+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8/15 Show Thread: Design Star 5

Re: 8/15 Show Thread: Design Star 5

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4040734;
    Casey had no warmth or charisma when on camera. Her room was the weakes ot the trio, IMHO. Emily is a bit quirky, but I've not seen a show take fashion as an inspiration for the home's decor.

I also like Michael's idea, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. Emily is kind of endearing on camera.
    I think if they go for theme alone, Emily has it. I know I've seen designers (David especially) get color inspiration from items in the house, including clothes, but I've never a show on that concept. I think it could be fun. As for skills, I'm not wowed with either of the final two, but I think Michael has the edge. But I have only watched something like three episodes, so I have VERY limited knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4040734;
    Casey had no warmth or charisma when on camera. Her room was the weakes ot the trio, IMHO. Emily is a bit quirky, but I've not seen a show take fashion as an inspiration for the home's decor.

I also like Michael's idea, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. Emily is kind of endearing on camera.
    Thom Filicia from the Bravo's Queer Eye has done "Dress My Nest" based on either what fashion a person wears or some of their favorite objects. I think I saw them on the Style network.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4041272;
    Thom Filicia from the Bravo's Queer Eye has done "Dress My Nest" based on either what fashion a person wears or some of their favorite objects. I think I saw them on the Style network.
    HGTV has not had a show like that, so in that sense I could see them liking Emily's idea. Michael seems to me to be the better designer, but that's not saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4041272;
    I didn't know about that one! Hmmmm. Well, I guess there are no original ideas, only redressing of old ones.

Thom does a great job of redoing a person's space and he work with all sorts of budgets. I have even seen him repurpose furniture so I guess he combined Casey's and Emily's ideas but does it much better that either Design Star hopeful.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4041538;
    Thom does a great job of redoing a person's space and he work with all sorts of budgets. I have even seen him repurpose furniture so I guess he combined Casey's and Emily's ideas but does it much better that either Design Star hopeful.
    Frankly, I don't think HGTV needs any new "Design Stars," but I guess it's a cheap way to get at least one season's slot filled a year.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I think Emily's themed idea is more intriguing and tighter in concept than Michael's thought of designing for the My First Place crowd. Actually, it would be an interesting tie-in for him to design the whole house for them, rather than HGTV doing up one room.

I guess we'll see tonight. Good Luck to both.

ETA: Besides David, no one has had more than a one season deal with the network, except for Antonio who is starting his second season. I really like his show, especially when he does commercial spaces (small retail stores.) I like his crew and I like his inspiration process. I also like how he brings in artists and craftsmen who he has come to know by working in the movie industry. I've gotten used to his rough manner, and have come to appreciate it. IF they choose Emily, she may not go more than one season, but Michael, if they do the tie-in to My First Place, may last longer.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12