+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 6/5 Design Star 7: Episode 2

6/5 Design Star 7: Episode 2

THE WHITE ROOM CHALLENGE!

A little early for it (in my opinion) but see what these strangers still have got.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 6/5 Design Star 7: Episode 2

I luv the white room challenge and I saw some great ones. I was not as taken with Stanley as the judging panel but he did show out of the box creativity. Jordan was a good choice to go home this episode. I think both Luca and Stanley were lucky it was not them. Still Luca is arrogant and from the preview of next week's episode not easy to work with.
    sparklete likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I like the white room challenge also. Other than Stanley being outside the box, I didn't see anything great about that room. There were some other great rooms though. Loved the one with the fashion girl on the wall (can't remember her name).

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sparklete View Post
    I like the white room challenge also. Other than Stanley being outside the box, I didn't see anything great about that room. There were some other great rooms though. Loved the one with the fashion girl on the wall (can't remember her name).

That was Rachel - who I had somehow over-looked in the first episode. I've noticed her now!! She can paint on my walls any time!!!

Brittany was my favorite from the first episode and I liked what she did this time too.

Stanley and Luca both still annoy me, but Kris was much less bothersome this time - even though I had to go back and listen to him say "wild fire" twice before I understood him.

Sad that Jordan went home - I didn't like his designs, but he was easy to look at and I could listen to him talk all day!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by sparklete View Post
    I loved that artwork! She could probably make a great living selling those pieces alone.

Was anyone else annoyed at the judges and their gushing over Stanley's space? Yeah, yeah, it was outside the box and original, but it was too sparse. It was one of those things that allowed the judges to be all haughty and pretentious and superior and gushing over how artsy, schmartsy it was. Way too emperor's new clothes for me. The couch was interesting, but he could have done so much more with the light as a design concept. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any use of light on the wall with the couch cushions hanging on it. It seemed very lazy to me.

And while I am being cranky, could someone please tell Vern Yip that he ain't all that. I used to love him on Trading Spaces, but now he just seems completely in love with himself. Blech.
    Kip and sparklete like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

What I liked was the use of public space (Union Station) rather than a warehouse to set up the challenge. This is the first time a design show has done this while the art/space is being designed. The Bachelorette has gone public this year, and now Design Star. Whatever is the Reality World coming to?

Stanley is like the guy on the show White Room Challenge who also used off the wall lighting in his design. I think the only reason they gushed, but didn't give him top honors, was that he was the only one who went fully into concept rather than practical. Or, at least, a concept that didn't make them wince like the wildfire design with one half burned and the other half all happy place.

One of the reasons I think Jordan went home was that he had no plan, no concept and that showed in his presentation. He prefers designing organically and we know what happens to those who can't think fast on their feet.

I wasn't ready for this challenge so early in the show, but it was interesting, if confusing trying to remember who did what. However, if I so desire, I can go to HGTV.com/Design Star and look at them all again.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Thank you, mushybrain, for an excellent post...you summarized most of my thoughts also.
    Vern definitely needs to step down from his self-built throne....liked the old Vern (Trading Spaces) so much better. Now he's too good for all of us.
    I especially dislike it when judges think way-out there artsy stuff is so great, like Stanley's room. He had a great idea of using color with lighting but besides that and using the furniture in odd ways, what was so great?? But I say that at some art galleries I go to also. Just don't get it. Probably never will.

FORT Fogey

I liked Danielle's room the best. She had the lamp they all hated. And the woman who won had the owls they hated. I think this was a difficult decision to make. I have liked Danielle or is it Daniella from day one. She was a real pro on camera too. It is my early call for winner this season.
    Miss_Griss likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I loved the fashion girl, Rachel's, design! i would love for her to paint that artpiece on my wall!

Stanley's piece was disappointing, in my view because he could have done so much more with the lights. He should have had more going on on the walls, playing with lights to create textures and wallpapers. Then, it would have been more about creating an interior piece, rather than just a plain art abstract work. I think the judges tried to like it because they want to give the illusion that they are sophisticated enough to understand art. lol! I was wondering how he wasted so much time and came out with so little. He could have set up really cool lightboxes in that time, but I only saw one.

I had a flashback moment when Genevieve complained about not liking the floor lamp in Danielle's room. I remembered the time during one episode of Trading Spaces that Genevieve decided it would be a good idea to put moss on the wall. Vern also had at least one questionable design while he did Trading Spaces. It just makes me laugh when they criticize some of these designers when I can think back to some of their own past designs. I did like both Danielle's and Rachel's white rooms. Stanley can go home sooner rather than later for me, and he can take Luca with him.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast