+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

Re: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3955126;
    Trent from the men's team.
    Thank you! Trent, huh? I'd rather one of the other women went home, but I'll have to watch the ep to see if I agree with the boot.

I agree that the men's team was worse than the other team. I agree that Trent should have went home. I have to say...Courtland is eye candy so they can keep him a few more episodes. Seriously though, I don't like anything about the show this season. I pretty much agree with everyone here.

Right after this show David Bromstead's show was on...a new episode in Miami...he made over an outdoor space. That is how you do it! He took inspiration from the couple's favorite restaurant. He discussed with them what they loved about the restaurant, etc. He created a beautiful room that was modern and traditional.

I'm okay with using something for inspiration but usually when that is done there is a specific person you are making a room over for. That person will tell you why inspired by such and such. These challenges are really broad in a sense. Yes, they used musical instruments to make over the patio. But they used their inspiration not someone elses. The judges inspiration isn't the designer's inspiration. So, how do you judge that? The judges should maybe tell them how each instrument inspires them and have the designers go from there.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I have read in the TV Guide that the next challenge is to design a room and the inspiration is flowers. That should be interesting. But I would perfer to see that as an individual white box room challenge.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I don't have an issue with giving the designers something to "inspire" them. For better or worse, it's been done on Project Runway and probably other shows. Maybe the word "inspiration" is a misnomer - I look at it the same way a designer would be told by a client "you have to keep this such-and-such-item in the design;" in other words, it's a starting point. A good designer can work with an element that doesn't inspire, but that item can set the direction for the design nonetheless.

How did the winner win? That wall with scribbles was horrible. She did a "mural" on the other challenge, too. I would be interested to see if she makes it three-times-in-a-row.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3957395;
    How did the winner win? That wall with scribbles was horrible. She did a "mural" on the other challenge, too. I would be interested to see if she makes it three-times-in-a-row.
    I agree. It looked like something my 8yo would do...and look just as good!!
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3956571;
    I have read in the TV Guide that the next challenge is to design a room and the inspiration is flowers. That should be interesting. But I would perfer to see that as an individual white box room challenge.
    I hope it's a white box challenge too. If it's another team challenge, I'm not going to bother watching. IMO, team challenges are a waste of time as the designers are constrained by the group's overall plan.

I've been disappointed in the judging this season. In the fashion-inspiration show, a designer got voted off because she took color inspiration from the fashion. Another designer took the colors from the fashion piece and painted a stripe of each on the wall and won - how is that any different that what the losing designer did? And I agree with others about last week's scribble winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;3960077;
    I hope it's a white box challenge too.
    I prefer when they work in real spaces rather than white boxes. I want to see how designers deal with windows, natural light, ceilings, doors, electrical requirements, traffic flow, etc. White boxes are diaramas; they're three-dimensional, full-scale presentation boards.

I see your point rebotco but do that without it being a team challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2;3960270;
    I see your point rebotco but do that without it being a team challenge...
    Team challenges would be ok early & midway into the season if leadership was part of the challenge. A design star does have to oversee projects, after all. Actually, I'm surprised there's no leadership or project manager setup, this being a Mark Burnett production.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast