+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 7/7 HGTV Star 8 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 7/7 HGTV Star 8 Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Those stupid camera challenges didn't happen until after David's season. I did see a behind the scenes thing where they showed how they prepped for David's show and he had a lot of coaching from the producers.
    I remember that behind-the-scenes show - I remember Clive giving David pointers. (I miss Clive's humor.)

But I swear I remember at least some camera challenges with David. The woman designer from Texas with long dark hair came across much better on the camera challenges - as did the guy who came in third.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I was disappointed Brooks leaped at the idea to do yard sale finds for the lighting. David pointed out early that they would need a lot of lower level lighting in order to turn off the florescent. I sometimes think Brooks is a little too granola and, at the same time, artistic for this show. He hasn't had a really good camera challenge yet.

Jerbai was in charge of lighting, but Brooks took over once they were in the van.

Next week looks fun...sort of like the funky late challenges they have had in the past few years.
    Can't either of these guys count? Or design a lighting plan? I took a couple of interior design classes at the local college and lighting is very important enough so that the designer will incorporate a separate blueprint page for the lighting. With all the seating, eating and playing areas you would think two designers could figure out how many floor lamps, table lamps and sconces they would need for an area that large and be able to buy the appropriate number. That being said it looked as if the female team had a smaller space but that they organized their shopping better then the men did.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Not sorry to see Boris go . . . he did have the creepy factor, but it think most of it is just a matter of genetics. He's a large man with a very large head in which rests a very large mouth. Add the wide-opened eyes and it practically screams Crazy Clown.

Not that it hurt them any since they "won", but wouldn't it have been a bit more fair to have done the Boys vs Girls Challenge when there was still an even number of both . . . like, oh I don't know, LAST WEEK!!!!!

I could watch either Tiffany or Jeribai but the shows the winner produces never seem to be interesting enough to make me wanna watch.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

When she was painting the sideboard sticky black, all I could think was that it looked like an actual antique was being destroyed. The old lady alumnae will probably be upset when they visit and see that.

Boris was the right pick to go home. Buh-bye jack-o-lantern smile and crazy eyes! The white couch was nuts. I wouldn't even put that in my house, where 2 adults live, much less a frat house.

I'm so glad there will be individual challenges next week. Then we'll really be able to see what each designer does. The school bus challenge kind of reminds me of the shipping container challenge that was on one of the past seasons. Should be good!

FORT Fogey

I think they are hoping Brooks will improve on camera. He has the potential of creating some very cool things. From the preview I fear that crazy green bus is his and it will send him home. He can get carried away!

I like Ann and I think she is capable of much more than the limits these challenges present. I was pleased when the judges loved the orange/red she chose. Her partner was afraid they would hate it.

I never would have thought I would say this but, I miss the white box challenges! I remember David's very cool white box room from a pet store. Dog food rug was genius. I liked the final challenge in the glass box in a city park, too.

The problem on all of these type shows is always time. If they allowed more time we would have better results. But time is money so we won't see that.

I'd love to know the budget for these makeovers- I'm sure that pool table and the leather chairs cost a pretty penny!
    Little Sew&Sew and Duckyface like this.

David now hosts a White Room challenge as an ongoing series that appears now and then on the network. Because they shifted it, I don't think we'll see a true white room challenge again. They did open with a white backdrop challenge, though.

David is the only one of the winners who has entrenched himself in the network, both as a host and with a now long running show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I really don't think any of the last four designers are great...no one stands out.
    They all seem to be average. I know I wouldn't hire any of them.

Thank God there are only two more episodes and that this season will be off the air after the finale on July 21, 2013. Hopefully the show between brothers Jonathan and Drew will be better.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Thank God there are only two more episodes and that this season will be off the air after the finale on July 21, 2013. Hopefully the show between brothers Jonathan and Drew will be better.
    Will that show be taking over the timeslot of Design Star? It looks like it might be interesting, I plan to check it out.

I'm looking forward to this school bus renovation challenge tonight! It's about time they let the designers work on their own. I just wonder why they felt the need to have almost every challenge done in teams? You can't really get an idea of what each designer would come up if left to their own devices.
    Cornholio likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast