+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZChristian

Thread: Karl Sponholtz: Season 6

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Karl Sponholtz: Season 6

Karl Sponholtz

Mesmerized by furniture and floor plans from an early age, designer Karl Sponholtz infuses his passion for design into both ultra-modern minimalist rooms and more traditional spaces.

Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
    As a kid, Karl says his love of design was "there from the beginning." By age 10, he frequently rearranged his parents' furniture while they weren't home and was mesmerized by building blocks and floor plans. Karl, who studied architecture at the University of Illinois in Chicago, has more than 10 years of practical design experience and says that he can excite people with his passion for design. He characterizes his personal design preferences as "ultra-modern minimalist," but often completes traditional designs for his high-end clientele. As the youngest of six, Karl says he is extroverted, loud and loves to live in the moment.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-05-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Karl Sponholtz: Season 6

I really like this guy - he seems very likable. His painting on the wall (1st episode) worried me at first, but I really ended up liking it!

Cool that he won the first challenge too!
    Last edited by navybelle; 07-23-2011 at 11:42 PM.

I liked his broken tiles mosaic backsplash this week. When he mentioned it, I was sort of thinking that this is nothing new. But he made it look great (even if not a new idea).

Did he do the striped wall, that sort of looked like silhouettes of trees? I really liked that, but I somehow thought it was someone else.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I didn't think so at first, but Karl is looking like he's got a really good chance to win this season.

Is he "watchable"? Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . . still not a big fan of his tv presence.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Yes, Mark seems more watchable, though they both obviously have talent.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I didn't think so at first, but Karl is looking like he's got a really good chance to win this season.

Is he "watchable"? Hmmmmmmmmm . . . . . still not a big fan of his tv presence.
    If Cathy Hobbs can win 5 Emmys as a TV newscaster, Karl can be trained . . . OTOH, it would be worse to take a person who has no design skills and stick them in front of a camera, just because they look good.
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

I think he can be educated in his TV presentation, easily. It is a matter of being comfortable and that takes time and practice. He was my favorite from his very first room. I loved the painting he did on that wall; it made that room. He continued to show that skill in the B&B with his wave like chair rail painting execution. I am convinced he will create a good show and one I will enjoy watching. Certainly the judges see this!

I totally agree that he can be trained and with familiarity, it will become easy for him. Anyone remember the really really, I mean REALLY, way back episodes of This Old House? When it was Bob Vila and Norm Abramson, and Norm said as little as possible and looked like a deer caught in the headlights? He eventually became quite adept on camera. David Bromstad was not all that comfortable with the camera to begin with either, though I don't remember him being freaked out like Karl is. Mark generally seems comfortable, but this last week he was blowing most everything.

The thing that concerns me about Karl, and this is just a niggling "intuition" -- so I might be totally wrong -- is that I get the vibe that when he becomes comfortable he's going to become a real DIVA. I sure hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm now feeling like Karl is the strongest designer. Funny, with the first series (which David won), I had him pegged as the one to watch from quite early on. None in this group has been as consistently good. *sigh*

+ Reply to Thread