+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/23: Greg Kihn

6/23: Greg Kihn

From the official site:

Greg Kihn began his career in his hometown of Baltimore, MD, working in the singer/songwriter mold, but switching to straightforward rock & roll when he moved to San Francisco in 1974. In 1976, after his debut on the compilation Beserkley Chartbusters, he recorded his first album with his own band, which consisted of Ronnie Dunbar (guitar), Steve Wright (bass), and Larry Lynch (drums). Through the '70s, he released an album each year and built a strong cult following through constant touring, becoming Beserkley's biggest seller. In 1981, he earned his first bona fide hit with the Top 20 single, "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)," from the "RocKihnRoll" album. He continued in a more commercial vein through the '80s with a series of pun-titled albums: "Kihntinued" (1982), "Kihnspiracy" (1983), "Kihntageous" (1984), and "Citizen Kihn" (1985).

Kihn's most recent project is the release of his latest book, "Carved in Rock," a collection of short stories written by musicians such as Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Pete Townsend (The Who) and Joan Jett. Kihn is also the #1 rated morning drive time jock for Clear Channel's KFOX station (San Jose/San Francisco).

Greg Kihn is also performing:

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (Green Day)
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Greg Kihn is also performing:

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" (Green Day)
    This should be interesting.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Didn't he do "(Our love's in ) Jeapordy" ? Am I confused?
    Last edited by jasmar; 06-21-2005 at 03:02 AM.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

You are correct.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Thanks, JLuvs!

In that case, I so wish they'd get Weird Al.
    Token Christian.

LG.
    OMG, I remember Weird Al's parody of "Our Loves in Jeopardy" which was "I Lost On Jeopardy" and quite hilarious.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG.
    OMG, I remember Weird Al's parody of "Our Loves in Jeopardy" which was "I Lost On Jeopardy" and quite hilarious.
    Now I've got Weird Al stuck on my mind. I'm sitting here in my cube remembering the lyrics as I'm supposed to be working.

"I was there to match my intellect on national TV
    Against a plumber, oh, and an architect, both with a PhD"

When Weird Al is on, he is downright funny.
    "To be is to do"--Socrates.
    "To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra

I'm the queen of misspelling

Weird Al's "I'm Fat" was one of the funniest things to come out of American humor. Ever. Even as a former figure skater-turned almost plus-sized mother of three, "Fat" makes me laugh myself sick. It is hysterical!
    Token Christian.

I have a confession to make. Greg Kihn was one of my biggest rock crushes..ever. I collected on him; someone from a record store gave me an almost life-sized cardboard standup of him that I had in my room. It was that bad. I called out sick from work one day and went to Peaches Records and Tapes in Northeast Philadelphia and met the band. I had corresponded with their publicist and found out Greg's middle name is Stanley! LOL! When I hit him with that, he was absolutely shocked that I knew! This crush-to-the-hilt went on for a few years, then faded away.

I never kept up on him after that.

It might not even need to be said that when I saw what he looked like the other night (otherwise I never watch this show at all, I'm serious), I gasped and started to cry. I said out loud to nobody in particular, "He's all beefy and beery!!!" Very upsetting...he used to be so cute. My God...I felt so old seeing him all blown up and bloated like that.

And his voice, where were the clear tones I remembered? I would strongly suggest anyone who's curious to pick up his first three releases - "Greg Kihn", "Greg Kihn Again" and, most of all, "Next of Kihn". You will understand the difference very clearly, and really appreciate why I loved him during his early years.

I thought he sounded great....but then again I have been known to have faulty hearing.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast