+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/22 FINALE: Design Star 5

Re: 8/22 FINALE: Design Star 5

I liked Emily more than Michael, so I'm happy for her. Not sure I'll watch, though.

This season sucked eggs. They need to bring back Clive and get back to the format they had earlier. The group challenges are way too many, they need to have a couple and then the rest need to be individual challenges.

By the time we got to the F3 there had only been 1 individual challenge.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Did the designers ever design for real people this season? Most seasons, there are several challenges where the designers do a room(s) for real people.

There was the designing the kitchen for a Sears photo spread (at least it was an outside client), but designing for a photo shoot is a very different task than designing a working kitchen.

I preferred Emily's room and presentation, but I wasn't wowed. I won't seek out her show, but who knows, if I happen to catch an episode and it's good... I'm guessing it's going to be like the Myles of Style show -- just okay.

I knew Emily would win just based on her show idea- which hasn't been done yet. Making your room look like you (or your clothes) is something not seen before on HGTV. Micheal's show idea was more generic and it's been done a million times only under different names. I thought Emily's room turned out well, but I was surprised she picked Tom as her client. I thought the first guy she picked (can't remember his name) would have been more of a challenge trying to make a room "countrified" without looking like the inside of a barn. She said his style was more like her own and she wanted to stretch herself, but I thought Tom was a pretty easy choice. I am no designer and I think I could have designed for him- he is an open book with regards to his style and I could picture a room for him before she even designed it. I do think however that Micheal's presentation was better, which I didn't expect. Emily's was a little too....can't think of a good word...dippy? It was easy-going and all, but she didn't sound polished or serious about what she was talking about. I was surprised that after the judges watched the presentations they didn't ask them any questions at all or make specific comments about the rooms. Something simple like "so Emily, why did you choose Tom as your client?" or "Micheal, what made you choose 'big girl pink'?" The whole designing of the room was done in the first 30 minutes of the show and the last 30 minutes was the 'deliberation' and they still barely talked to either designer. I also thought it was odd that they made their big decision with the entire audience still sitting there. I doubt it. They had obviously viewed each tape beforehand or went off set to discuss it. This season has been so forced and fake that I hope there isn't another season unless they go back to the old format. I'm actually glad it's over.

Have to say I hadn't really been avidly viewing since Mad Men started up again.
    I did catch 1 or 2 repeats, but didn't really see the final 2 episodes.

I thought, from Day 1, Emily was the one "chosen or pre-selected" to win DS.
    Her above average edit was obvious and the choice to pit her against Michael was calculated, as Michael never seemed to be shown in a good light.

I missed the individual challeneges this season, as well as the contestants' designing for real life people. Mark Burnett should have stayed away from this show. IMO, it totally lacked any endearing quality and, knowing so little about the designers, it was very difficult to even want to "champion" someone.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

I didn't even bother watching the finale. I was so disappointed in Vern Yip's attitude for this series. Don't know if I would watch if they do it again or not.

Overall I thought this season of Design Star was a total bust. I never saw that much creativity from the any of the designers. I know I won't be watching the winner's show. I couldn't stand Antonio from the previous season and don't like his design aesthetic either. I am sadly disappointed how Mark Burnett's production company handled this show, while previous seasons seemed amateurish at best and while this season's production values were great the main point of seeing what the designers could produce was totally missed. I have to give this season of Design Star a big fat F.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I agree that the season was a bust. BUT I will probably watch a show or two of Emily's...just to see what she can do not in the setting of DS. Also, I'd like to see what she could do with someone who has to wear suits to work but outside of work has a totally different look. She'd have to combine styles or pick one.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Who is John Galt?

I stopped watching when Cort was sent home. The rest did nothing for me. But, am glad Emily rather than Michael won. His designs were tacky at least IMO.

I wish HGTV would stop showing episodes of Design Star especially the finale ad nausem. It's like they are trying to cram Emily down our throats. Enough, the show sucked except it and move on.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4050422;
    I wish HGTV would stop showing episodes of Design Star especially the finale ad nausem. It's like they are trying to cram Emily down our throats. Enough, the show sucked except it and move on.
    I was away in a cabin in Central Oregon and didn't see the finale. Have managed to miss repeats so far. Will continue missing them. Blech season. If Clive is not back next year (if there is a next year), I think I'll miss the entire next season as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast