+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Design Star - season 5

FORT Fan

Re: Design Star - season 5

Why does Vern look and act so angry and mean these days? I wasn't feeling his 'tude last night.
    "...feelings are so 1979..."
    -classic

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;3933081;
    You know that before the judges came around there'd be a deal in place between me and my partner to ADORE what the other one did. This girl ... ugh. And of course she won that challenge.

I found it amusing when they showed Vern standing between Candace and Genevieve ... he was so small! I would be the same, so it hit me funny at the time.

Same here Mom. At only 5 foot tall, I don't have much room to talk, but at that moment, I turned to my daughter and said "I'm gonna pick him up and put him in my pocket!"
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Was switching between this and the Tonys, so I missed a bit.
    Nina, however, was totally annoying.
    I can see why they let go of the woman they did.
    I didn't really care for her design or her personality. Kind of dull.

The show, to me, is coming off more like a cross between Survivor and Celebrity Apprentice. I guess that's due to Mark Burnett.
    And, I really would prefer to just see a good design show free of the manufactured drama I saw last night.
    Am I in the minority?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3933160;
    Was switching between this and the Tonys, so I missed a bit.
    Nina, however, was totally annoying.
    I can see why they let go of the woman they did.
    I didn't really care for her design or her personality. Kind of dull.

The show, to me, is coming off more like a cross between Survivor and Celebrity Apprentice. I guess that's due to Mark Burnett.
    And, I really would prefer to just see a good design show free of the manufactured drama I saw last night.
    Am I in the minority?
    I agree and I felt like Vern's tone and body language was adding to the negative vibe.
    "...feelings are so 1979..."
    -classic

I, too, was taken back by how short Vern really is. And his attitude.

Hope Nina or whatever her name is, gets eliminated sooner rather than later. She seems too full of herself.

I like Vern, but I have to agree with the comments about him.
    I think that, from Day 1, that was the role they wanted him to play.
    I watched him for years on TS and then on Deserving Design. I really didn't see that mean vibe with those shows at all.

I think they just try to "amp" the drama with this show. Probably why they brought5 in Burnett this season.
    Why did the get rid of Clive Pearse? I miss him.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

They got rid of Clive because he represented the old school DesignStar. Sad - I do miss him, but the new format is different enough to make one wonder where they are going with it.

I noticed they had the penthouse at the Flathotel - the same residence hotel as the models from Project Runway. Another thing I noticed is that the studio is in the same building as the white room challenge. I wonder if they will use studio space for challenges more often this year?

I also noticed that the first challenge right off the bat was a carbon copy of the first challenge on Work of Art (finding the next great artist) which premiered this past week. In Work of Art (where there is a host and a mentor along with a judging panel) they partnered up and then created portraits of their partners. In DesignStar's first challenge, they partnered up and designed a bedroom for their partner. Weird.

There was also an element of Project Runway in play where they had to use materials from a single store in their designs. This was reminiscent of the grocery store challenge seen a couple of times as the first challenge in PR.

I do like that the judges walked the space in order to make their judgement rather than viewing them on a TV screen. I also liked that (like a design contest show from Canada that was on last Spring where the bottom six had an extra project to present to the firm's owners) the bottom six were called before the judges to 'splain themselves. After judgment, the bottom two presented their videos for the final call.

It makes the process of judgment more drawn out, but we get to see the thought processes of the contestants and the judges.

The personalities will be interesting to watch...I foresee DRAMA! DUH!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I'm not a fan of Nina's either and I can't understand how she won the White Room challenge.

Yes, her room was nicely done, but it looked like the room of a teenage girl, not a grown man. And then when she threw him under the bus and busted out the "bohemian" comment that we never heard before . . . . wow! Courtland's choice of words suited her just fine!

Also liked Tera's room and Dan's room.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Vern started morphing into the mean judge last season and I was hoping it was just a fluke....evidently not. Pity because he used to be one of my favorite personalities on this network.

Now that title is held by Candice....love her and want her to come design my whole house and bring her awesome crew with her (ok, fan girl moment is over).

I found it amusing that when they focused on Vern they wound up chopping off the top of Candice's head because she's so much taller than him.

The contestants, I actually don't have a feel for them yet. None of the rooms wowed me and I think they all failed in that aspect but it's their first time at bat so I'll give them all a pass. I don't think any of them have figured out the key element of designing for TV....that what often looks good in real life? Doesn't look good on TV. That for the TV you HAVE to go bigger, bolder, louder than you normally would otherwise it simply doesn't translate well.

Nina - What she did was wrong, however, he was a coward for not calling her on it right then and there.

Does anybody else get the feeling that he would fail no matter what he did? If he called her on it? The judges would have made some comment about him being catty and when he didn't? They made a comment about him being a cowardly wimp. A complete no-win situation for him, however, I'm evil and viscous and I would get her back at the first available opportunity. Yes. This is a competition but what she did? Was nothing more than to show her low caliber of character which makes me believe she won't win.

I have no favorites and none I loath...yet....going to give it a couple more shows to see if somebody emerges from the pack and catches my attention.

I do remember thinking "This is one good looking cast!" The selection committee out did themselves, they are all very attractive, definitely going for the future eye candy with this cast. Now, can they actually design and host?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Just watched and I didn't see Vern as being mean. But maybe that is because I expected a horrible person from some of the comments. He was a bit harsh, perhaps, but I think the show needs that. Can't stand Nina. Did not like her cluttered design. The other designer should not have played nice. And the look on her face when she said Bohemian was very smug and cat-who-ate-the-canary. He should have said something, but I can see why he didn't. I hope Nina goes home next if she continues to act and design like that. Her room, and the blue mess that got the designer sent home, were my two least favorite, actually. I thought the right person went home. the blond that was in the bottom with her has an engaging personality, I just hope she steps up her design.

This episode reminded me of The Apprentice, complete with the big double doors and the "boardroom" defending themselves. I do like the idea of the bottom two filming a segment so they can balance design with hosting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast