+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 8/29 DesignStar6 Show Thread Episode 8 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 8/29 DesignStar6 Show Thread Episode 8 *West Coast Spoilers*

For their design presentation, I actually liked Kellie's (stools) design the best (not her presentation!), though I'd never have them in my house. The cats would love the texture and shred them promptly. I didn't hate the spoon thing nor the sunburst clock thing, but neither did I love them. I thought Kellie's room looked rather spotty (here a spot of something, then another spot, then another spot) -- I guess there is a fine line between cohesion and chaos.

Overall, I liked the colors Mark chose the best, but that was about the only thing I really really liked. To me, the blank wall was an opportunity for me to put something personal in it. I don't view that as a bad thing, but I guess they did for the execution of the challenge. I hated Meg's yellow molding on greige walls. The molding was okay, but hate the colors. Didn't like the stuff she put on the shelves, although having the shelves for your own items was nice. Her choice of accessories left me cold.

As usual, Meg did well on her presentation, at least from the standpoint of making the audience like her. I totally agree with the critiques of it as not explaining what she was doing and why. I thought Karl's presentation was great, but I wonder how much of that is that I know how freaked out he's been before. Mark was just lost this week (other than his color choices, IMO). That was bad, but based on his previous efforts, I'm glad he's still here for another chance. Kellie just didn't seem to be able to get any better than her skill level when she came in, so it was time for her to go.

And my bottom line issue is with their bottom line. I've been watching HGTV for something like 15 years, and they've been doing shows for little money for a long time. But EVERYTHING costs more now -- the budget on this was pretty ridiculous, particularly when they give them virtually no time to do anything. Add to that, the contestants are an unfamiliar city. They don't have the design resources that greater familiarity would bring. The budget or the time should have been doubled. That said, I don't think they could find half those things in my smallish city even if they had two months!
    Shoepie likes this.

I have to admit that I'm not overly impressed with any of them this season. I really don't have a favorite even though there was one or two I couldn't stand...cough, Cathy, cough. Anyway, I have no clue who will win. I think the thing that will hurt Karl is the fact he hasn't done good on the camera challenges and Meg and Mark has. If Karl could make a total turnaround for the camera challenge he may win. But still....I'm just not overly impressed with any of them.

Alot of what they did in this challenge reminded me of Trading Spaces. I loved that show and my fav designers were Vern, Geneve, and Laurie (wonder what happend to her...she picked out some beautiful fabrics even though not always my style but still beautiful). Anyway, what they did made me think of TS. I actually saw some much better transformations on TS than on this episode.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I loved Kellie's stools, but that was it.

I liked Meg's room, it had a light and airy feel. I also liked bits from both Mark and Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat View Post
    I loved Kellie's stools, but that was it.

I liked Meg's room, it had a light and airy feel. I also liked bits from both Mark and Karl.
    I don't think I want to see Kellie's stools.
    luvsginger and AZChristian like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I don't think I want to see Kellie's stools.
    Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read this!
    luvsginger and AZChristian like this.

I think the only one that has the real talent to win is Meg...but what is unfortunate is her voice. She definitely has a disability and I hate to be so crass or mean but seriously....her voice makes me so uncomfortable there is no way I could watch a 30 minute show with her talking ...., its as if she is struggling to speak each word.....I feel like I want to give her a hit of oxygen or something...I mean what is up?

Glad Kellie is gone, her voice was sooo high pitched and nasally I would either kill myself or change the channel rather than endure listening to her for a full episode. I know I sound like I have super sensitive hearing but Karl's voice drives me nuts, too! LOL...the only one that is soothing to hear and easy on the eyes is Mark!

Hands down he is going to win..... but I wish Meg lots of luck in her future endeavors ....Karl seems to be so full of himself so I am sure he will do just fine....but no way will he win a show....

Congrats to Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    Alot of what they did in this challenge reminded me of Trading Spaces. I loved that show and my fav designers were Vern, Geneve, and Laurie (wonder what happend to her...she picked out some beautiful fabrics even though not always my style but still beautiful). Anyway, what they did made me think of TS. I actually saw some much better transformations on TS than on this episode.
    Who was the old fat guy in Trading Spaces? I like him. He reminded me of a long lost buddy co-worker of mine in an architecture firm we use to work for.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Who was the old fat guy in Trading Spaces? I like him. He reminded me of a long lost buddy co-worker of mine in an architecture firm we use to work for.
    Speak respectfully of Frank Bielec! I met him at a home show, and he was THE NICEST person in the world. And I loved his designs.

OH my Goodness! How could I forget Frank!!!! He was like a big teddy bear! I really liked him but he tended to get all the country designs....poor guy...but the few he did that wasn't country was really nice.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I really did not care for Meg's room at all. Not sure why Nate Berkus went on and on about it like he did.

Karl does good work, but I find him off putting.
    I like Mark, but he really did poorly in this episode.

I've never watched Nate Berkus' show before. He seemed overly impressed with himself though, IMO.
    Allie likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast