+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/8 Show Thread: Design Star 5

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

8/8 Show Thread: Design Star 5

Down to the FINAL FOUR and they actually get to eat this episode.

Enjoy the aromas and the textures.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 8/8 Show Thread: Design Star 5

Shock of my life, Courtand was sent home.

This was finally a decent challenge and the final results actually looked good. That and being given 2 days to complete it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4030400;
    Shock of my life, Courtand was sent home.

This was finally a decent challenge and the final results actually looked good. That and being given 2 days to complete it.
    Thanks for the heads up...looks like this one might finally be worth watching tonight.

I thought it was another trainwreck. Design a space inspired by your brunch. C'mom HGTV..there are only FOUR of them left, you couldn't at least give them their own space to design and let them loose in a nice department store to actually buy stuff? I was surprised I liked the green ceiling- thought that was a bad move to start, but with the curtains it kind-of worked. The 'ottoman; they raved about was about 4 inches higher than the chair it was paired with and looked very poorly made. The dining table with the bench looked lopsided with 2 big chairs on one side and that little bench on the other. I almost liked the copper sconces, but I thought they needed something over the naked bulb and they got lost on that brick wall. The plastic flower chandelier was just ugly. The judges have to start praising them now otherwise they won't be able to justify picking a winner in the end.

Was anyone else disturbed with Micheal smashing the angels? I think the mirror he made was kind-of cool, but I believe in karma and you wouldn't catch me smashing any angel heads- even for design....creepy.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

May I say first off - HOORAY! The glass box in public challenge from season one returns next week. This time, instead of final two designing bedrooms, it's final three designing sunrooms.

Courtney as confident narrator was an edit clue that he was going home. If only he had stayed away from an orange faux painted wall. Courtney, really, again? This is the first time, I think, that the Final four has remained in teams. At least these teams could work together to make their spaces cohesive.

I thought the green ceiling was a nice touch and thank goodness they went white with the furniture because it was a very dark green. Without the green/white patterned drapes, it would have been oppressive. I like that Emily and Michael were able to incorporate the knickknacks scattered all over the room, although I think Michael added seven years bad luck to an unbroken mirror. I was not as fond of Casey's re-purposed side table with the pillow added top as the judges were. It looked awkward and out of scale. The pattern was also glaring in the room, even with the orange wall. But, in the end, both spaces looked like dining rooms and not over-stuffed sitting/dining rooms. Good job, guys.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4030461;
    I thought it was another trainwreck. Design a space inspired by your brunch. C'mom HGTV..there are only FOUR of them left, you couldn't at least give them their own space to design and let them loose in a nice department store to actually buy stuff? I was surprised I liked the green ceiling- thought that was a bad move to start, but with the curtains it kind-of worked. The 'ottoman; they raved about was about 4 inches higher than the chair it was paired with and looked very poorly made. The dining table with the bench looked lopsided with 2 big chairs on one side and that little bench on the other. I almost liked the copper sconces, but I thought they needed something over the naked bulb and they got lost on that brick wall. The plastic flower chandelier was just ugly. The judges have to start praising them now otherwise they won't be able to justify picking a winner in the end.
    I agree with everything you said, but I loved the sconces.

This show needs some format changes and a higher budget. Way too many team challenges and the limited budget created rooms that most of us could do easily but wouldnt want to. All of the rooms we have seen this season are bare and don't come close to having a polished decorated look. Go back to the white boxes. Every room in my house outshines all that they have done this season.

I am psyched to see this final challenge but again, if the budget is too low then we get another Trading Spaces mess.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;4030461;

Was anyone else disturbed with Micheal smashing the angels? I think the mirror he made was kind-of cool, but I believe in karma and you wouldn't catch me smashing any angel heads- even for design....creepy.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said, though I wasn't creeped out by the angel smashing.

So, we're down to the final three and there's been one individual challenge? I still have no idea about the design capabilities and sensibilities of these contestants so I have no interest in watching the winner's show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4030822;

So, we're down to the final three and there's been one individual challenge? I still have no idea about the design capabilities and sensibilities of these contestants so I have no interest in watching the winner's show.
    I couldn't agree with you more. At least with white box challenges I got to see what the designers could do...very fond memories of David Bromstead's Pet Store Room and Apple Room as well as one designers Tsunami (crashing wave) Room. None of the designers here have impressed me. All they are looking for is someone with hosting abilities, not design abilities. So what is the point of calling the show Design Star? It should be renamed "Hosting a Design Show Star".

This show is so dead, I hope we have a nice funeral and move on.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm still not impressed with the final 3. They need to really show something next week in order for the winner's show to be a success.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

This show is probably on its last leg. Last season's winner Antonio was a bust in my opinion. It looks like this season's winner will be in the same category.
    There's no place like home!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast