+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 7/25 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 3

7/25 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 3

Oh those poor families...at least that has been the sentiment on previous series with the first family re-do challenge. Previews show frustration and tempers - hooray.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 7/25 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 3

Fairly uneventful episode. I must confess, I applauded the guys who wouldn't let Cathy run roughshod over them. And I found it interesting that she - with all her TV experience - seemed to have the worst time with the one-minute spot.

Good-bye, Doug. If you're going to claim that a room is 98% yours, you should make sure that the room is beautiful.

Looks like Cathy gets back on her high horse next week.
    Shoepie likes this.

Can you imagine being Cathy's minion? Glad the boys revolted. Viva La Revolution. Down with tyrants aka Cathy.
    NCLurker, Shoepie and AZChristian like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Karl's back splash was the winning look for me. Stunning!

This show is on the top of my list with Project Runway, Top Chef and Network Star.

Dougs color choice is a clear indication that he is not skilled in decorating, at all, nevermind the furniture and its placement. Color is crucial and that color didn't even belong in a paint store fan book! Loved Genevive's organ meat comment. This room was a study in brown. Yuck. Mark's wood wall added absolutely nothing.

This is the second time Mark has narrowed his focus on one wood piece. He even said, in the first show, that his specialty was building. His success in the white box challenge shows how talented he is. I think he retreats to a comfortable place in a group challenge.

I hate faux painting and Meg's chest only served to confirm how terrible it can look. Why Vern praised it, is beyond me. If you hit pause, when they briefly show it, you will see what looks like an amature job. Or maybe that is why I don't faux painting; it most always looks like a craft project.

Kathy, omg. Good for the boys to make her stay behind and do some work. Loved that! Threading a sewing machine for at tip? Really? Makes no sense at all. You sew or you don't; those who do, know how to thread a machine and those who don't, don't care. I think her skill stops at shopping and placing her finds in a room. And she even failed at that last night; her coffee table was praised but Vern commented that the rest of the choices were dull.

I liked the basment room and will use the idea of making a collage with my grandchildren's art work. I liked the black wall art piece/shelf that won but it did not strike me as a winner. It was a little too high and heavy against the rest of the room. I guess you had to have been there in person to get it. They all loved it.

Decorating is my creative hobby and I cannot help but redo some of what I see. Many say my home looks like a page out of a magazine. I so love to hear that! My taste is modern, more Dwell magazine, so I was not crazy about Meg and Tyler's room. It looked cluttered with strange things on the wall. It had no soul. You can shop for accessories and find some things that give the impression that the home owner has collected things over time. A bowl of fake artichokes is not it! Looked like the shopped at TJ Max and Home Goods and chose things that matched the decor. Never a good idea.

In group challenges we usually hear the comment, "when you have your own show you have to work in a team." I am glad we didn't hear that last night, though we did on the first challenge. It may have been edited because it is a common response to discord. Well, when you have your own show, you are the boss and have hired compatible staff for starters. And usually they have a specific job that has been delegated.

I put the Novogratz show on my DVR. I had not heard of them before and looking forward to a new, to me, program.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 07-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.

A couple of thoughts:

Cathy - You gotta admit, she's got great taste. And if her strong suit is shopping and decor, then they should exploit that. That said, I think the guys were spot-on when they clued into the fact that she intended for them to be her carpenters. And lady, if you can't build/paint/get your hands dirty, then why are you on the show? PS - The way she bugs out her eyes when she talks scares the $#!@ out of me.

Mark - Dunno how great he is, but man, did I pity him getting stuck with Doug. Mark just about pleaded with Doug to meet him halfway on some of the aspects of their room, then takes it on the chin by the panel for not being a team player. Seriously: How do you play on a team with someone who won't listen to a word you say?

Doug - What a jerk. And that color... yikes.

Leslie - I'm really beginning to like her, and that's saying a lot because I - very incorrectly - labeled her in my mind as a rich-beyotch Dallas housewife in Episode 1. She's way more than that (and way more entertaining). Look out for this one.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

To the Point

Watched the show this afternoon. I knew that Doug was on the way out when they kept showing Mark pleading with him. Doug totally buys what he's selling but no one else does. I couldn't get over the fact that even in placing furniture and stuff he moved anything that Mark had placed.

I was SO glad that the guys did not allow Cathy to get away with her high handed ways. She really was not happy with having to actually work.

I have been pretty impressed with what we've seen so far this season. Love this show.

I missed last week's episode, so I'm glad I got top tape this one.
    Really enjoyed it and, in general, this season.
    None of the OTT shenanigans from last year. And, I love the addition of David. I'm still noyt a fan of the new host, but she wasn't quite as annoying on this episode as she was on the first.
    Hate to say it, but she sure needs to cover up those arms, though. She looks young, but those flabby arms make her look like an old woman.
    I wasn't overly impressed by the Novogratz's but, at least, the comments were not real nasty.
    Glad that Cathy's team was wise to her desire to make the men her contractors on this project!! She's quite a diva.
    I'm still not familiar with all the designers. Is Leslie the blond one who referred to "her wife and 5 children?" TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    I'm still not familiar with all the designers. Is Leslie the blond one who referred to "her wife and 5 children?" TIA
    I'm really old . . . I didn't realize that "blended family" fit into the "two mommies" world. Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL.

Who are the Novogratz's? I know they have a show, but where did they come from and why are they on here?

I love David! So glad to see him on this show, and I think he really helps out.

Wow, that Doug was something else - no compromising whatsoever, bad taste, then when he was re-doing all the furniture placement, he had the nerve to say "you're doing it all wrong"! Unbelievable. So glad he's gone.

I liked Tyler and Meg's room, but agreed that it was a little too impersonal. What a difference, though! That house really was made over (in a good way).

Cathy and her overly-open eyes really are distracting, and scary looking. She's quite a diva, it seems.

But, I love this show and along with PR, I'm so excited about summer TV!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm really old . . . I didn't realize that "blended family" fit into the "two mommies" world. Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL.
    AZ, I never heard her say "blended family" - only the statement about her "wife and kids."
    So, I assumed she was gay.

NavyBelle,
    The Novogratz's are a family with 7 kids.
    They had a show on Bravo about their design business called 9 by Design.
    I couldn't get into them / show, but a lot of people did, it seems.
    They have a new show on HGTV this season and that is why they appeared on Design Star.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 07-29-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast