Zappa's band when Terry met singer, and former Playboy bunny, Dale Consalvi at a Hollywood recording studio - they married one year later. Guitarist Warren Cuccurullo joined the Zappa outfit shortly after, but his stint with Zappa wouldn't last long. In 1980, the four of them formed their own band and brought classically trained pianist Chuck Wild into the mix. After a series of name changes, the band settled on "Missing Persons" and their career was launched with the release of their self-titled EP in 1981 on their producer's own label.

Capitol Records picked up the band, and the album, and reissued the EP in 1982. On its wider release, the songs "Words" and "Destination Unknown" found an audience and nearly cracked the top 40, but it was MTV that would make their fame. The band's quirky, sci-fi stage appearance and electronic sound were perfect for the new cable station and their videos soon went into heavy rotation.

Their song, "Walking in L.A." was a huge hit off their follow-up album, but by the 1984 release of their third LP, "Rhyme and Reason," their momentum was waning. The single "Gift" was a minor success, but their next album, the "Color in Your Life," failed to attract much attention and Missing Persons split up. The talented members were far from finished with music, however. Dale Bozzio issued a solo album while her husband went on to work with Jeff Beck. Cuccurullo joined Duran Duran, remaining with them for nearly 15 years. O'Hearn recorded several instrumental new age albums, and Wild composed music for films and television. In 2001, taking a cue from Duran Duran's reunion of their original lineup, Missing Persons reunited for a series of successful shows in San Diego.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I loved Missing Persons, and am really looking forward to seeing them again.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

This is the one I care about seeing this week. And aside from Juice Newton ( ), the only ones I've heard of.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I liked "Words" - I wonder if she's still as bizarre as the 80's.

Hmmm will Warren be playing with them? I could be really interested if he does....he's really a great guitarist. Something in me says he won't be doing it though cause he's not touring with them anymore.

Is this the band with the chick who would perform wearing only, like, duct tape over boobs? I have the vaguest memory of this.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I have that same memory Snowy! But like you, I wasn't sure if it was Missing Persons or not.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    She always had interesting outfits. I liked the 2 tupperware bowls bra and a solar panel thong.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I loved Missing Persons, and am really looking forward to seeing them again.
    Me, too, Bill. I'm really hoping they sing "Destination Unknown", but something tells me they'll be singing "Words"...

Yeah, they are scheduled to sing Words, but I too would have prefered Destination Unknown lobes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast