+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

Re: 6/27 Show Thread Design Star 5

I guess it is unanimous. The fans hate all of these group challenges. It's pretty much a waste of time IMO. The prospect that the judges can determine if you were properly inspired, is absurd. It must be a lot of scripted stuff that is coming from their lips. Too bad, because I have always loved Vern and Candice. Not so much for Geniveve.

I can't believe the judges pretended to like the wall of boards with greenery growing out of it! That was hideous. I don't think I have seen anything quite that tacky to date on that network. I could see that kind of thing behind my Aunt Beatrice's tomatoe plants, but not a NY terrace. LOL

I really hope they get real with the challenges and give the contestants an opportunity to showcase their talent, one way or the other. I hope the producers understand they must change what they are doing. It could lose them viewers.

I HATE the new format! I couldn't believe they regurgitated the same challenge two weeks in a row. I mean, really...another "inspiration" challenge? And to keep the two teams (men vs. women) intact? Come on, producers - where is your creativity?

I know David Bromstad is the only Design Star to still be on the air, but remember season one when the final four re-designed studio apartments and then presented them for camera? David was said to be stiff and the judges really didn't like his presentation that much. He won the show with his final design, not his presentation. I've actually thought the personalities of the other three winners were fine for the TV make-overs that were their short-lived shows. Why they were cancelled - other than the painter, Jen, who went home to be a mother - I have no idea.

I miss the audition process being shown. I miss Clive and his humor. Other than Emily, I don't see a TV personality among this bunch. Okay, enough.

All I got out of this episode is that Nina's ego, like the Grinch's heart, will grow 10 times its size for the next episode - throwing more drama into the mix. I also note that she is following in Jen's footsteps as a decorative painter - blech. I agree with Emily that the wood lines were just right and the white painted curlicues were too much.

Remember that Candice likes sparkle and bling, Genevieve seems more organic and Vern is about balance. I'm really surprised they can agree about anything. And what is with the "false" whispering from chairs set too far apart at the final decision where the contestants can see them. Surely that is for show and no decision is being made at that point.

I applaud Trent for taking himself out without waiting for the ax to fall. He knew he couldn't work in that environment and he said so. And on that bugler's note, I'm done with my rant for this week. Too bad I'll probably have to rant again next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3953468;

Remember that Candice likes sparkle and bling, Genevieve seems more organic and Vern is about balance. I'm really surprised they can agree about anything. And what is with the "false" whispering from chairs set too far apart at the final decision where the contestants can see them. Surely that is for show and no decision is being made at that point.
    This bugs me to no end! There is no way they could possibly be conferring to make their "secret" decision with chairs 10 ft apart, and the bottom feeders right there in the same room.

The only improvement this season is making each member of the losing team tape a TV demo of their space. I don't recall them doing this in prior seasons.

I would much rather see them do individual challenges each week, that is the only way to see their design point of view. If the producers want to determine how well the contestants interact with / manage others, they could assign a small crew to each contestant. The crew person could help them with construction or painting during the individual challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3953468;
    I HATE the new format! I couldn't believe they regurgitated the same challenge two weeks in a row. I mean, really...another "inspiration" challenge? And to keep the two teams (men vs. women) intact? Come on, producers - where is your creativity?

I know David Bromstad is the only Design Star to still be on the air, but remember season one when the final four re-designed studio apartments and then presented them for camera? David was said to be stiff and the judges really didn't like his presentation that much. He won the show with his final design, not his presentation. I've actually thought the personalities of the other three winners were fine for the TV make-overs that were their short-lived shows. Why they were cancelled - other than the painter, Jen, who went home to be a mother - I have no idea.

I miss the audition process being shown. I miss Clive and his humor. Other than Emily, I don't see a TV personality among this bunch. Okay, enough.

All I got out of this episode is that Nina's ego, like the Grinch's heart, will grow 10 times its size for the next episode - throwing more drama into the mix. I also note that she is following in Jen's footsteps as a decorative painter - blech. I agree with Emily that the wood lines were just right and the white painted curlicues were too much.

I applaud Trent for taking himself out without waiting for the ax to fall. He knew he couldn't work in that environment and he said so. And on that bugler's note, I'm done with my rant for this week. Too bad I'll probably have to rant again next week.

You mention David Bromstad. I like his show Color Splash, but have you noticed how many problems that occur on his projects. On every show except one that I have seen, there has been a major problem. For example, they sent the wrong wallpaper, the furniture is broken, the light fixture wasn't shipped on time, etc. It appears that his assistants aren't on the ball or they are faking these emergencies to show his versitality. I find it annoying, but like him and his designs.

Is is just me or does Candice look very different from the way she did just a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3953521;
    You mention David Bromstad. I like his show Color Splash, but have you noticed how many problems that occur on his projects. On every show except one that I have seen, there has been a major problem. For example, they sent the wrong wallpaper, the furniture is broken, the light fixture wasn't shipped on time, etc. It appears that his assistants aren't on the ball or they are faking these emergencies to show his versitality. I find it annoying, but like him and his designs.

Is is just me or does Candice look very different from the way she did just a year ago?

I posted that after the first week. She has new teeth - you can telll by how different she talks - and has had some facial surgery. She reminds me of when Lisa La Porta came back to Designed to Sell after having had a lot of work done.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I see I'm not alone in not liking the new format of this show.
    It's way too much a typical Mark Burnett production and that's not a good thing for this show.
    I was pretty sure that the judges would give Nina high praise for her design, esp. after Emily panned said design. The show is just too predictable.
    Nina didn't bother me as much last night; Emily has now taken over that role.
    That whole speech of Trent's seemed way too staged.
    And, IMO, this whole show is way too staged. A shame because I really used to look forward to this show...
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3953545;
    [/B]

I posted that after the first week. She has new teeth - you can telll by how different she talks - and has had some facial surgery. She reminds me of when Lisa La Porta came back to Designed to Sell after having had a lot of work done.

Thanks.

I'm sort of enjoying the show and not taking it too seriously because so far I haven't seen anything from any of the designers that makes me think they'd be creative or interesting hosts.

But I take issue with some things:

1. In NYC, it's called a terrace, not a patio.

2. A terrace (especially at that location, Trump Tower) is all about the view. Turning the attention inward toward a purple wall or an orange wall is sacrilege, IMO.

3. One of the guys whose host taped they showed (the keyboard guy, I think - I don't know names yet on this show) described every part of the terrace except his own design, probably because it was so bad. I think he should have been called out on that. Same thing happened in a previous week by another contestant.

Who went home? I read the thread but didn't see. Missed the show because I was out of town and had no TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;3955119;
    Who went home? I read the thread but didn't see. Missed the show because I was out of town and had no TV.
    Trent from the men's team.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast