+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 8/22 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 7 ** West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 8/22 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 7 ** West Coast Spoilers**

I do wonder if part of Meg's problem was the location of her rooms. The entry way and the up stairs landing area seem like they would have been high traffic areas. Especially the upstairs where the other designers would have been carrying furniture up, and possibly stopping for a breath and/or turning things for a better angle into their rooms. Could part of her problem been a desire to stay out of the way and also not have her things out where they could be damaged by movers? Then again, Meg does like to wait until the last minute.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    [snipped]... Why didn't the producers all save us some time and just eliminated everyone except Karl and Mark and let them have a several episode design challenge war.
    Great idea.

Well, at least it was easy to pick the winner last night.

I felt sorry for the little boy who wanted bunk beds and lockers - he looked so disappointed. I think I would have sent Kelli home over Leslie. Kelli didn't listen to her client and the room didn't look that great, IMO.

The foyers - ugh. The lanterns were awful.

Mark may have used "junk" records for the wall art, but even so it looked more like it belonged in a family room than in a living room. I thought the wood wall divider was ugly - and did not look lounge-y. I liked the table, but it may not have been to the homeowner's taste.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    One thing I can't stand was used in two rooms and that is wall installations. Were the albums Mark took out of their jackets vintage? If so, they just lost value. Does the homeowner like to play them? If so, too bad as they are now nailed to blocks on the wall. I thought they said they wanted an elegant dining room. To me, the dining room looked more farmhouse chic than elegant which would better match the style of the house.

Next is Meg's horrid use of lanterns. Since they have art pieces, why didn't she hang one of those there instead and define the space beyond the door entry better? The reading nook on the upper landing was a great idea, but as noted, not finished. Bookshelves would have been nice to give the room height some definition.

Kellie really blew this one. Should have gone with the client and not her own sensibility.
    Leslie's stage was a good idea, but as noted amateurish.

Kevin lucked out on the spare lumber for the mantle, but his space planning didn't hit the mark. Where were the two chairs needed in front of the fireplace flanking the coffee table? Where were the space rugs to define the two spaces? And, of course, where was the appropriate couch for TV viewing?

Okay...I've been down on Karl lately, but maybe that was because he freaks when working with others. The master bedroom was what they asked for - elegant, romantic and more. I loved the added architecture below the windows and he pulled the drapes to the ceiling to better frame the windows as well as puddling them on the floor to create that romantic look. Good choices in fabric. Good choice for a challenge winner.

Down to the final four...let's get it on!
    Ariel, your post reminded me why I never really watch Design Star. Good gosh, I know so very little about home decorating and design. Would you come to my home and decorate for me? Pretty, pretty please?

All kidding aside, I have caught a few episodes here and there but late at night when it's rerun. I can't watch it at its regular time at 9. I know when something is aesthetically pleasing to me but I can't really articulate the why or where for. I just enjoy it for what it is but agree that I am glad that Cathy is gone!

Well I'm glad Kevin is gone. I think he was over-rated. He should have gone before Tyler. And of course, Kathy should have gone before anyone else. I think it's going to be a Mark vs. Karl finale. I thought Kelly might sneak in there but after this episode....mmmmm maybe not. Anyone notice nobody uses plants to decorate a space? I thought they could use it. It would add life to a room, especially the entrance and that upstairs landing area decorated by Meg.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-24-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    AZChristian likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Kelly and Leslie both deserved to go home for those bedrooms, but I think the judges made the wrong call. Kelly made the remark that she "didn't want to be too literal" . . . . HeLLoOoOoOoOoO! Your client looked to be about five years old. "Literal" is how he thinks. If he said he wanted bunkbeds and lockers, he wanted BUNKBEDS and LOCKERS and not some designers interpretation of them. There are thousands of bunkbed designs out there - can't believe she couldn't find something ready-made.

I understand working on a budget and wanting to put pieces in a room that they child can "grown into" but why did Leslie give that LITTLE boy such a HUGE bed? She obviously didn't check with Kelly who gave the older child the bed that was tiny by comparison.
    AZChristian likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I was surprised Leslie have the 2 yr old such a huge bed too. I noticed in the before picture he was still sleeping with soft sided rails on either side of his bed and now he has a big double bed? Maybe she was trying to take up more space to avoid having to fill it up with other stuff?? Also I was so disappointed with Kellie's room as well- the bed looked unfinished and I didn't see a way (ladder? stepstool?) for the poor kid to get into it anyway. I'm sure he was freaked out with all the people and the cameras, but generally kids can't hide excitement if they see something they like and that poor little guy didn't even crack a smile.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Like when the parents saw their family room and hyper-Kevin was saying, "Do you LOVE it?" They didn't look all that thrilled with it - he was trying to create some enthusiasm.

I seem to remember during the voice-over, Kelly was saying that the little boy didn't really want a second bed . . . did she ASK him? Did he want a second bed (maybe so his brother could sleep there sometimes), or did he want a loft bed with a desk or play space underneath? There was NO play space under the bed she created - and that kid would have been too big to even get under there within a couple of years. Who knows? They didn't show her asking. Number one rule of design - respond to the wants and needs of your client . . . no matter how young they are. And I thought the younger kid's bedroom looked too girly with the stage and sparkly hula hoop used as a curtain rod.

The only room that deserved to win was the master bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Like when the parents saw their family room and hyper-Kevin was saying, "Do you LOVE it?" They didn't look all that thrilled with it - he was trying to create some enthusiasm.

I seem to remember during the voice-over, Kelly was saying that the little boy didn't really want a second bed . . . did she ASK him? Did he want a second bed (maybe so his brother could sleep there sometimes), or did he want a loft bed with a desk or play space underneath? There was NO play space under the bed she created - and that kid would have been too big to even get under there within a couple of years. Who knows? They didn't show her asking. Number one rule of design - respond to the wants and needs of your client . . . no matter how young they are. And I thought the younger kid's bedroom looked too girly with the stage and sparkly hula hoop used as a curtain rod.

The only room that deserved to win was the master bedroom.
    I HATE that arrogance. I hope the production team went back and got him his bunk beads. That was the main thing the parents said was wanted for his room. She can go next.

I was very disappointed in Kellie.
    Really liked Karl's room, esp. the architectural desijgn under the windows - just beautiful and classic!
    Liked Meg's idea with the lanterns, but she sure did put it up very poorly.I like a lot of her designs, but I'm not thrilled with her presentations.
    Kevin did deserve to go - it was poorly set up. I did like him though. He had a lot of passion which was just contagious.
    Leslie had been in the bottom a lot and that room was just overly done and non focused.
    I usually really like Mark. I've seen those records placed on the wall far too often. Vern probably liked it because they did it on Trading Spaces a lot. But, that dining table was absolutely to die for.
    If it comes down to mark and Karl, my money's on Mark. I'm not a fan of Karl's attitude / personality, sorry to say. I do feel, however, that he was far better in an individual challenge than in the team ones.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I don't understand why Kellie wasn't eliminated? It's a cardinal sin to not give a client what they ask for, especially a bunkbed and lockers. I loved how John Gidding told her that it's not her place to say that it'll be outdated in 2 months, but that it's her job to make sure it's not outdated in 2 months.

I also hope HGTV sprung for a bunkbed at the very least. The other child's room was unsafe as well and certainly not age-appropriate for a toddler.

I'm rooting for either Mark or Karl, they seem to have the design chops needed for a show. Camera skills can be learned, talent is innate. David Bromstad was awful on camera at first, but now he's a pro at it, so Karl can become one as well.
    Allie likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast