+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/20 Show Discussion

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

6/20 Show Discussion

I'm setting this up early in case I get involved elsewhere; the characters are beginning to fascinate me and I can't wait to see this latest challenge, which is drawn from fashion design. Unfortunately, from the preview, it looks like the challenge will be done in teams.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 6/20 Show Discussion

Happy with who was in the bottom two tonight. I wasn't happy with who ended up staying but, anticipated she would based on drama aspect alone. Don't like her.

I didn't like tonight's challenge- I don't think it got to showcase each person's design style or showed off what they can do.

I agree with Tara that there is nothing wrong with yellow walls, but what I don't think she was getting was that in this particular instance, she wasn't "inspired" by the yellow shirt, she just copied the yellow shirt onto the wall- pretty much the same shade too. I love yellow and find it a very happy color, not agressive (or whatever word they used) at all. I know fast food chains use yellow and orange a lot in their decor because it makes people want to eat and get the heck out, but I think certain shades of both are nice in moderation.

I didn't think this challenge worked. It would have been one thing for them each to have a space to design using one of those outfits and then it would be fairly easy to see who did what and how well they used their imagination. With an apartment I think too many people's designs were lost or left up to someone else's interpretation.

Yes, too many hands in one space tonight! I didn't think the right ones were put up for elimination. What about the girl who worked the whole time on repainting the chair?! And the other blonde one (Emily?) didn't seem to contribute much either. The one who stayed (dark curly hair) is just so awful personality-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;3943722;
    Yes, too many hands in one space tonight! I didn't think the right ones were put up for elimination. What about the girl who worked the whole time on repainting the chair?! And the other blonde one (Emily?) didn't seem to contribute much either. The one who stayed (dark curly hair) is just so awful personality-wise.

The point I think Vern made was she worked all day on it but, it did represent her item and it was good. So, that took sting out of her spending so much time on it compared to the others.

I haven't watched yet but can't wait to see what all happened :-)
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I kinda found Vern's comment that all the ladies belonged in the bottom two tonight rather interesting.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3943679;
    I didn't like tonight's challenge- I don't think it got to showcase each person's design style or showed off what they can do.

I agree with Tara that there is nothing wrong with yellow walls, but what I don't think she was getting was that in this particular instance, she wasn't "inspired" by the yellow shirt, she just copied the yellow shirt onto the wall- pretty much the same shade too. I love yellow and find it a very happy color, not agressive (or whatever word they used) at all. I know fast food chains use yellow and orange a lot in their decor because it makes people want to eat and get the heck out, but I think certain shades of both are nice in moderation.

I didn't think this challenge worked. It would have been one thing for them each to have a space to design using one of those outfits and then it would be fairly easy to see who did what and how well they used their imagination. With an apartment I think too many people's designs were lost or left up to someone else's interpretation.
    I agree 100%. This challenge did not allow the designers to really express themselves and I think a few of the women did very little and got a pass.

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Personally, I think I would much rather see them have white box challenges for the first half of the season. At least we would get to see who the bad designers are that way...I know, they want the drama so they must have them "work" together. I'm all for voicing your opinion, but Nina is too much...I was so glad she was in the bottom two! Personally, I would like Antonio come back for a special guest designer and work with her--that could be fun to watch!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I missed by "this much" not having to see Nina on my screen next week. Personally I would have dinged Tara more for the heavy dark blue velvet drapes than the yellow walls. At least Emily painted the headboard section a gray to try to tone them down.

The show as it is now being produced is so out of my Design Star comfort zone, I feel like I'm watching one of the Canadian talent search productions we've seen the past few months. Debbie Travis used the phrase, "You are my most impressive designer" to designate the winner each week. Besides the absence of a host (Clive) there are no paint cans with budget money and no chosen leader for team projects - at least so far. They also got to shop (apparently) wherever they wanted and could grab stuff without looking at price.

So, what is the theme this year? The three keep emphasizing hosting skills trump design work and one is kicked off when her/his hosting skills can't triumph over poor design choices. Although, this week, Nina had the worst host presentation yet they let Tara go for her pulling color rather than feeling from her fashion design choice.

Perhaps since the company that produces Survivor has a hand in it, they will focus on personality even more so, and true design goes out the window.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast