+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

Re: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

HGTV is not about design anymore. They have almost exclusively gone the reality TV route from people looking for houses or now even people looking to rent a place. It really is just a reality real estate station with a liberal message inserted to show their "point of view". I suspect that Dan was sent home because he is from Arkansas....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3978286;

And what about the previews for next week? I guess they are going to take their "inspiration" (oh excuse me...I mean the JUDGES' inspiration) from fire but they can't use red, orange, or yellow??

GAAAAAAAHHHH!
    Nina will, but she'll call it something else and get away with it. Maybe she'll use all three together in squiggly lines!

FORT Regular

Nina will, but she'll call it something else and get away with it.
    Likely, she'll default to her signature magenta, which will be described as " a bold, fiery alternative to classic red, a creative blend of red/orange/yellow that only her fellow true artists can appreciate" &, of course, it will undoubtedly be both "crucial to the entire team's overall design" & "present throughout the space."

So, the suspense of the episode will be whether Michael or Courtland will paint the stripes? on which wall? and using which finish - flat, eggshell, glossy, or a combo? And whether Alex will use squares or rectangles for his signature abstract wall art project? will he complete this single project in time?

Ugh...

Nina should have been booted. Three challenges in a row she does the same thing. And it wasn't even something that looked great. Did anyone notice the horrible paint job that she did on the largest square? I couldn't help but stare at it when they were standing in front of it. You could see the marks from the paint roller where she didn't even attempt to paint at least another layer on it. Sick of Vern and I used to like him. I keep waiting on someone to pull a Genevieve and put moss all over the walls. It seems to me that at least two of the judges have forgotten that we have proof of some of their own questionable design skills. Anyone that watched Trading Spaces while Gene and Vern where on would know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3979642;
    Nina should have been booted. Three challenges in a row she does the same thing. And it wasn't even something that looked great. Did anyone notice the horrible paint job that she did on the largest square? I couldn't help but stare at it when they were standing in front of it. You could see the marks from the paint roller where she didn't even attempt to paint at least another layer on it. Sick of Vern and I used to like him. I keep waiting on someone to pull a Genevieve and put moss all over the walls. It seems to me that at least two of the judges have forgotten that we have proof of some of their own questionable design skills. Anyone that watched Trading Spaces while Gene and Vern where on would know what I am talking about.

I totally remember. That's why I find it hard to watch Genevieve to this day.
    On the other hand, Vern was always a good designer even while on TS, IMO.
    He just comes across as way too mean and condescending on this, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3979653;
    [/B]

I totally remember. That's why I find it hard to watch Genevieve to this day.
    On the other hand, Vern was always a good designer even while on TS, IMO.
    He just comes across as way too mean and condescending on this, though.
    I am surprised to find that Dear Genevieve is not that bad a show, certainly her designs are not as wacky as when she was on Trading Spaces.

I loved Vern on Trading Spaces, he seemed so full of joy and wanted to do well for each of his families but it seems as if he has lost that spark and it is kind of hard to watch him now, as if he is a different person.

Surprisingly, the Food Network stars seem more at ease in their own skins and that comes across when they are hosting shows other then their own.

I honestly think that if David Bromstad was on this cycle of Design Star I don't know if he would win. He was extremely strong in the challenges. I still remember the white box challenge where he had to shop at a pet store for decorations and later the apples he used to create a focal point in another challenge. At least I had an idea of what kind of designer he was and how creative he could be on the fly. I still don't know what kind of designers any of these contestants are beyond their basic personalities which at this point is not saying much.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular

I still don't know what kind of designers any of these contestants are beyond their basic personalities which at this point is not saying much.
    You've gleaned more from these initial episodes than me. Given the majority of commentary is criticizing competitors' teamwork &/or design abilities, I don't have a sense of most contestants' personalities (e.g. Who is Stacy or Casey beyond not liking to work with Nina?).

Quote Originally Posted by *angela;3981470;
    You've gleaned more from these initial episodes than me. Given the majority of commentary is criticizing competitors' teamwork &/or design abilities, I don't have a sense of most contestants' personalities (e.g. Who is Stacy or Casey beyond not liking to work with Nina?).
    I only remember Nina because she is loud and bossy and paints squiggly lines. I remember Emily, cause she has the snaggle tooth. I remember Dan cause he was the only guy on the woman's team. Oh, yes, I remember Courtand cause he likes to paint stripes and of course I remember Alex because he is constantly in the bottom two and I wonder why is he still here.

There are others???

But as far as their skills as designers. I don't know haven't really seen anything. As far as I know they all suck.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

Oh, I can't stand that awful Nina, which is probably why she is still on - great for the ratings.

Vern is a big disappointment this season - he's mean. Maybe his baby is keeping him up nights. I read that he and his partner welcomed a baby boy in January.

Quote Originally Posted by sclilred1;3979642;
    You are so right about that!!
    Their designs weren't always so great. I, too, am very disappointed in this season's shows. Just not the same and difficult for me to figure out who did what and how it was inspired.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast