+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/16: Sophie B Hawkins

6/16: Sophie B Hawkins

From the official site:

In 1992 Hawkins emerged from a fierce bidding war with a debut album, TONGUES & TAILS, that quickly went gold, earned her a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist, as well as launching the single "Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover," into the Top Five. Another gold album, WHALER, followed two years later, along with a single, "As I Lay Me Down," that would chart in Billboard for a record-breaking sixty-seven weeks. By the time she got to TIMBRE in 1999, she had won universal respect for her rare blend of multi-instrumental and vocal talent, songwriting craftsmanship, and gutsy honesty. On her new album WILDERNESS--her first independently recorded, conceived and released album, co-produced with production wizards Christian and Frank Berman (Amber, Baha Men, Real McCoy)--the provocative singer/songwriter declares her freedom with, paradoxically, the most accessible project of her career.

Sophie B. Hawkins is also performing:

"100 Years" (Five for Fighting)
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think she has a good shot to win too as she is more well known with the younger crowd.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Whereas I, OTOH, have never heard of her.

(But I have heard of her dumb "Damnů" song.)
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

She's actually reasonably talented, but was never really the "superstar" they claim these people had to have been. For one thing, she never hit #1. Most (if not all) of the previous performers have--even if it was their only hit.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Ugh, does she really have to sing that song?? It gives me severe Beverly Hills 90210 flashbacks to hear it, not to mention that one of my friends practically wore out her Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover tape from playing it so often. I really really need to watch her first performance with the mute button pushed.

I prefer As I lay Me Down, but it's all relative. It's only slightly less annoying.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Sheesh.. how embarrassing was her performance?! Big ole sweaty arm pits and she kept raising her arms showing them! Then I figured someone, somehow, told her about it...so she decides to take it off (shirt) and wave it all around her head. Stinky!
    She looked like she was impersonating a helicopter.

I've liked her in the past, but this performance was subpar, to say the least.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I loved her first song, but she lost me on the second one.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

All I could think about during Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover, was how pretentious wearing those ripped jeans were. I was also wondering if her career had turned out so badly that maybe she was living on the street.

Actually she is still doing concerts and stuff. She has a pretty loyal fanbase still out there.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast