+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/1 Show Thread: Design Star 5

8/1 Show Thread: Design Star 5

Kitchens? Hosting? I'm looking forward to what they do with this challenge - I think.

I am also looking forward to reading your comments.

P.S. Thank you, Bearcata, for opening the thread last week. Now that we've moved down the index list, I hope everyone finds the forum.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 8/1 Show Thread: Design Star 5

You're welcome, Arielflies.

OMG, the thread has been moved. Has anyone told HGTV that this season of Design Star is not a hit regardless of all the commercials they run claiming it is?

I barely watched this show and didn't miss much. It was so obvious that neither Michael or Courtland would not be in the bottom two. For some reason the judges love them. I was surprised to hear Courtland has a fiancee as I thought both he and Michael batted for the other team.

It is so sad at this point in the show I really don't know what any of the designers can do in a room. Needless to say I won't be watching any show any of them host. More than likely I would throw stones at them but I don't want to damage my TV. Still if there was a way to do it virtually I would. I wish that the producers would do a crossover show with STARZ's Spartacus and we viewers could throw all the designers and the production company into the arena as criminals charged with wasting the viewers time and having poor taste. Thier wonderful hosting skills would not save them from the swords and spears of the gladiators and I for one would be cheering with the crowds as the designers and the production teams blood soaked the sands.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-02-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Egads, I'm only 10 minutes into the show, but they're down to 5 contestants and they're doing another team challenge! And, yes, it's also an inspiration challenge.

And, it's also a design for a photo shoot -- like that's what an HGTV designer needs to be good at.

After this show, we're down to four designers and I have no idea about their design capabilities, and I don't see how the judges can either.

One day you're the favorite, the next day you're out. By-bye, Alex.

I actually enjoyed this episode. Part of it was because of the smaller teams and part of it was because the "Big" personalities (well, other than Cortland and Michael) are gone. Cortland and Emily worked well together and so did Stacy and Michael. Poor Alex was the odd man out, literally.

I liked how they tried to stay true to their French or Italian looks, even though I would have styled them a bit different. I'm surprised Emily didn't place an eggplant on a chopping block with a knife beside it and used only that on the marble counter top which was above the eggplant color of the island. But, as she said, I guess there wasn't time to really edit the accessories. I liked that the French kitchen included a wine rack and that Stacy went mildly rustic with the furniture pieces. I also like that they included an eating space even though it wasn't a part of the shot.

Emily is still too flippant in her presentation - and Alex did better, but he lost on trying to bring a corkscrew in and explain it away as the working triangle. He was so gracious in his exit. I think he did learn something on the show...saying he was the youngest one there and he made it to top five. Well, he made it to top five because he showed some flair when needed - just not on this challenge.

I still don't like the new production values, but I did like this episode.

By the way...did you know that guest judge John Giddings posed for steamy romance novel covers to earn money for college? He disclosed that on one of his "Block" shows when a romance novel fan recognized him. I always thought him too arrogant, but this brought him down to earth for me. It was that moment like when you are nervous to give a speech yet you imagine everyone in the audience stripped to their underwear. It brings them to your level.

I'm actually looking forward to the next two episodes.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fanatic

I've found this current series very unexciting but decided to watch it due to the kitchen location.

Frankly, I don't really care who wins the big prize. No one really catches my attention.

Aside from slapping some paint on the walls and buying a table and chairs, I don't see that they designed anything. It seems they 'styled' the room for the photo shoot, but that's about it. There are only so many ways to configure some cabinets and appliances- this was a total commercial for Sears and that's it. I was totally disappointed...again. There were only 5 of them- couldn't they at least have an individual challenge. I have no idea of any of their 'design esthetics' at this late date, and I'm not sure I ever will. It's sad that they so ruined this show- it used to be good.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;4019271;
    [snipped]...
    By the way...did you know that guest judge John Giddings posed for steamy romance novel covers to earn money for college? He disclosed that on one of his "Block" shows when a romance novel fan recognized him. I always thought him too arrogant, but this brought him down to earth for me. It was that moment like when you are nervous to give a speech yet you imagine everyone in the audience stripped to their underwear. It brings them to your level....
    I didn't know that. I must have missed that "Block" show and I thought I had seen them all. I like Giddings on that show and I liked him (and his work) when he was on "Designed to Sell." I was glad to see him as guest judge.

I know this show is called Design Star, but I'm putting the "design" aspect of the show aside and focusing on the hosting. None of them are great designers; they're all pretty average. So now I just ask, who would I want to watch as a host on TV?

The only one would be Emily. We've seen her hosting abilities twice now, and both times I found myself saying, "Hey, she's actually a good host." She's a little all over the place at the moment, but if she just brushed up a little, I say she would make a fine host. So Emily ftw!

On a side note, Courtland has a fiancee? And it's a woman!?
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I know, CG - that surprised me, too.

I do like Emily's personality of all of the rest, but like you said she needs to tighten to a script because while she is funny when "off the cuff" that is not what they are looking for.

Remember how the judges dissed David's hosting? Look at him now!

I know, CG - that surprised me, too.

I do like Emily's personality of all of the rest, but like you said she needs to tighten to a script because while she is funny when "off the cuff" that is not what they are looking for.

Remember how the judges dissed David's hosting? Look at him now!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast