+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 6/16 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    I will tell you this. We do react differently for each performance. The sound is way toned down though. ...... We couldn't even hear Vanilla Ice when I was there.
    After you mention that last week... I watched the repeat on Bravo. And how right you are. They crowd is going crazy during Vanilla Ice performance... yet all you hear is him singing with no crowd noise.

So tell me... who are the performers at the upcoming shows you got to see??

The shows aren't taped yet. It will be the people that were announced tonight and the people they announce at the taping next week.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    The shows aren't taped yet. It will be the people that were announced tonight and the people they announce at the taping next week.
    Ohhh I thought they had already taped these shows!

But every week the performances get better... I just wish they would stick to 80's pop-rock theme... and we get to see people that really have not been on MTV for 20 years. Oh how I miss MTV... when it used to about showing actual video's. I am going to have to break down and pay to get Classic VH1.

I remember when VH1 was the adult contemporary (read: boring) alternative to MTV.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Burntcrow
    Just dropping in to say this is a really bad show. It stinks of skunk spray and poop water.
    I ACTUALLY snorted when I read that! OMG haha

My opinion on the night's performances:

Time has not been kind to the guys in Wang Chung. They did fine on "Everybody Have Fun Tonight", as well they should have. When I heard them say they were going to do a Nelly song, I thought, "Oh please, God, no..." But, I have to say they did better than I thought they would.

I didn't like that Sophie B. Hawkins song then, and I don't like it now, although I guess she did sound just like she used to. Then, she absolutely massacred that Five For Fighting song so badly that it took me a while before I even recognized the song. Go back to riding your bicycle in Malibu, Sophie. Please.

I thought Cameo's performances were a lot of fun. They sounded great on "Word Up", and I was immediately taken back to my senior year in college. Their version of "1985" wasn't as good as the original, of course, but I liked their take on it.

I think the reason Howard Jones didn't win might be because his song choices were both too mellow. I wish he had sung "Things Can Only Get Better" for his first number. That would have really gotten the audience going! I'm not sure why he chose to go unplugged on "White Flag"; I would have liked to have heard more instruments. He did sound great on both songs, though.

Irene Cara looks and sounds almost exactly like she did 25(?) years ago. Personally, I was hoping she'd sing "Fame", but I guess she sang the Flashdance song because it's the one that won the Oscar and not "Fame". IMO, she's a bit too old to front a girl group (and that name...Hot Caramel? Puhleeze...), but they did sound good.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Wow, was I out of sync with the audience voters!

I had it ranked as follows, I wish they would tell us at least who the top two were!

1. Howard Jones -- I thought he did great
    2. Sophie B Hawkins -- I think she did a good job (spastic movements notwithstanding)
    3. Wang Chung -- "Hot in Herr" was so good. I got a kick out of it.
    4. Irene Cara -- "What a feeling" was now brought down to a lower level, because she can't sing like she used to, and she still couldn't make it and tried to growl/scream it. I do not count her second performance. She sang with a group. That's not fair.
    5. Cameo -- I didn't like it. I'm too biased, I wanted it to sound like it does on my records. And 1985 was changed too much, not in a good way.
    Could does not mean should

I am glad to see that others agree with me about how awful Irene Cara was. I was wishing that she would stand still and sing. Unless you are in terrific shape you cannot move around that much and sing successfully. Very disappointing.

For me, Wang Chung was the best. For 50ish white British guys to do justice to "Hot in Herre" is pretty cool. HoJo was good too, just way too mellow, as others have said. He was likely forgotten amongst the energy of the other acts/trainwrecks.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I think by far, Howard Jones sounded the best. I think the fact his songs were on the mellow side was the deciding factor. His voice is still pure and terrific. I'd buy his version of White Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    His voice is still pure and terrific. I'd buy his version of White Flag.
    I would as well! In fact, if I hadn't ever heard the song before but was familiar with the HoJo of the past, I'd swear it was his song to begin with. It's very up his alley and was a good choice to match some of his other music as well as his voice.

+ Reply to Thread