+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By pikachu

Thread: 8/7 Design All Stars Episode 2

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

8/7 Design All Stars Episode 2

With Kelly leaving last week, the remaining five designers are tasked with re-designing two living spaces for professional dance couple, Jonathan and Anna (Dancing with the Stars.) As this couple is my favorite, I'm hopeful that the designers listen to their requests and produce two great spaces.

I think Leslie learned a lesson this go around about her frenetic hogging of ideas and need for dominance. I hope so as the final four may still be split into teams. I felt for Sparkle Josh, but he just wasn't up for the challenge of working a space with two other pushy women. I didn't realize Hilari had such an attitude watching Design Star, but it really came out this episode.

Dan is so cool. He took the time to find a working middle ground in communicating with machine gun Tom. He did, however, fail with the blue walls.

I hope HGTV offered to repaint the walls and lift the chandelier in the dining room as those seemed to be the two glaring mis-steps other than staging.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: 8/7 Design All Stars Episode 2

I just watched the tail end of the show so I didn't see any of the drama. I really loved Tom and Dan's design and liked the color of the walls, too. Since Anna and Jonathan seemed to love both rooms I wonder if the "expert" judges take any of that into consideration? It wasn't a garish color so why was it considered a misstep in their estimation, especially if the homeowners liked it? As for the chandelier hanging too low, I guess there are certain standards about lighting fixtures hanging x inches or so above a table. Knowing absolutely zero about design, I would have no idea what that height might be.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I disagreed with the judges about the color of Dan and Tom's room being off (I liked it!), about the chandelier being too low (even if it is, that's such an easy fix, the home-owners can adjust it to where they want it), and about offing Sparkle Josh. I thought Leslie should have gone since she insisted on putting up mirrors even though Anna specifically told the designers they didn't want them and her teammates argued with her not to get them. Plus, she admitted to restaging the corner the judges didn't like after Josh had already set it up his way.

I do agree that I don't understand Josh's need to put their lamp up on a stand to make it higher but it wasn't a grievous error to me. Once again, it's easily corrected if the homeowners don't want it that high.

I wish Josh and Hilari had been more firm with Leslie and refused to buy the mirror no matter how many times she brought it up. They also should have got in her face when she was rearranging their areas and asked what she was doing. If she wanted to explain why she thought things should be arranged differently she could have pitched the idea to them and if they didn't like it, they should have set things back the way there were and wanted her not to touch them. THEY were getting judged on those parts of the room so they should have them as they wanted and taken the consequences if the judges liked it or not. I don't know why they stood by and let her do what she wanted.

Pier 1 is not my idea of where I would spend money on furniture. I think it is too expensive for where it is made and the drawers don't pull out on push in that easily. Thankfully the designers had other places to buy furniture. I wish they had been given more time to design a place where real people live.

I am wondering if it will be a two person elimination next week as "All Stars" is only supposed to be 4 episodes long.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I very much dislike it when contestants complain...to themselves or in PI's.... actions that they don't like the other contestants doing ....they should stand up to the person then instead of just staying quiet.
    Just like with Leslie and the mirror issue....stand your ground if you feel strongly about it....the evaluation studio is too late.

I also thought the blue color was just fine and didn't like Vern saying it was "too grandmother-y"
    Isn't that just a personal opinion? Some could view it as soothing, even if a grandmother liked it too.

I did enjoy seeing my very own chest of drawers from Pier One on tv...the one that looked like a trunk that they took apart for a media center.
    I liked it when I bought it and I still like seeing it at the end of the hallway downstairs.

Tom is an excitable little bug...would probably drive me crazy but the two men really did well working out their differences.
    I will miss Josh...such an easy-going pleasant guy.

FORT Fogey

I was not wowed by either room. I don't care for blue walls so that didn't help.

Josh putting that beautiful lamp on that box was a terrible idea.

I favored Leslie going for many reasons. Mirrors, rearranging eveyrone elses things and I thought the dinning room was too crowded. I hated those big bulky chairs around the delicate glass table. I am shocked the judges liked it. I can only think it made more sense in person.

Tom is too highly strung for me to root for him. I like Dave(?), the one who cut up Dragonlady's chest. It looked fabulous for the media center.

Danielle's show was on the air Saturday, there were two episodes and one of them was a beach cottage redo. I luv'ed that she picked up on the blues and greys of an old painting. It was a very small kitchen eat in area she redid and the color scheme was really very light, the walls were a very pale grey, that it looked white on the tv screen. I liked how she repurposed these screens into window shutters and an art piece. She also seemed much more relaxed than on the challenge. Too bad she was not allowed to do the All Stars challenge as I think she would have done a better job than either team or at least the Sparkle Josh, Hilari and Leslie team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Has anyone successfully watched last week's show on the HGTV site? I've tried several times, and it always hangs up at the same point durig the review of the previous week's show. Frustrating!
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I found that when I tried to watch the first show. I finally gave up and went with the "previously on" at the beginning of the second show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Danielle's show was on the air Saturday, there were two episodes and one of them was a beach cottage redo. I luv'ed that she picked up on the blues and greys of an old painting. It was a very small kitchen eat in area she redid and the color scheme was really very light, the walls were a very pale grey, that it looked white on the tv screen. I liked how she repurposed these screens into window shutters and an art piece. She also seemed much more relaxed than on the challenge. Too bad she was not allowed to do the All Stars challenge as I think she would have done a better job than either team or at least the Sparkle Josh, Hilari and Leslie team.
    I saw the kitchen one. She seemed pretty smooth as a host.

+ Reply to Thread