+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 7/18 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 7/18 DesignStar 6 Show Thread Episode 2 *West Coast Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Just watched the show on the Design Star Web site. If I never hear the words "Hollywood Hi-Tech" again I will be soooo happy. That, other than a Sears designer moment, was the only commercial they had. Every break it played two-times-in-a-row. The SAME commercial. I think I lost track at 14?

Anyway, We didn't see enough of Tyler's commercial, but I thought his room was the winner hands down. Loved it. I did laugh at people making light fixtures. But the plastic container one looked cool. I wish they would have scolded Cathy on her table. Break plates and glue them on the table ... that is more overdone than doing your own lamps. I did agree with the top three, just not the order. But they cut away from Tyler's presentation, so who knows if he blew it at the end.

And Bearcata, the shadow theme done full out would have been a great idea for Meg.

I agreed with who went home. And I don't think Cathy will make it to the top 3.

It just might be a Tyler/Mark top 2. But who will be the other in the top 3?
    I understand using broken plates to make a mosaic but who could use the tables that Cathy made. Seriously, the way she explained it you would just have a table top without a flat surface.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well, I don't think I could live in a room with crumpled up brown paper stapled to the wall either. I thought it looked great, but it would soon look terrible.

Cathy's table could have had some nylon spacers screwed to the top (to get above the level of the broken plates), with a glass top set on the spacers. Then it would have looked cool and been functional.

She's way too controlled, as the judges said. The remaining plates on the wall above the sofa just looked dinky and like what it was -- using up the leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I understand using broken plates to make a mosaic but who could use the tables that Cathy made. Seriously, the way she explained it you would just have a table top without a flat surface.
    The rooms didn't have to be functional, but I don't know if their camera talk had to be showing how to do functional pieces. I do agree that she explained it poorly. You just don't glue. You have to fill in around the pieces too to make it flat. Eh. I just can't warm up to her.

Some of you missed the point of the challenge. Just to reiterate Allie's comment, the space don't need to be functional, in fact, the judges look for a more conceptual design...something quite extraordinary. Designers that think out of the box, so to speak, usually wins this challenge.

I didn't miss the point of the challenge. I was just expanding on how a table covered with broken china could be made functional.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Once upon a time, a long time ago, HGTV used to have craft shows. If you can remember that far back, you might remember this:

Someone (possibly Candice Olsen or Martha Stewart) used brown paper bags as wallpaper. The grocery bags were ripped into manageable pieces, crumbled and then flatten out, dipped into laundry starch and applied to the walls. Much more "practical" than crumbling and stapling butcher paper, but the idea did have some merit, in a twisted, demented, time-constraint kind of way.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I hated the brown paper and was shocke the judges praised it. Looked like a bad craft project to me and the rest of his room was terrible.

I didn't mind the paper wall and kind of liked his room, but it was def third. Now that water bottle chair? LOVED it. And the paint job was wonderful. It brought to mind (Todd I think) and his wave crashed room. Still think he should have won. I liked the airplane room fine, but it seemed a bit too literal. And Vern's "who would think to make a futon into an airplane?" I thought "Any kid, but it wouldn't have been so neat looking!" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I didn't mind the paper wall and kind of liked his room, but it was def third. Now that water bottle chair? LOVED it. And the paint job was wonderful. It brought to mind (Todd I think) and his wave crashed room. Still think he should have won. I liked the airplane room fine, but it seemed a bit too literal. And Vern's "who would think to make a futon into an airplane?" I thought "Any kid, but it wouldn't have been so neat looking!" lol
    Agreed with all. And ditto on the bolded.

This was fun to watch - you could really tell who is a creative thinker. Cathy is unbearable - besides her opening her eyes too wide and being stiff - her personality and designing is disappointing. I hated that "rug" because it looked so poorly done, and the broken pieces of dishes were just dumb looking. She seems to always try to bring in a travel element, and it seems to me she's stretching for this.

Mark's room was cool, and his personality on camera was too - a real cool character. Tyler's room was amazing - I was so skeptical when I saw him leaving the store with tons of water bottles. Guess that shows my lack of creativity!! I liked Karl's room just as much - it was very pretty. He could hang in there for awhile, and I'd like to see either Leslie or Kellie go far too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast