+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 7/7 HGTV Star 8 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

7/7 HGTV Star 8 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

In teams of men vs. women, they are helping out a fraternity and sorority revamp their common space. Why does this sound ho-hum? C'mon, let's bring it up to the level of David's enthusiasm!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 7/7 HGTV Star 8 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

It sounds ho-hum because it was ho-hum! None of these finalists have any sort of on-camera personalities, they are extremely boring. I wasn't impressed by either design.
    justCoz likes this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I can't believe Boris was stupid enough to put an off-white linen couch in a frat house. What a moron!
    That thing would be trashed in no time flat.

That blunder got him sent home (finally!), he was just way too creepy with that smile of his.

The next challenge (redoing a school bus) looks rather interesting!
    mom2, dzigner, Shoepie and 1 others like this.

FORT Fogey

I like the last 4 designers. They are the right ones.

From a technical perspective, the red head is best on camera, but man. She's boring. Give me one of the other 3 any day of the week.

I think the young guy will win. He has the right mix of creative and handyman skills needed and he's the most personable of the bunch.

I did think that the sorority house was better looking over all. I did wonder about Ann spray painting that side board without sanding it first. It would have looked great if they had had the time to have it professionally painted and in either grey or the red.

I think Boris had two mistakes, the pale linen sofa and not having a border or some kind of pattern on the curtains.
    Duckyface likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Well, I was glad to see Boris go - and he deserved to go home for choosing that couch.

When Boris was pushing Jerebai to refinish the table, I wondered why Jerebai just didn't say something like, "You're right. The best option is to keep the table. I think YOU should go with that." As handy as Jerebai is, surely Boris must know how to refinish wood. And it wasn't clear to me what Jerebai would have done with his time if he wasn't working on the table.

Both of those rooms were only okay. Very disappointing.

The on-camera presentations weren't that great either, but I'd rather see some fantastic design from someone at this point. In David's season, I looked forward to seeing what he would do next. He often did poorly on-camera, but that can be improved with training and practice. Design has to come first.

I haven't seen any great design this season. To be fair, I think all the challenges have been team challenges except for the first one and it's rare to get good design out of a team challenge - just too many compromises have to be made. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the designers come up with next week in the INDIVIDUAL school bus challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Well, I was glad to see Boris go - and he deserved to go home for choosing that couch.

When Boris was pushing Jerebai to refinish the table, I wondered why Jerebai just didn't say something like, "You're right. The best option is to keep the table. I think YOU should go with that." As handy as Jerebai is, surely Boris must know how to refinish wood. And it wasn't clear to me what Jerebai would have done with his time if he wasn't working on the table.

Both of those rooms were only okay. Very disappointing.

The on-camera presentations weren't that great either, but I'd rather see some fantastic design from someone at this point. In David's season, I looked forward to seeing what he would do next. He often did poorly on-camera, but that can be improved with training and practice. Design has to come first.

I haven't seen any great design this season. To be fair, I think all the challenges have been team challenges except for the first one and it's rare to get good design out of a team challenge - just too many compromises have to be made. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the designers come up with next week in the INDIVIDUAL school bus challenge.
    Those stupid camera challenges didn't happen until after David's season. I did see a behind the scenes thing where they showed how they prepped for David's show and he had a lot of coaching from the producers.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The right person definitely went home this week. Those curtains and that couch were both bad decisions.

I too wondered why Jerebai didn't just say "Refinishing the table is a great idea Boris, why don't you do that?" Why did it have to be Jerebai? It's not like stripping, sanding and staining is hard, especially on a flat surface like that table, especially when you have someone to help you. It's just time consuming.

Woohoo! Finally Boris is gone. The white linen couch and the solid black curtains were bad choices.

I was disappointed Brooks leaped at the idea to do yard sale finds for the lighting. David pointed out early that they would need a lot of lower level lighting in order to turn off the florescent. I sometimes think Brooks is a little too granola and, at the same time, artistic for this show. He hasn't had a really good camera challenge yet.

Jerbai was in charge of lighting, but Brooks took over once they were in the van.

Next week looks fun...sort of like the funky late challenges they have had in the past few years.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast