+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mandmmom2

Thread: Mark Diaz: Season 6

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Mark Diaz: Season 6

Mark Diaz

Designer Mark Diaz has a passion for edgy, modern styles and loves to include Asian-inspired minimalism and postwar industrial designs.

Hometown: Miami, Fla.
    Mark, who grew up in a large Cuban/Italian family, says he always had a natural knack for design. After winning a scholarship for his design work in high school, Mark went on to earn a B.A. degree, Design in Architecture, from Florida International University. With a self-described passion for edgy, modern styles, he moved to New York City where he specialized in luxury hospitality design. Despite a successful career, Mark says he missed the Florida sun and returned to Miami to start his own firm. His favorite design styles, which include mid-century modern, Asian-inspired minimalism and postwar industrial, combined with his love of martial arts, are the inspiration for his current line of chandeliers that are crafted from brass knuckles.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-05-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Mark Diaz: Season 6

Wow . . . no comments in Mark's thread?

Okay, here's the first.

He seems to be in the running to win, but Karl is pretty stiff competition. Mark has more of a tv type personality (imho) but I'd love to see him get a make-over if he gets his own show. The lumberjack look needs some updating. I suspect he is an attractive man under all that facial hair.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I agree Little Sew&Sew. Also, he needs to do more than wood for everything. I'd like him to go outside his comfort zone and do a room without it being so woodsy.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

I don't think these challenges are set up for him to show his strengths. They are too limited in time and budget. I bet he creates some fabulous rooms.

Agreed. I don't doubt they ALL would benefit from more time and budget. Doesn't the chintzy amount of time and the miniscule budgets sort of imply that that's what kind of show they'd give them, since that seems to be the overarching theme of all of the challenges? Making a reality show contest of course needs excitement to make THIS show a hit. But I wonder if it's really the best way to find new talent.

Who is John Galt?

Mark is my favorite. Aside from being a cutie-pie and being able to get along with whomever he works with, he also is a great designer. I personally prefer his design style over the more flamboyant or outre styles of some of the others. Plus his easy-going charm will go over well on a TV show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    Agreed. I don't doubt they ALL would benefit from more time and budget. Doesn't the chintzy amount of time and the miniscule budgets sort of imply that that's what kind of show they'd give them, since that seems to be the overarching theme of all of the challenges? Making a reality show contest of course needs excitement to make THIS show a hit. But I wonder if it's really the best way to find new talent.
    It does seem they are looking for a budget concious show. Genevieve almost said exactly that. Their ratings may show that these programs come in higher than Candice Olsen who has a tremendous budget to work with. Mark may not be their best choice for this or maybe it is just time management.

I was not impressed with the living room/ dining room he did. I know they wanted the rooms divided but I thought the divider was way too heavy and the living room furniture terrible. Maybe they already owned that. I did recognize my rug from Ikea on the floor!

It is probably very different when you are standing in the space. TV does not always translate well. Megs studio is a perfect example of you had to be there!

FORT Fogey

I love this guy. As Vern said, he's the go to guy for out of the box designs. He did miss the boat with the little-house challenge but other than that, his and Karl's designs are by far and away my favorite.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    I love this guy. As Vern said, he's the go to guy for out of the box designs. He did miss the boat with the little-house challenge but other than that, his and Karl's designs are by far and away my favorite.
    I agree. He blew it. Too bad. He has it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above Meg. Way.

+ Reply to Thread