+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6/23: Thelma Houston

6/23: Thelma Houston

From the official site:

Thelma Houston came from humble roots to achieve stardom as a disco diva in the 1970s. Before achieving mainstream success with her hit song, "Don't Leave Me this Way," Thelma had already married, had two children, and started a career in the health-care industry. But music had always been a part of her life and its pull was undeniable.

Early in her music career, she was a member of the renowned gospel group, "The Art Reynolds Singers," which brought her to the attention of the Dunhill Label. In 1969 she recorded her first album, "Sunshower," an R&B album produced by legendary songwriter Jimmy Webb. Stardom, however, eluded Thelma for a few more years. Although she signed with Motown in 1971, it wasn't until the 1976 release of the LP "Any Way You Like It" that she found mainstream success. The now classic "Don't Leave Me Baby," a disco-infused dance song, came from this record and brought Thelma worldwide fame and a Grammy award for "Best R&B Female Vocal Performance."

Over the next two decades, Thelma continued to record and perform, scoring hits with songs like "Saturday Night, Sunday Morning," "I Can't Go On Living Without Your Love," and "I'm Here Again." She also branched out as an actress, appearing on stage, screen, and television.

Today, when not focusing on various humanitarian causes, Thelma continues to give high-energy performances around the world.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Wow, they went way back for this one! Though I do love that song...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Yay! I love Thelma Houston! She's got quite a voice!
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Wow! She's gotta be in her 60sby now.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Her cover is Alicia Key's song - Fallin'
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Her cover is Alicia Key's song - Fallin'
    I can see her doing really well with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar
    Wow! She's gotta be in her 60sby now.
    Almost. Wikipedia gives her birthdate as May 7, 1946.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGuy
    Almost. Wikipedia gives her birthdate as May 7, 1946.
    According to Allmusic her birthday is May 7, 1943 which would make her 62. My only problem with her performance last week was that she looked like she was trying to look 20. She had on a dress that really was more appropriate for a 20-year-old and what was with the blonde dreads?? She looked like she was trying to come across as a teenager. I found myself yelling at my TV screen "THELMA, SWEETIE! YOU'RE 62! STOP TRYING TO LOOK 20!" I'm not saying she should've looked frumpy or old but wear something at least a little more age appropriate and get rid of the teen dreads.
    Last edited by nilesgirl; 06-28-2005 at 11:30 AM.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread