+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

I agree, I am disappointed too.

**In a previous season I loved the challenge where they designed a space for each designer after interviewing them to get an idea of their style.
    **I loved David Bromstead and he stood out as a star on his season, immediately. I see no one leading the pack here but that may be due to
    the uninspired challenges.
    **I miss the woman judge from a decorating mag whose name escapes me at the moment (was that even this show?).
    **I like the new set. Perching on stools always looks uncomfortable (was that even this show?). I may be mixing two together here.
    **I want Nina to go home.
    **I love Candice Olsen. Her skill is far above Genieve.
    **I have not seen anything Vern has done outside of Trading Places and you just cannot judge any designer based on that show.

I am hopeful it will get better when the contestants are working on their own. Artists of any kind never excell when they have to compromise their sensibilities on a team.

FORT Newbie

vern used to be cute happy and fun to watch.
    now he's a bitter old queen.

Quote Originally Posted by slurpeee76;3987406;
    Holy crap!!
    I must have the worst Gay-dar in the world. I never even had the thought that Vern was gay. I suppose I should just be glad that I see people as just "people" w/o labels but sometimes I feel so clueless.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by slurpeee76;3987406;
    Vern fun? Really? I have always seen him contained and serious.

Actually, he was quite fun when he was on TS and still managed to do some great designs there. His work was never on the level of Genevieve's. She always seemed a dilettante, while he seemed very well trained and brought the architectural aspect to his designs, too.
    I don't like his attitude on this show, but then I don't like any of the designers' attiytudes on this show. Way too stuffy and smug.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I feel like he's trying too hard. He attempts to have clever one-liners and stinging quips, but all he ends up looking like is a wannabe Simon. I was hoping he would be sacked and someone would replace him... maybe David? Oh, and I miss Clive.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3988154;
    Actually, he was quite fun when he was on TS and still managed to do some great designs there. His work was never on the level of Genevieve's. She always seemed a dilettante, while he seemed very well trained and brought the architectural aspect to his designs, too.
    I don't like his attitude on this show, but then I don't like any of the designers' attiytudes on this show. Way too stuffy and smug.
    He was fun and cute as could be on Trading Spaces. I think he's playing a role on Design Star to be more convincing as a judge. I think he'd be so much better just being himself but then it might be what HGTV wants him to do. I still like him tho because I can see the old Vern lurking just below this facade he's been portraying. I still see that old twinkle in his eyes when you know he wants to make a joke but doesn't.

Remember that the Mark Burnette production company is the new producer for the show. With their Survivor creds, maybe that is why it seems the drama is amped up this year - both for the contestants and the judges. There is also a Survivor style preview for this week. An ambulance shows up...someone is hurt...oh, my.

I do miss the old production - but, maybe they looked at ratings and less than successful winners and thought to change it up this year. I give them kudos for trying, but it isn't working...sorry, HGTV.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Let's do a Trading Spaces swap and put Frank in for Vern. I'd like to see that redhead ... cannot remember her name! ... swapped in for Genevieve. I like Candace so far, I didn't know her before Design Star.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3989547;
    Let's do a Trading Spaces swap and put Frank in for Vern. I'd like to see that redhead ... cannot remember her name! ... swapped in for Genevieve. I like Candace so far, I didn't know her before Design Star.
    Laurie...she had a great eye for fabrics and prints!!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast