+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arielflies

Thread: 5/29 Design Star 7 PREMIERE

5/29 Design Star 7 PREMIERE

I liked that they got rid of what's-her-name...the hostess? Announcer? (I'm not even sure what her title was.) And it was nice to get through the first show without actually hating anyone (although a couple of them came close).

I loved some of the things they did in the rooms. I really liked the bedroom with the architectural design (the one with the chevrons was OK). I thought the great room came out...well, great :-) The charcoal gray wasn't a color I'd normally even consider, but it really worked well.

White room challenge next week :-)

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 5/29 Design Star 7 PREMIERE

I like that they aren't even mentioning Candace as a judge this year. Last year her filming schedule took her away the majority of the time. I thought Daisy Fuentes did a marvelous job as a guest judge. She was clear and concise, knew what worked and what didn't.

They are an eclectic bunch this year, the designers. Being back in LA this season makes one think glitz and glam design, but there are a few from the east, south and midwest to bring in their esthetic. Those who are artists first, though, will have a hard time - they always do until, all of a sudden, they become David Bromstad. LOL

David is turning into quite the host/mentor; up til this week he did both with the White Room show and now with Design Star. Didn't he mentor only last year? I like him as a host. How far he has come since his first camera challenge.

They are throwing in the White Room challenge a week or two early this season. After watching four weeks of the White Room show, I wish they had held off a couple of weeks. There will be a lot of rooms to critique. However, I'm looking forward to it as I liked what I saw on the first show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I was not impressed with any one room but liked some features in all of them except the lounge area. What a mess! Talk about an uncomfortable room to gather, wow! I would have gone for a soft relaxing wall color for starters given their hectic days. The orange sofa would have been fabulous punch of color had they done this. There didn't seem to be enough room for all of them to sit comfortably either. I bet they don't use that room much unless it is the only place to eat. I didn't see a dining table anywhere else.

The living room, that was praised, was a little busy for my taste but I liked the overall comfort it exuded.

The blue bedrooms were just ok. I liked the hand painted chevron. The blue underneath the wall lattice was a little too intense for my liking. I agreed that the day bed in the other bedroom was an eye sore.

I am looking forward to the white room challenge. The previews didn't appear to show the best choices. I am counting on a few to pull off something very nifty.

I like a rotating 3rd judge but wonder just how talented they will be as far as interior design. Vanilla Ice? hmmmmmm Could be.

Vanilla Ice has his own show (The Vanilla Ice Project) on the DIY network. He flips houses in Florida and I did enjoy watching his show when they showed it on HGTV. He approaches design somewhat like Antonio Ballatore, but not with the over the top stuff Antonio produces.
    sparklete likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Thanks.

I look forward to this week's white room challenge. Why do I like this challenge on this show but do not actually like the HGTV show that is the White Room Challenge? Partly because there are more designers on Design Star and the rooms are smaller. The White Room Challenge show is only 4 designers and seems too artsy or something. I know I don't like the judges panel. The WR Challenge just seems genuine on Design Star but not on the other show.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The designers lounge has got to be the ugliest room ever on any season of Design Star!! The color scheme was just horrid.
    I bet the remaining designers will never go into this room unless they are forced to .

David has a video blog David Bromstad on Design Star's Premiere | HGTV Design Star

He is so happy this year to be host as well as mentor. His comments on the rooms may or may not jell with ours, but he has really come into his own on the network.

HGTV Design Star This is a link to the main blog and video page for the show. For some reason it is even more difficult to navigate around the HGTV site than it has been and it has always been difficult. If there is another page you would like to reference for Design Star, please post it.

That's great that they got rid of plastic woman host from last year! Vern also seems to be more wholesome this time than last year where he came out to be more like a curmudgeon.

HGTV Design Star should have its own thread!

+ Reply to Thread