+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1/11 Recap: "Last Dance, Last Chance for Romance"

1/11 Recap: "Last Dance, Last Chance for Romance"

Well, our time here together at the scenic Oahu reunion estate is nearing its end. Soon, the Cardinal Gibbons classmates (and Rival Bill) will go their separate ways. I know what you’re thinking - but, but, but…we haven’t seen enough hot tub scenes yet! No worries, this week’s episode is chock full of hall passes and cuddly goodness. It’s a regular free-for-all as everyone has one last chance to grab a hall pass and the object of their desire and make this reunion one to remember.

When we last visited the reunion estate, there was some serious drama going on. Most notably, the nerds had arrived and bewitched the rest of the classmates with their illusion of wealth and success. Nikol really shook things up by going on a hall pass with Eze, much to the dismay of her beloved, but ball-less Jim. Loudmouth John, irate at having been outed for calling Brien M.’s Torie a slut, stormed away from the estate in a drunken rage, before wandering back to really show them all what he is made of.

Nikol sits on the porch with the other gals and relays the details of her hall pass with Eze. She explains how uncomfortable everything was with him pressuring her and telling her that Jim “is not that into you”, urging her to tell everyone in the house that she is with him now. Whoa Nelly, way to get ahead of yourself, bud. Just because you have been longing for her all these years doesn’t mean that Nikol every gave you much thought before you asked her on a hall pass. She has been too busy mooning over Jim, which is obvious to everyone else in the house except for Eze. Jim, however, is nervous that Nikol might be pulling away from him because he has not been forthcoming with his feelings for her. While she has been laying it all on the line, he has been scared of being hurt and has remained somewhat reserved and distant. Will a little competition give him the push he needs?

Brien M. tells the others about Loudmouth John’s outburst and his vehement denial that he ever referred to Torie as a whore. Methinks the loudmouth doth protest too much. However, Brien says he believes him, and the two bury the hatchet. Actually, John is telling the truth – he never called Torie a whore, at least not on camera. I believe the term of endearment he used to describe her was “slut”.

Come on, everyone – get it on! We need ratings people, ratings!
    The house bulletin board has been updated and the day’s announcement has been posted. There will be one more chance for everyone to get a hall pass and ask whomever they would like to “get to know better” *wink* before the end of the reunion. This a great plan, as long as no one beats you to your honey and asks her first.

Gianni is first to take advantage of the hall pass offer and quickly whisks Loretta away to ask for one last date. He believes that Loretta is holding back because he lives in Italy, and says he has a surprise to give her tonight that could change his life if everything goes as planned. Loretta confesses that she really likes Gianni, but it is unrealistic to think there is a future for them since they live so far apart.

Meathead Brian says that he wants to make the most of his reunion, and while he has been the life of the party during his time there, he has not had a chance to get to know anyone one-on-one. He selects Nikki to be the lucky recipient of his hall pass and she accepts. He thinks she is the best fit for him and she is flattered that one of the guys noticed her enough to invite her out.

Jim also moves quickly to seize the hall pass opportunity. Now that Nikol has gone out on a date with Eze, he realizes he has to act fast - he’s no fool. He knows he has to do something or risk losing her to someone else. Meanwhile, Jen the Predator makes herself available to be asked out by Jim, sitting by his side and slinging her arm around his shoulders, but he plays it cool and holds out for Nikol. He tracks her down in the bathroom and tells her he’d like it if she’d go out with him because he has some things he wants to tell her. On the outside she is aloof, but she tells us she is actually very excited. She accepts the date and a quick kiss from Jim.

Kristian and Matt are starting to feel remorseful about the huge lie they have told about being millionaires. They both express their guilt over having chosen to come to the reunion under false pretenses, only to realize that the other folks have grown up into some nice people. They worry about keeping up the lie and becoming the laughingstock of the reunion. It’s too bad they missed the good time the others had ridiculing their yearbook photos. Meathead Brian pulls Kristian aside to tell him that what happened in high school doesn’t matter, that they are all adults now, and no one is an outcast anymore. Man, people really do mature quickly when they spot a former nerd driving a red Corvette, don’t they? It really gives me warm fuzzies inside. Actually, there are a few fleeting moments where I think he’s being sincere. Or it could be the booze talking.

Folks are lounging around in the living room when Eze marches in and points his finger at Nikol, saying authoritatively, “Come here.” She follows him to another room where he invites her on another hall pass. She awkwardly explains to him that she was uncomfortable last night and also felt bad about herself when he told her that Jim was not into her. She tells him that she is facing a dilemma, because Jim has already asked her to go with him. But its not really a dilemma, because she has already said yes to Jim, and wouldn’t a dilemma imply that she had still to make a choice? Eh, technicalities. Eze is upset and leaves the room. Nikol follows after him, but not until after she has stopped and consulted with Gianni for a man’s point of view. He helps her to see that she had only gone out with Eze because Jim wasn’t opening up to her. She sits down with Eze and explains that she still needs to see where things are going with Jim and that she doesn’t mean to hurt his feelings. Eze is incredibly disappointed and leaves dejectedly, saying he is ready to go home.

Pick me! Pick me!
    A new announcement appears on the bulletin board stating that the prom will be the next day. The housemates should find dates and cast their ballots to vote for Prom King and Prom Queen. Nikki pipes up that she wants to be Prom Queen since she never got it in high school. Uh hello, neither did 98% of the rest of the school. They all cast their votes and everyone goes to get ready for their dates. Aside from the six people using the hall pass, everyone else goes off together to a bar, where they drink, mingle, and play pool. Rival Bill invites Torie to go to the prom with him, and she is pleased to have a date, especially since all the girls think Bill is a hottie. Jen invites Eze to be her date for the prom, and he seems really relieved to be invited. Matt pulls up next to Jaime at the bar and talks to her about her high school prom experience. He invites her to the prom and she accepts. In an aside, he mentions that if she actually likes him for more than his “money”, he’ll feel kind of bad. Sorry Matt, I don’t think you have to worry about that. I’m not saying that there is nothing to like about Matt, but every time Jaime mentions him to the camera, she refers to him as “the millionaire”. It’s a bit telling, don’t you think?

Hall Pass Number One – Gianni and Loretta
    They get dressed up and Loretta lives up to her hottie reputation in a slinky white dress that looks great on her. They arrive at their destination, some random place outside with five million candles and a romantic table for two. After sharing some wine and making googly eyes at each other for a while, Gianni tells Loretta that she is someone he is not willing to pass up and presents her with a ticket to Italy. Loretta seems very touched and proclaims that she would love to come visit him in Italy. They stroll into the house for some nookie and fuzzy blob action.

Hall Pass Number Two – Brian A. and Nikki
    The two go off to another one of those nameless locations where they chat about high school, drink, and act goofy. There doesn’t seem to be a romantic connection there, but they seem to have fun, laughing and forcing each other to eat slimy-looking things.

Hall Pass Number Three – Brien M. and Torie
    Brien and Torie slip away from the rest of the crowd at the bar and journey back to the reunion estate. We learn that Brien chose to have his date with Torie back at the house so that it could be as “normal” as possible. Well, as normal as you can get with cameramen and a production crew following you everywhere. I had wondered why we didn’t see an invitation between these two, but I guess Brien had planned it as a surprise. He leads Torie into the house with her eyes closed. When she opens them she sees that the living room is completely covered with candles, very romantic. She gets all choked up and buries her face in his shoulder, wiping tears from her eyes. They drink and feed each other and cuddle on the sofa. It’s very obvious that these two really like each other as they stare into each other’s eyes and talk about how intense their feelings are. Brian expresses that he is a little scared by how quickly their emotions have progressed to such a high level in such a short time. The mood is dampened a bit as he tells Torie that while he definitely would like to see her after the reunion, he might like to slow down a bit. She is upset and worries about losing this incredible connection with him because of his fear of commitment and relationships.

Hall Pass Number Four – Jim and Nikol
    Jim and Nikol arrive at their date cottage and he immediately asks her about her date with Eze. Nikol explains her discomfort and that her reasoning behind going on the date was because she did not feel Jim making any efforts with her. He takes the hint and tells her that he was afraid of reliving the heartbreak from high school, but that he realizes that he doesn’t want to leave the reunion without accomplishing anything. He wants her to know that he does recognize that she has put herself out there to be with him and that he does care about her and love her and wants to be with her. A big smile spreads across Nikol’s face as she finally hears what she has wanted to hear. The two of them change into their bathing suits and make their way to a bubbly Jacuzzi accented with candles and rose petals. They make plans to be each other’s date for the prom and realize they have a chance to make up for the fact that they didn’t attend their senior prom together. Both feel that this is the beginning of a real relationship and that they have a future together.

Kristian and Carin talk about their high school experiences, and Kristian seems surprised to learn that there is someone else at the reunion who had a less than perfect time at Cardinal Gibbons. Carin explains that even though the popular crowd were her friends, she shares some of his feelings for them. In spite of the really bad editing job, I think it is safe to assume that neither of these folks liked the popular crowd very much, since we all know it isn’t any fun to be overweight in high school. Kristian says that high school was very materialistic and that driving in the parking lot at their school was like being at a car show. Carin cleverly points out the irony that he chose to arrive at the reunion in a Corvette. Kristian seems to realize his slip and laughs it off as a joke. Carin explains that many of them are still getting over their issues from high school, and that this is a good time to do that.

It’s the morning of the prom and the classmates hang out in the pool, enjoying one of their last opportunities to relax at the estate. The girls begin to primp and Meathead Brian has Jaime shave his back. Kristian and Matt look around nervously at the others. I think that living this lie has made them feel even more like outsiders than they would have had they just been themselves. They are planning to reveal their secret right before they leave the reunion. It ain’t gonna be purty.

Next week: Prom night revisited – only this time, the booze is legal.

Send wrist corsages and hairspray to onetvslave@fansofrealitytv.com
    Last edited by oneTVslave; 01-14-2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Such great observations, as usual, Otis! Now what color dress are you wearing for the Prom episode?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Premium Member
    EXCELLENT recap, oTVs !! Brilliant, Academy worthy writing!
    And to prove that:

Nominated for best non-PC description of a reality tv show male (with emphasis on 'correct' description, however):
    Nikol really shook things up by going on a hall pass with Eze, much to the dismay of her beloved, but ball-less Jim.
    Nominated for best (and most accurate) use of statistics to invalidate a weak argument:
    Nikki pipes up that she wants to be Prom Queen since she never got it in high school. Uh hello, neither did 98% of the rest of the school.
    Nominated for demonstrating the best 'what were they thinking' moment:
    I think that living this lie has made them feel even more like outsiders than they would have had they just been themselves.
    So true.
    And finally, Nominated worthy of causing one to waste Dr Pepper by having it come out my nose (ouch! by the way):
    They stroll into the house for some nookie and fuzzy blob action.
    Thanks for the wonderful read!

Help!

Did you by chance see the sneak peek for next week's episode? Unfortunately....living in Michigan, the Pistons game was on, so HSR3 was pre-empted. I heard that Jim is getting it on with a girl in a lacey black dress in the bathroom. Does it look like he's messing around with Jen?

Celtic Queen, I watched the previews several times trying to figure out who was getting in on with the black lace dress girl and who she is. I think they want us to think that it is Jim and Jen, but Jen seems to be wearing a floral dress at the prom. Last week, the previews made this week's episode look like Jim was walking in on Nikol with Eze, which never happened, and there are a number of other places where they edited bits of conversation together to appear more scandalous than they actually were.

By the way, to the FORT!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I know what you’re thinking - but, but, but…we haven’t seen enough hot tub scenes yet!

Actually, John is telling the truth – he never called Torie a whore, at least not on camera. I believe the term of endearment he used to describe her was “slut”.

Come on, everyone – get it on! We need ratings people, ratings!

Brilliance! I lurve me some OTS recaps.

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    She explains how uncomfortable everything was with him pressuring her and telling her that Jim “is not that into you”, urging her to tell everyone in the house that she is with him now.

referred to Torie as a whore. Methinks the loudmouth doth protest too much.

I believe the term of endearment he used to describe her was “slut”.

Man, people really do mature quickly when they spot a former nerd driving a red Corvette, don’t they? It really gives me warm fuzzies inside. Actually, there are a few fleeting moments where I think he’s being sincere. Or it could be the booze talking.

but every time Jaime mentions him to the camera, she refers to him as “the millionaire”. It’s a bit telling, don’t you think?

They stroll into the house for some nookie and fuzzy blob action.

Fantastic recap OTS, and fantastic reunion-y good job all season! I it.....all. And you. *gunka da dunka da dunka*<---sound of beating heart.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

good recap i enjoyed it so much.

hope to have another recap. it's not boring i guess..

+ Reply to Thread