+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 7/21 HGTV Star 8: FINALE **West Cost Spoilers**

7/21 HGTV Star 8: FINALE **West Cost Spoilers**

Who is going to win this thing?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 7/21 HGTV Star 8: FINALE **West Cost Spoilers**

Wow! No comments. I guess this was a dud of a season.

For me, I didn't get much of a sense of any of the designers, largely, I think, because there were so many team challenges that everyone's point of view was always compromised.

In the final challenge, Brooks' suite was a mess with the Versailles/mid-century modern theme.

I preferred Jerbai's suite over Tiffany's, although Tiffany's fireplace was incredible and a good design element. Tiffany is definitely the better presenter. But going back to David's season where they picked the designer over presentation, I thought Jerbai was going to win. Jerbai's presentation skills were pretty good - he could have been brought up to speed quickly. I'm more interested in seeing what Jerbai does than Tiffany - though her Alice in Wonderland bus was really interesting. I'll definitely give her show a try when it airs.
    sparklete likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Wow! No comments. I guess this was a dud of a season.

For me, I didn't get much of a sense of any of the designers, largely, I think, because there were so many team challenges that everyone's point of view was always compromised.

In the final challenge, Brooks' suite was a mess with the Versailles/mid-century modern theme.

I preferred Jerbai's suite over Tiffany's, although Tiffany's fireplace was incredible and a good design element. Tiffany is definitely the better presenter. But going back to David's season where they picked the designer over presentation, I thought Jerbai was going to win. Jerbai's presentation skills were pretty good - he could have been brought up to speed quickly. I'm more interested in seeing what Jerbai does than Tiffany - though her Alice in Wonderland bus was really interesting. I'll definitely give her show a try when it airs.
    I think they could put together a good "team" show with the 3 of them.

I think Tiffany is actually the most bland and ordinary of the three of them.

I like Jerbai both design-wise and presentation wise.

I like Brooks, but I don't know what he was thinking with this challenge. If he was envisioning a resort with "themed" suites it was innovative and a great idea and he should have said that. The bedroom was way too cluttered. I would probably fall over something if I got out of bed while still sleepy.

So ... give them a show together.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I'm okay with Tiffany winning, but I think they played it safe. She is the cookie cutter version of any other 'designer' on HGTV. If they wanted someone unique and different, they would have picked Brooks. If they wanted to jump on the "hunky handyman" bandwagon, they would have chosen Jeribai.

I never understood why Jeribai being low-keyed was a problem. There's a BIG difference between being calm & being borning. You can be one without the other . . . . . in both directions! I don't need an always perky, hyper designer wiggin' out over wallpaper or fake fireplaces.

The key thing for me was when David told Jeribai he had improved in his camera challenge BUT he was still too mellow. The very next thing to be shown was Tiffany. I had to turn the volume down because she was SHOUTING AT ME! Saying your idea LOUDER than the other guy doesn't make it anymore appealing. It actually does the opposite. After a very short while, I lose interest because I feel like I'm being scolded for not thinking of it first.
    sparklete likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    I think they could put together a good "team" show with the 3 of them.

I think Tiffany is actually the most bland and ordinary of the three of them.

I like Jerbai both design-wise and presentation wise.

I like Brooks, but I don't know what he was thinking with this challenge. If he was envisioning a resort with "themed" suites it was innovative and a great idea and he should have said that. The bedroom was way too cluttered. I would probably fall over something if I got out of bed while still sleepy.

So ... give them a show together.
    That might be an interesting show.

Brooks main problem is that he hasn't designed for many clients. While I liked his Versailles in the Desert theme he seemed to go Victorian Bordello in the bedroom and I didn't like it at all way too busy.

Tiffany - jute rug. My cousin puts down a jute rug in her family room for the summer. Ow, ow, ow. I like to walk barefoot inside and you can't do that on a jute rug.

I think it is a toss up between Jeribai and Tiffany design wise. Can you really tell they difference between any of their rooms if you didn't now who had done it.

Seriously who is going to watch any of their shows?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I forgot about it and just now got caught up by watching online.

Brooks really stepped it up in his on camera work. I have to say that I found Jeribai's camera "style" the best, though. Tiffany's was fine, and any winner is going to get the coaching etc. I think they ALL demonstrated that they COULD host a show. But I'm not excited about watching any of them in a show, and since it'll be Tiffany, I'm not that excited about watching her. In fact, I don't remember being excited to watch ANY of them, other than David. :-/ Oh, and the few shows I've seen with Vern Yip (other than this one), he certainly doesn't have a hyper high energy style! Jeribai made me smile (well, so did Brooks, THIS time, when he jumped on the bed).

I really think there is something else factored in that they totally don't mention. Like a template of what "kind" of show they think they can come up with; then they pick the one of the last few remaining who best fits that idea. Does anyone watch Meg's show? I caught a few and lost interest. I don't think Danielle's has started airing yet.

HGTV seems like pretty much of a wasteland to me now, except that I like ANYTHING with The Property Brothers, or I should say, everything that they've done so far. I'm sure there are things they could do that I wouldn't watch. Anyway, is it just because it's summer? It's all boring crap. And the trend seems to be competition and confrontations. Does everything have to be adversarial? I get so tired of the bickering between Hillary and David (I can't tell if its real, or if they're just better actors than their bland clones, whatever their names are). Sometimes it seems so scripted, other times it seems like there are a lot of things that they're being restrained from saying; whichever, it doesn't make it enjoyable to me. The "nyah-nyah-nyah" tone is not something I want to watch.

I also got caught up on the first episode of Brother vs. Brother. They too have a little of the "nyah-nyah" going on too, but at least with them, I can believe it is only friendly and jokey. The premise of them mentoring and guiding instead of making the decisions for their teams is a nice change, as long as they keep doing their other show(s) too. And I like that the most major factor is who adds the most value to their property. The "guest" judges is interesting. Wonder who else will be guesting as the series goes along. Also happy that they're just offering a monetary prize and no guarantee of a new show.

Other than David (and I'm not sure about him, is Color Splash still making new shows?), are any of the Design Star winners still doing a show? As I mentioned before, I believe Danielle has a show coming out (this fall?), but are the others still going? I never seem to see them on the schedule. Pretty tired of House Hunters too, especially since it seems like every one they show, I've seen multiple times before!

Another female wins. Has a guy won since David? His is the only show still going strong.

Was Jerebai wearing a Brooks tee shirt? Sorry, but I can't stand the Property Brothers and they were there to promote their new gig which will take over the time slot next Sunday.

What was Brooks thinking with that bedroom wallpaper and the goldish paint on the wall trim? While his room grabbed you by the throat, he should stick with art and architecture and not be on TV. I thought Jerebai had a good shot, too bad he was so tired and the energy level he showed on The Talk wasn't there. The fireplace was the most mid-century bit of architecture included and her camera work has always been pretty good, so it's Tiffany's win.

I loved that there were no conflicts with the other contestants brought back as helpers. Each team was rooting for "their" designer.
    sparklete likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I knew Brooks lost when he he just didnt use his wall pattern as an accent wall. Having them on all walls was a bit too much. I actually find him the most interesting of the three. So it was between Jerebai and Tiffany. Jerebai has one major mistake and its that huge open space which he didn't do anything about. It would have been an opportunity to create a focal point, perhaps a sculpture, plants and flowers would help? Tiffany only had two minor comments and one of them is the jute rug plus they like her best in the camera challenge so I knew she won. So how many female winners we have now in a row?

Must be six since David was number 1 and Antonio was number 4.

I'll start -others can finish who I can't remember...

Danielle
    Meg
    Emily
    Leslie (All Stars Edition)

ETA: Kim
    and most recent - Tiffany

that's six
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-23-2013 at 02:13 AM.

There was a Kim ... was that second season?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast