+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6/23: Club Nouveau

6/23: Club Nouveau

From the official site:

Club Nouveau ushered in a new sound in music, It was 1986 and "Rumors" took the music business by storm, But Club Nouveau was more than just a new group with a new sound and a new hit. Club Nouveau brought a new attitude, Led by Jay King & Valerie Watson (as the Timex Social Club) "Rumors" was Independently Produced, Manufactured, Distributed, Marketed & Promoted without the help of a Major Record Company on any level.

Club Nouveau's success brought them to the attention of a young up and coming record executive by the name of Benny Medina who had just come to Warner Brothers as the Head A&R Rep for their R&B Division. Medina made the King Jay Record Label and Club Nouveau his first signing and "Jealousy" (#8 Billboard R&B) was released as the first single from the album titled "Life, Love & Pain" (released in 1986). Jealousy was followed by "Situation#9"(#4 Billboard R&B) both released in 1986.

The next single to be released would be the single that would put Club Nouveau on the map. In February of 1987 "Lean On Me"(#1 Billboard Pop,#2 billboard R&B) steamed on to the top of the pop charts and blasted Club Nouveau off into the stratosphere right in the middle of the "Ready for the World" (love you down), "Bobby Brown"(girlfriend) tour which they were the opening act for, but things were changing fast and Club Nouveau could feel the audience feeling them and soon they were no longer opening up the show but second on the bill and in some markets closing the show.

Club Nouveau is now stepping into the new millennium with a new single, new album and new tour with the single and album set for release sometime in the spring or summer of 2005 and the tour to soon follow so look for Val, Jay & Mario to be in a city near you. Currently Jay King is running Thump Classic R&B record label (distributed through Universal Music Group) Val Watson Has released a new solo Album (Urbal) and Mario is working on the new Club Nouveau project and a solo effort.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Wow, I didn't know that Timex Social Club and and Club Nouveau were the same people.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    Wow, I didn't know that Timex Social Club and and Club Nouveau were the same people.
    I didn't either...........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Their cover is Thank You by Dido.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs

That could be interesting...

I'm looking forward to seeing these guys. I was a big fan of their versions of "Lean On Me" and "Rumors".

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Don't you mean their second cover of the evening?
    Let me get this right...A band that did a cover of a song as their most famous song gets to appear so they can get do another cover?
    Last edited by Unklescott; 06-23-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Very true....but to sound very Paula like, the do have a knack for making each song their own.

I like their version of Lean on Me better than the original though.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread