+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 7/18 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

7/18 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

It's the White Room Challenge - best challenge of the season. I can't wait to see how this group designs their rooms.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 7/18 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

Loved the white room challenge. Loved Tyler's water bottle lounge chair. Thought he should have won but it looks as if the judges are basing the win on both how well the designers met the challenge and how well they did on their TV presentation. Felt Mark and his flying bed was a definite second and Kevin and his butcher paper wall third.

The right people were in the bottom three and J was the right person to send home. Wow, the judges were dead on perfect tonight. I think the best thing the producers ever did was putting Vern back into judge mode he is obviously happier in that role.

What surprised me is interior designers are artists yet the bottom three couldn't find that free spirit within themselves. What part of concept did they not understand. Meg should have gone further with her shadow theme and just made the entire room a room of shadows that would have been so cool. J was totally lost and Cathy is a control freak. The only thing that saved Cathy was her TV presentation and her spice rug.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I loved the white room challenge as well. I also thought the water bottle lounge room should have won. It was so edgy and hip. The winning room was good, but definitely had a super-hero vib to it, like a theme room.

If I remember correctly, didn't they do a few white room challenges on the first season with different parameters and mediums? I like that because it gets old watching them do team challenges where all they do is fight and each person gets to have one small piece represent them. I want to see what they will do with a whole room!
    Debb70 likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders View Post
    I loved the white room challenge as well. I also thought the water bottle lounge room should have won. It was so edgy and hip. The winning room was good, but definitely had a super-hero vib to it, like a theme room.

If I remember correctly, didn't they do a few white room challenges on the first season with different parameters and mediums? I like that because it gets old watching them do team challenges where all they do is fight and each person gets to have one small piece represent them. I want to see what they will do with a whole room!
    Yes, the first season they did too many white room challenges, and we complained wanting to see what they could do with a real room. I hope they have achieved a balance. I don't like the team challenges either. I guess the budget is too small and time too limited to have individual comps outside the white room format. I would love to see more white rooms, definately. I would like them to make a usable room in the white room challenge with a painter and carpenter so we see their ability without the limitations of time constraint caused by having to do too much, too fast.

I liked the studio apartment challenge last season and hope to see that again when the numbers dwindle.

I just feel sorry for the homeowners in next week's challenge. Those always seem to go badly.
    Arielflies and Little Sew&Sew like this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

In what is definitely a rare occasion, I completely agreed with both the top three and the bottom three. I liked Mark's wall mural, but did not understand why he placed about two dozen silver bowls on either side of the room. Would have been better without them IMHO. I think my overall favorite was Kevin's room with the crumbled up butcher's paper, but I also liked Karl's room that was painted in different colored squares (walls and furniture both). It was probably the most functional of all the rooms.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I just feel sorry for the homeowners in next week's challenge. Those always seem to go badly.
    I suspect that the homeowners are either putting up a spec house for a redo because they were going to gut it anyway or they have a contract that says the show will pay for or repair mistakes. There has to be some benefit to them or no one would do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I suspect that the homeowners are either putting up a spec house for a redo because they were going to gut it anyway or they have a contract that says the show will pay for or repair mistakes. There has to be some benefit to them or no one would do it!
    As noted on previous seasons a crew does come in after the designers to finish all the uncompleted projects. No one is going to let a bunch of strangers go at their house without some type of guaranty.

The white room challenge, challenges the designers to be creative with their concept using materials bought not from a furniture or home improvement store. I do like Karl's white room but I think the judges are looking for a more conceptual theme rather than something functional yet artistic. I do not agree with last night's winner but Mark should be runner-up to Tyler. I think Mark and Tyler will be the final two.

Just watched the show on the Design Star Web site. If I never hear the words "Hollywood Hi-Tech" again I will be soooo happy. That, other than a Sears designer moment, was the only commercial they had. Every break it played two-times-in-a-row. The SAME commercial. I think I lost track at 14?

Anyway, We didn't see enough of Tyler's commercial, but I thought his room was the winner hands down. Loved it. I did laugh at people making light fixtures. But the plastic container one looked cool. I wish they would have scolded Cathy on her table. Break plates and glue them on the table ... that is more overdone than doing your own lamps. I did agree with the top three, just not the order. But they cut away from Tyler's presentation, so who knows if he blew it at the end.

And Bearcata, the shadow theme done full out would have been a great idea for Meg.

I agreed with who went home. And I don't think Cathy will make it to the top 3.

It just might be a Tyler/Mark top 2. But who will be the other in the top 3?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast