+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 8/15 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 8/15 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 6 **West Coast Spoilers**

Did you glance through the blog comments? There were almost 1,000 yesterday (probably more than that now), pretty much all saying how happy they are that she's gone.

Hopefully the PTB at HGTV read the comments...

I'm delighted that Cathy is gone. I very much dislike arrogant people and she definitely felt she was far above all the rest.
    Actually, no one stands out that much for me. They're all just ok designers.....definitely a lot better than me but nothing great.
    I can't look at Kevin without seeing Humpty Dumpty. I know that sounds mean but that's all I see.

FORT Regular

Hope this wasn't an actual wedding reception (rather, a fictional scenario with actors). Victorian with orange/yellow/purple seems odd, describing a soft/romantic/layered style in a modern/sleek/contemporary color combination. The results highlighted the contradictions of the assigned task with bold color draped along the ceiling, muted table linens, & traditional settings. IMHO the best part of the room was the groom's lounge; at least it had a consistent style that was intimate/warm/inviting. Having guest judge - reality veteran, Dina Manzo - question someone else's "taste" was laughable, after seeing glimpses of her gaudy style via her home on RHoNJ & promos of her new show on HGTV!

Mark - my favorite male contestant due to his even temperment, creativity, consistency, & taste!

Kevin - despite his usual over-the-top personna, he showed a humble side with genuine personality this week; glad to see him regain his confidence & execute his vision.

Karl - he seemed determined to avoid confrontation, over-exaggerated his role in the draped centerpiece, & clearly will never be a florist!

Kellie - she's confident & consistent, but her drama last week still lingers. Plus, how in the world was the Dr. Seuss cake Victorian? (Similarly, in support of my hope the wedding was fictional, IMHO a bride would never leave the centerpiece of her reception - the cake - to the last minute & decided by seven strangers/design contestants!)

Meg - my favorite female contestant, she's talented, compassionate, respectful, approachable, & seems to work well with everyone.

Leslie - the sign-in table was incredibly tacky & the linen/china choices made with Cathy were boring; sadly, her individual camera challenges seem to be getting worse. (Note she's been paired with the dismissed contestant two weeks in a row!)

Cathy - her superiority complex & self-absorbed approach are never successful in any industry requiring teamwork, collaboration of ideas, etc. According to her, every challenge was her expertise - camera, staging, wedding reception design, etc. - yet she didn't stand out from the competition! Despite being the only one who actually understands "stand up" due to her 20+ years as a former reporter, she did the worst on the camera challenge; despite her wedding reception being published in three national magazines, the "sweetheart table" was pathetic & she was eliminated this week. Moral of the story = attitude is everything!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini View Post
    Did you glance through the blog comments? There were almost 1,000 yesterday (probably more than that now), pretty much all saying how happy they are that she's gone.

Hopefully the PTB at HGTV read the comments...
    Cathy has a Facebook page, too. It's interesting that SHE controls all of the wall comments, and when I looked there was only ONE comment in response to any of her posts, and it was positive. Hmmm. So 300+ FB people who have liked the page have said nothing, with just one comment showing. In spite of thousands of negative comments about her everywhere on the internet that she doesn't control.

Sorry - not buying it. But then I wouldn't buy anything she's selling.
    luvsginger likes this.

I, too, hope this was just a fake reception for actors because all I could see was one big production with many different levels and styles of taste by many different designers. It looked nice but nothing flowed together. As mentioned above, the cake didn't fit the theme, the men's lounge looked strange with white furniture (how many men choose white for anything??), the delicate china didn't work with the bold colors and canopy above. Leslie's sign in table had no room for anyone to sign in.
    So, yes, in the before and after pictures, the end result looked better than an empty room but that's all I can give it. I liked a lot of what was done but it was just too disjointed and had too many different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I, too, hope this was just a fake reception for actors because all I could see was one big production with many different levels and styles of taste by many different designers. It looked nice but nothing flowed together. As mentioned above, the cake didn't fit the theme, the men's lounge looked strange with white furniture (how many men choose white for anything??), the delicate china didn't work with the bold colors and canopy above. Leslie's sign in table had no room for anyone to sign in.
    So, yes, in the before and after pictures, the end result looked better than an empty room but that's all I can give it. I liked a lot of what was done but it was just too disjointed and had too many different styles.
    The lounge in front of the bar area had the white Victorian style furniture. The men's lounge had the brown sofa and 2 stuffed chairs. That they had two lounges was confusing.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The lounge in front of the bar area had the white Victorian style furniture. The men's lounge had the brown sofa and 2 stuffed chairs. That they had two lounges was confusing.
    I have never been to a wedding with lounges. It makes no sense. The groom wanted a mens lounge to escape the reception and hang out with his buddies? Seems so. And what a drap brown mess that was. Vern like the skate board art. Why? It was obscured behind something. They all liked that lounge.

That wedding had to have been staged. It could have been a friend of production and their wedding was planned to coinside with the taping. I can believe that. And they were probably paid to do this. Or it was a friend of production who recently married and was up for a staged redo. It was not legit, that is for sure and shame on them for thinking viewers would buy that.

It was a lame challenge and not interesting to watch. Tonight will be good. Real rooms in a house makes more sense. The preview is misleading, most likely. We see David looking at the ceiling in apparent horror.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I read in a blog (probably on the Design Star website) that it was a real reception, and that as soon as all the photos were done and the judges left, the caterers came in with the food and the party started. After watching Bridezillas, I can believe that some people will do anything to get on tv (probably willing to take a risk to get a free wedding reception . . . which was worth everything they paid for it).

shoepie....I was going to say the same thing! I have never been to a wedding with a lounge. And I have been to some upscale weddings and receptions! None of them had lounges. Yes, they had bars but not a lounge area. If my groom wanted a lounge to escape to....then there were bigger issues to address before we ever got married!!! Honestly, I wanted to escape to a "lounge" with my groom...he he
    Allie likes this.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

well, shoot, I didn't realize there were two lounges. And what the heck is a lounge (or two) doing in a wedding reception??!!
    I've got a feeling that this couple really did get married and opted for a free reception on tv. Given what people will do to be on tv nowdays, they probably had to win a contest from among a bunch of others who wanted the same thing. Go figure.
    And I thought the string of skate boards was as dumb as it could be. It just stood out like a sore thumb that didn't belong.
    The bride didn't get anything for her hobby. Dumb, dumb, dumb and ol' Vern liked it. sheesh. Remind me not to call Vern with any design advice.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 08-23-2011 at 03:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123