+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 6/23 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    So since the show is over here is my little write-up for you all:
    Thanks for the write-up, JLuvs. It's almost like I was there. Oh, yeah, that's right: I was.

So, for what it’s worth, here's my 2 cents:

Everyone sounded pretty good, actually. (Since it hasn't aired here yet, I have no idea how they'll sound on the broadcast.) Lots of good energy and real professionalism on display.

I agree with JLuvs that the show was basically over after Thelma sang "Don't Leave Me This Way". She absolutely blew the roof off the place, with the screams & cheers (including mine) noticeably louder & longer than for the other performers. (Not that they were slighted any.)

I confess: I voted for her -- as did (obviously) many others. It really didn't seem at all contentious (as I heard some of the other votes have been). Some people were pulling for Greg Kihn (who, based on comments here, apparently sounded much better on the Green Day song in person). And, though Billy Vera really had the crowd going with his rendition of "At This Moment", it seemed like he lost some momentum with his cover. Club Nouveau and Glass Tiger, though fun & entertaining, were never really in contention, imo.

A couple more comments:

How we vote is absolutely NOT influenced by any of the staff in any way, shape or form. In fact, they go out of their way to make sure that we show equal respect and enthusiasm for all the performers. Now, whether our little voting pads actually do anything other than light up, I can’t say. But – as I said – it was pretty obvious from the crowd reaction that Thelma would win in a landslide, so I have no reason to question the final result.

The audience is definitely not made up of “short attention span teenagers". The producers may put some of the younder &/or hotter ones in front of the cameras and down near the stage, but I’d say the majority of the audience was in their late 20’s through 30-something. (And some even older. )

And, yes, Vernon does do a wicked Mick Jagger impersonation.

Interesting fact #3865: Dionne Warwick is Whitney Houston's cousin.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I always thought Dionne was Whitney's aunt.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

They edited out some Greg stuff....he talked about being happily married...but maybe they will splice that in later.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

CupidGuest, Billy's song is called "At This Moment". I can clearly remember Alex Keaton dancing to this song with his girlfriend, Ellen. I loved this song, and still do.

Krom, the artist who went last the week Arrested Development won was Tiffany (who needed a foundation garment, badly.) I wasn't crazy about AD's cover of "Heaven" that week, and thought that Tiffany and CeCe Peniston were better.

BTW, just who is Vernon Kay? I never heard of him before this show.
    Last edited by dcamonkeys; 06-24-2005 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcamonkeys
    BTW, just who is Vernon Kay? I never heard of him before this show.
    He hosted Hit Me Baby One More Time in the UK and other shows there too.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    He hosted Hit Me Baby One More Time in the UK and other shows there too.
    OK, thanks for the info. My son thought that he sounded Australian.

Is he freakishly tall, or are all of the artists just really short?

Quote Originally Posted by dcamonkeys
    Is he freakishly tall, or are all of the artists just really short?
    He is from Bolton, where I use to live and I believe that he is 6ft 4.
    -Bono

They also spliced the two endings together...as in one of them Vernon mentioned the suprises and in the other he listed the people who were going to be there next week.

Whoever does the sound for this show needs to be shot.
    -Bono

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    To clarify: Vernon Kay is from Bolton, Lancashire, England, UK. There are 2 other Bolton's in England (Bolton, Cumbria, England, GB; Bolton, North Yorkshire, England, GB) sorry, just a stickler for that kinda stuff. It's his northern accent that throws people off.

I thought that Billy Vera really gave a great performance, yet Thelma was a Diva with a capital D. Personally, I'm not that much of a fan of the Alicia Keys song, but she did it well. It was great seeing everyone else, but they just weren't as good as those two.

As for the winner always/usually going last, it might be that the producers do the line up based on their rehearsal performances. The one that who they think has the best chance of winning goes last.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

+ Reply to Thread