+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

FORT Fanatic

Re: 7/11 Show Thread: HGTV Design Star 5

I thought this was a silly challenge. Not having any artistic ability at all, this reminds me of Project Runway in that this is so subjective. I like something and you hate it - are you wrong? No, just different taste.

I think Vernon is pretty unpleasant sometimes. I used to watch him doing a show where he would design a room for someone doing something good without being compensated for it. I guess he could be nice on that but as a judge, he has to make people toe the line.

Still don't like it though. Any idea how tall Vern is?

The next challenge....use the inspiration that you are a "real" designer. Right now they would all be sent home.
    There's no place like home!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by taracran;3975995;
    I loved Dan and was so sad that he was sent home. I dont even want to watch anymore and I think that the judges are overated!
    Last night I realized I had absolutely no interest in watching another group challenge and thought I'd maybe fast forward through it "on demand". But I don't even have any desire to do that. These group challenges just don't give the individual designers a chance to shine and for us to get a feel for what they can really do.

I'm also disappointed in the judges. I thought Candace and Genevieve would be good additions to the judging staff, but their comments and decisions appear so random. (For instance, they kick off one contestant for taking inspiration from the colors in a dress and another is the winner who does the same thing.)

I'll watch the next time there are individual challenges (hopefully they haven't kicked off the best designers by then).

I also wasn't happy with the episode or who went home. When Dan was leaving the camera panned to Nina...and she had a smurk on her face...I felt like she is killing them off one by one.

I don't even know what else to add about the episode....I agree with everyone else....
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I think I"ll wait until Nina goes before tuning in again. It just isn't as fun with all these team inspiration challenges. From the couple of episodes I've seen, I don't mind snarky Vern comments.

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you. At least they all (except Nina) picked up on the emotional theme their rooms should carry. I hate that Dan got sucked into doing the hard labor once again - hanging the sliding rods for the bed curtains, putting up the frameworks and building the swing. But, as the judges said...you have to say no.

Did you hear them after the presentations of hosting by the bottom two that they unanimously changed their mind over who was going home? Because Dan's presentation sucked, he went home.

There are always team challenges except for the white room and the final four, but, in the past, the teams have been re-named every week. I don't like that it has been women vs. men for the past three weeks. I would love to see Nina try to boss around Courtland or Tom for a change.

Who knows what they'll be asked to design after being placed in a fiery pit next week...hell?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Food Network Star was a 90 minute episode, so I didn't start watching this 'til it was half over (I find myself less and less invested in DS this season - this revamped Mark Burnett version is less about design, IMO, than any of the prior seasons.)
    I'm at the point where I'm wishing they brought back Cynthia Rowley and the lady from InStyle magazine - can't remember her name. I have never felt that Genevieve was a particularly good designer - her rooms on Trading Spaces always seemed more about her and less about the room. So, to see her week after week with her smug, arrogant look to the contestants is just not that appealing. Candace, on the other hand, was one of my favorite designers and her new haughtiness on this show just makes me want to cringe. I also don't like Vern's way of dismissing the contestants - Clive's old goodbyes were so much more palatable.
    When I first turned the show on last night, they showed a snippet of Dan where he was making some gesture - can't remember what it was at this point, but it wasn't attractive to a viewer - and I knew that he was going to be a goner long before they even got to the elimination round, or even saw the finished rooms. That seems to be another Mark Burnett trademark.
    I think I'm just glad that Mad Men will be starting up again in 2 weeks.
    Design Star used to be a favorite of mine, but it's now turned into another reality show over the top fiasco. What a disappointment!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Regular

After giving it a few weeks, I'm completely disappointed in the new format & editing. The predictable episodes (i.e. individual selections, group challenge, same group members, just different inspiration pieces - e.g. fashion, instruments, flowers) & poor editing (e.g. do all three judges have telepathy to know how each contestant is inspired by his/her selection &/or creatively incorporates it into the room?) don't provide the viewer with a complete dialogue or each contestant's design skills.

IMHO this specific episode epitomizes the predictibility, incompleteness, & ineffectiveness of the show at this time. To even the teams between the sexes, it wasn't a surprise that a male was eliminated. Judging the competition individually vs by teams was an added twist, but was ill-supported by editing. The discussions at elimination seemed illogical without first showing all contestants defending his/her flower interpretation in the completed room. For example, Courtland claiming the bookcase which he constructed (& Tom designed) as the piece representing his cally lily was seemingly rejected because it seemed to better fit Vern's interpretation of Michael's flower or because it was originally Michael's idea? Similiarly, the swing which Dan designed & constructed was credited to Nina because it was her idea. The judges are leaving the impression, at least to this viewer, that design ideas are more important than execution, & the carpenter/designers aren't valued for their additional skills.

IMHO the wrong designer went home this week. Nina overstated her contribution (throughout the room, ensuring her teammates made elegant purchases!) , incorporated the exact color of her flower violating the stated rule, & rehashed a prior "original" art concept. Courtland claimed one piece as his flower interpretation, which was rejected by the judges, leaving him unrepresented in the final design. Although he seems like a nice person, is attractive, & has relatively strong hosting abilities (of which he's had more practice since being in the bottom two before), Alex's only design contribution on every challenge seems to be arranging squares or rectangulars into abstract wall art (which he seems to struggle to complete in the allotted time without little to no assistance with other elements in the spaces). When he attempted more responsibility this week, he couldn't even order paint correctly! At least Dan contributed every week to the team without mistake, while attempting to simultaneously incorporate his own pieces. Similiar to Nina, Dan indicated the clusters of elements - frames, pillows, etc. - throughout the space was inspired by his flower, but was criticized for not having more representation in the room. Ugh...

Regarding the preview of next week, it looks like more of the same. Unfortunately, I'm interested in less promotional/inspirational trips & more designing!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3975872;
    The only thing that would have made me happy with this episode would have been Nina going home for retreading the same exact idea 3 challenges in a row and for using the hot pink of her orchid when the judges specifically told the designers not too. I would not watch her if she gets her own show, neither would I watch Alex.
    I would be happy if they sent her home for any reason. I ha-a-a-a-a-te her! Which is probably why they are keeping her on, for controversy.

Of the two guys at the bottom, they definitely sent the wrong one home. This is the second week i a row the other guy was a loser. The only thing not making me want him to go home right away is wanting Nina to go home even more.

I would absolutely not watch either of their shows, or Vern's either, for that matter. He is very unlikeable.

FORT Newbie

I agree with the general consensus here that this season SUCKS! As I've said before how can you judge someone when you ask them to take inspiration from an object? It's THEIR inspiration...NOT the judges! And Vern is just being a little bee-yotch! When he said "You will NOT be getting your own TV show!" I expected him to throw in a "Neener-neener!" Lighten up, dude. Really liked Dan and wish we could've seen more from him. Totally unfair that he went home and it sounds like it was based strictly on his demo performance. Give the poor guy a chance...it was his first one! And Genevieve telling him to just "Stop!" doing the construction/contractor duties? What's he supposed to do if he's the only one on the team that can do them?

And what about the previews for next week? I guess they are going to take their "inspiration" (oh excuse me...I mean the JUDGES' inspiration) from fire but they can't use red, orange, or yellow??

GAAAAAAAHHHH!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast