+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

Enjoy the music of the great outdoor space!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

The boys can't get Alex's daybed up the regular elevator why didn't they use the freight elevator every building has one. That's what it is for. How do they think stuff gets up into buildings? Fly?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Who knew Alex could present so well during his hosting gig. Poor Trent. Yeah, Tom for standing up and admitting what went wrong with the team dynamic. Courtland had no reason to complain about what Tom did.

We were wondering why they didn't even attempt to show trying to move it up some stairs. You're right, or the freight elevator!

Expressing a specific musical instrument noticeably somewhere within a 200 SF patio is a pretty tall order. That said, the execution tonight really looked like amateur hour. The squiggly lines, the wooden fence with plants attached to it, the plaster?!?! Looked like projects by kids!

It didn't help that the instruments had to be physically there with someone's photo attached, because that actually took up alot of space. Ie., the keyboard.

Again,as last week, I didn't like this episode that much either. It seemed like a regurgitation of last week's episode just with musical instruments instead of clothes and outside instead of inside. I think even Tom made that same general statement that they tried to to do the same thing as last week and it didn't work this week. I don't really want to see some room "inspired" by something like a cello or a trumpet. I want to see designers, designing and not in a team either. Is it time to start going more individually, like the white box challenge yet?

I also agree that not only did the instruments themselves take up a lot of room, it totally changed the design esthetic as well. All those shiny instruments in all the different colors made the rooms look overly crowded and cluttered.

My problem with Tom & Trent, which was Courtland's problem with them as well, is that they didn't speak up when the group was designing the space. T &T waited to speak up and say what they didn't like in front of the judges. If you don't like it say something then when something can be done about it. If they don't listen, then you can said i fought for it but they won. You can't just say they have strong personalities so I'm just going to go along and not say anything. If you don't say anything and th eteam loses you can go home. Courtland at least expressed his idea and vision. If he lost on it he can say at least i'm not going home because i didn't say anything. Tpme saying well we followed courtland because he won last time is ridiculous. Your in the competition too and are responsible to the group as an individual as well.

FORT Newbie

I don't like these "inspiration" group challenges at all. How do you judge somebody when you ask them to take their own inspiration from something? Their inspiration could be ANYthing...because it's THEIR inspiration! If you ask me to design a room and use a banana as my inspiration and I design the room like a barn...maybe I ate bananas in a barn when I was a child and that's what the banana inspired in me. So how can you judge that??

I'm also ready for some individual challenges. I hate they started out with the white box room. I personally think each episode should be white box rooms with different challenges in how to design it, different clients, etc. That's how you truly see what kind of designer they are. Why should we care how well they work together as a team? It's all in the drama factor...they want the arguments and squabbles for "good TV".

FORT Fanatic

I thought this was a silly challenge. As another blogger has noted, didn't the building have a freight elevator (actually, I live in a 6-story condo on the east coast and we don't have a freight elevator - just two regular passenger elevators).

I thought the squiggly lines looked ridiculous - like something a kid would do. Shows what I know about design - the judges loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by swissmiss150;3953374;
    I thought this was a silly challenge. As another blogger has noted, didn't the building have a freight elevator (actually, I live in a 6-story condo on the east coast and we don't have a freight elevator - just two regular passenger elevators).

I thought the squiggly lines looked ridiculous - like something a kid would do. Shows what I know about design - the judges loved it.
    Well, this was Trump building so it better have a freight elevator.

I too didn't like the squiggly lines. I would have painted over them. I thought the lines of wood showed rhythm and that was enough.

Please bring back the white box challenges.

I don't like that this show is a copy of The Apprentice.

To the Point

I have found the challenges to be boring and uninspired! They really don't show any individual's abilities. I thought the squiggly lines looked okay (just okay) at a distance, but very elementary and amateurish when shown close-up.

And yes, I too was telling them to find the freight elevator. They never listen to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast