+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/23: Billy Vera

6/23: Billy Vera

Sorry for the delay in posting this one, but NBC took a while to release it. It makes me wonder if they are starting to scramble for participants.

From the official site:

Vocalist and guitarist Vera was raised in the New York City metropolitan area, absorbing the sounds of the city's extensive R&B scene. During the mid-60s he worked as a songwriter, with Rick Nelson and Barbara Lewis among the singers recording his songs. In 1967 he had a modest duet hit with Judy Clay, "Storybook Children" (number 20 R&B. "Country Girl-City Man", also with Clay (number 41 R&B), followed in 1968. A solo release, "With Pen In Hand", and an album of the same name did little upon release in late 1968.

In 1979 Vera formed Billy and The Beaters, a 10-piece aggregation comprised of Los Angeles studio musicians including ex-Steely Dan/Doobie Brothers guitarist Jeff "Skunk" Baxter. Two of their singles, "I Can Take Care Of Myself" and "At This Moment", became moderate chart successes. The group disbanded in the early 80s, but in 1986, "At This Moment" was used on the hit NBC comedy “Family Ties”. The song went on to sell more than a million copies, reaching number 1 and remaining on the charts for 21 weeks. Vera is now a highly respected songwriter and record producer, in addition to working as a vintage soul and R&B album compiler. He continues to tour with The Beaters and has appeared in the movies Buckaroo Banzai and The Doors.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

LG.
    I can remember "At This Moment" from the 1980s. I had no idea he had sung the Family Ties theme song.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

It wasn't the theme song, it was the song designed to make you cry when Ellen moved to Paris and broke Alex's heart. She writes him a letter, they play At This Moment while he looks heartbroken and 13 year old Jamie bawls in front of the tv for a solid hour wondering how anyone could do that to Michael J Fox. and its all the talk at school the next day...poor poor Alex. But then Courtney Cox joins the cast and all is right in the world again. Or so I have some "vague" recollection...

It was also the song that Alex danced with his girlfriend with at the prom
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Snore.

Weird - there will be two sextagenarians on this ep. (wondering if I just made up a word…)
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Sorry for the delay in posting this one, but NBC took a while to release it. It makes me wonder if they are starting to scramble for participants.
    I'm sure they've jumped the shark on this series. I have no idea who this guy is, or anyone scheduled on the June 23rd episode for that matter!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    Snore.

Weird - there will be two sextagenarians on this ep. (wondering if I just made up a word…)
    Yes...you are right. We do have opposite tastes. I am really looking forward to hearing this tomorrow. In fact I have been singing it since I found out he was going to be on the show.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Yes...you are right. We do have opposite tastes. I am really looking forward to hearing this tomorrow. In fact I have been singing it since I found out he was going to be on the show.
    I LOVE "At This Moment". It's a really good song, and I hope he still does it as well as I remember it.

*sigggghh Alex & Ellen! It all worked out, as in real life Michael J. Fox (Alex) DID marry Tracy Pollan (Ellen) so I was happy.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

FORT Newbie
    Vera also sings the theme song to "King of Queens", so I hear him twice a day. Yes, I'm hopelessly addicted to Doug and Carrie's brainless adventures.

Billy Vera is one of those guys who can truly sing. Not much to look at... but an incredible voice.

For some reason I was thinking the song " At this moment"...was part of "Moonlighting" show also...

For all of you who were not part of the mid' 1980's you are not going to recall most of these bands. Anyone in high school or college from 1983-1989... will recall nearly all these bands. Which makes anyone in their mid' 30's to early 40's the core group to watch this show...
    Last edited by gaby; 06-23-2005 at 12:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast