+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 8/14 Design All Stars Episode 3

8/14 Design All Stars Episode 3

Redesign the set of the 80's TV show the Facts of Life. Two person teams. Everyone is worried about working with Leslie. It's Tom and Leslie and Dan and Hilari. Mindy Cohen is a guest judge.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: 8/14 Design All Stars Episode 3

I wonder how they decided which designer was responsible for which part of the rooms? It seemed like a bad decision to me to have Dan be in charge of choosing the wall colors for the rooms when he just got beat up for his choices last week. I absolutely HATED the vivid green wall paneling and thought even the more tame in comparison blue and patterned wallpaper was questionable. The judges did right having him turn in his paint can and go home this week.

Leslie and Tom worked beautifully together. They're both kind of hyper and spontaneous, jumping from one thought to the next with little cohesion, but they clicked. I'm glad they toned down the bolder colors in their rooms after David pointed out his concerns. However, I still felt like their rooms were not modern enough. It still looked like an 80's set. They at least didn't have a fugly green wall so they easily won this competition.

Despite being on the losing team, I think Hilary is the most likely to win this. She's mostly good at self-editing her style choices (only a few misses here and there) and she's good at the camera challenges. Both Tom and Leslie have serious editing problems. They're only good when there's someone else there to dial down their design decisions. And Tom totally sucks at the camera challenges. I couldn't stand watching a whole show of his. I'm rooting for Hilary to win!
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

FORT Fogey

I am shocked that Tom and Leslie worked so well together. Their overly decorated room only one because Hilary and Tom blew it.

Not only did I hate the green wall but I hated the purple woodwork. It may have been blue but my TV showed it to be purple. I don't like woodwork any color other than white. I don't like natural wood either. I makes a room feel heavy, cluttered and smaller. I thought they were going for modern, but room was anything but! I knew Tom was going the minute I saw that wall color.

I don't think Lesie and Tom have good enough camera skills to win this. If Hilary can actually deliver a tip next episode she is a shoo in!

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Dan was a favorite of mine back when Antonio beat him out and he was a favorite of mine right up until the neon green wall in this show. The judges actually remembered the child's room he did back in time on Design Star which also had a neon green wall...not good, Dan. You should stick to architecture (his college major) and let an assistant pick the wall colors.

Leslie kept to her self observation and promise to tone down her take charge persona. Tom didn't promise, but she found a way to compromise with him, much as Dan did last week. I loved her wink to the show with the roller skates. Because they slipped in some personal information about her home life, I thought she would be going home this week; but I'm happy she isn't.

Big ol' storage containers next week...a different shape than the Yurt or a square glass house...but the same principle. I think the biggest problem will be getting light in there. I wonder if they can use a metal saw and open up skylights or windows?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

We were cringing for Dan (our favorite) and hoping the green paint looked better in the studio than it did on our tv. I guess it didn't. It seemed so out of place for what I imagine a boarding school would look like, but it seemed right at home for the cameras as it was similar to the "green screen" they put you in front of when they want to add a backdrop that's not really there.

I guess I will root for Tom now since he annoys me far less than either Hilari or Leslie.
    Allie likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I must admit I liked Leslie's and Tom's set better. Yes they needed a different wallpaper and a little less clutter but over all it made more sense to me than Dan and Hilari's set. If Dan had to go green on that wall could he just have painted the vertical and horizontal lines of the panel and the interior the dark blue. Since David Bromstad heads a show called Colorsplash you would think he would know about color and you would listen to his advice.
    TripleGemini likes this.

I'm a fan of bright colors! My bedroom is pretty close to the color that Hillari used last week, but the green Dan chose was just garish! I like him, so I was sad to see him make that misstep and go home, but color is definitely not his thing!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I hated the green wall! Too bad, because I liked Dan. It seems like Hilary actually has a little bit of an advantage because she just came off of the last season, so she is still in "game mode." It almost seems like they maybe wanted to give her a win too and set this up. But, I like Tom. I think he will shoot himself in the foot with the over accessorizing and go out, but I like his style.

I loved the peachy space that they showed (very briefly) in the preview. I'm thinking it was Hillari's, and I'll be pretty surprised if she doesn't win this time.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I don't want Hilari to win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast