+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 9/12 FINALE DesignStar 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: 9/12 FINALE DesignStar 6 *West Coast Spoilers*

While I agree that Karl was "awkward" at first, he came a long way by the end of the season. Meg started out hamming it up and she was still playing to the camera at the finale. A little bit of schtick goes a long way. She's over-doing it.

Not sure that, as a mother-to-be, I'd be all that thrilled with Buddha on a pedestal. Fast forward a year later and that baby is going to be walking and bumping into things. Wouldn't a shelf, high up on the way, have been a safer choice (while freeing up some much needed floor space!)
    Moontat likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Good point about the Buddha. My thought about the mirrors was that once that kid was toddling around, he/she would be fascinated by the mirrors, and they'd be cleaning tiny hand and nose prints off them constantly.

I wasn't wild about either room, and while I hadn't really watched much of the season, I knew for certain that unless her room was completely terrible, Meg was going to win. Their "the camera loves her" sealed that--which, for HGTV and FN seems to mean that if you're a woman contestant, you need to be perky and have a "cute" concept. Personally, I'm sick of both those qualities. The design crimes thing seems like something that would get really old really fast to me. I don't find attempts to be gosh gee clever to be all that entertaining, but the judges seemed to think it was essential to get an audience, which is odd, because I don't recall Vern or Genevieve ever having to try that hard to get me to pay attention on Trading Spaces.
    Debb70 likes this.

This is the fourth perky female winner. While Emily still has her show - so far - the other two have disappeared...one never even made it past three shows due to family issues. The runner-up on Kim's season, Todd, now has his own show and he is way more interesting than Kim ever was.

I liked the elegance of Karl as a person and his use of architecture as inspiration. He has a calm demeanor on camera and possibly, we'll see more of him in the future. In contrast, Meg on camera seems cheesy (like Emily) and actually had more problems in production than Karl, at least that we were shown.

I'll catch her show this next Saturday and hope it goes well for her and is watchable for us.

They are casting for next season with ads running during the finale.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I don't care to watch Meg at all. Nice lady, but not someone I care for as a designer or tv host.

Someone mentioned Candice Olsen's shiny hair on a previous thread. I noticed it too. How do you get blonde hair to shine like that. You know it's touched up with highlights at the very least. What are the chances she would share her hair care secrets if I contacted her people? I would really like to know what she is doing to create that shine on processed hair. Any suggestions?

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Personally, I think Karl was robbed. Meg is too over the top for me, and I don't like her shabby chic style.
    I would much rather Karl design a room for me.
    Oh well, I don't think I've liked a Design Star winner since David Bromstad... I still enjoy Design Star though.
    I really hope Meg does NOT do a design crimes show... that was VERY annoying.
    I agree with whoever thought it was dangerous to put the Buddah on the pedastal... she should have made a wall niche or somthing for it... the baby is going to get squashed by falling Buddah.
    Perhaps Karl will get a show after all... if the Season 2 runner up has a show now, I don't see why they can't give Karl a show too.

I don't know if I will catch this on rerun. Just can't drum up enthusiasm to see Meg win. I like the idea of a Design Crimes show. Done tongue-in-cheek it could be fun. But you would need to be subtle ... I don't see Meg having that fine of a hand. I will look up pictures of the rooms, though. I am curious about them at least.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion

Dang! The person I root for so seldom wins. Meg seems okay (though just okay). I can't recall anything from her all season that was a "wow" moment for me (and I can recall wow moments from both Mark and Karl). I'll give Meg's show a try though...maybe she'll be more to my liking when she's not under pressure.

FORT Regular

IMHO Meg was the obvious winner. Throughout the season, she was respectful & professional with fellow contestants, determined, worked well with everyone with whom she was assigned, produced attractive/liveable designs, & learned from her mistakes/incorporated the judges' feedback. The final design reflected her clients' desire for their space.

Despite much improved camera segments (although IMHO he still comes across as nervous/awkward/goofy which distracts from his design message), Karl didn't produce a final room the clients' requested. They homeowners asked for a blend of tuscan & gritty street styles. Admittedly, these are conflicting looks. However, they gave him direction - the wife specifically stated the warm, traditional tuscan colors appealed to her & the husband mentioned graffiti. Karl, instead, produced a cool blue & brown room inspired by the architecture of the building across the street!

An outdated & imposing armoire was the focal point & the only nod to the graffiti style in the entire bland room. Except perhaps the style of the armoire (that was then covered in graffiti), nothing in the room was Tuscan either - no warm reds, yellows, &/or greens paired with the brown, no purposefully selected accessories, nothing. The open toy storage unit was visible from the entry, while the ledge around the room also had the potential to look cluttered. The room wasn't the warm & inviting space with character the clients had described.

Best wishes to both Meg in her new show & Karl in his future endeavors!
    Duckyface likes this.

I wanted Karl to win but in the Finale, Meg surely had the better design. She was also better on camera. On top of it, her Design Crime thing is more interesting and original. So it was no surprise she won. I just couldn't get overr the fact that Meg almost got eliminated in the White Box challenge and she ended up winning. I thought it was going to be Mark and Tyler in the finale but when Tyler got eliminated, I thought Mark and Karl would be the final 2.

Watched it. Would have been OK with either winning. Meg's design was better. Did wonder why she didn't actually use Tiffany Blue? Would I watch either show? Probably not. I really liked the show that followed the Design Star finale Showhouse Showdown. That was good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast