+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 9/13 FINALE Discussion...and the winner is...

Ryan ~ Reid ~ Roberto ryanfan4vr's Avatar

Re: 9/13 FINALE Discussion...and the winner is...

I thought Dan was the better designer, but I knew they would pick Antonio because they don't have anyone like him.

Regarding the two houses: I thought Dan's house lacked a little color on the walls, and I didn't care for the backsplash at all (not just the unfinished top that the judges pointed out). Also, because the house was so small, I would have kept the flooring the same in the kitchen so it flowed. Also surprised that he kept the mother's bedding. However, overall, I thought he did a good job.

As for Antonio's house, the cabinet he put over the fireplace was cool, but it toally didn't go with the brick...he should have somehow covered up all the brick. By now, we all know he has a problem with scale, but those pictures in the master bedroom were a joke. They were way too small for the wall and they were spaced way too far apart.

Most of the others that have won have had to work on there hosting skills and being more relaxed in front of the camera. He has that down...I'm thinking he's going to get a crash course in actual designing. He's seems like he has talent, he just needs to learn a few things.

Hope he does well...I'll probably check out his show.
    Last edited by ryanfan4vr; 09-14-2009 at 10:31 PM.

I finally got to see it tonight.
    And, I'd have to say that I thought Antonio's design was a lot better and a lot less predictable than Dan's.
    I do, however, appreciate the fact that Dan had definitely improved in his hosting ability with his final voiceover.
    I still think that Antonio is a pussycat underneath that gruff looking exterior. I do hope, though, that they can polish up some of the rough edges in his presentation. And, I do hope he wears more long sleeved shirts.
    I do think that HGTV is going for a different demographic this season. And, I think that had a lot to do with Antonio's win. Still, you have to find a guy endearing who can cry at the final reveal.
    I do also get the sense that Vern was not on board with the final decision.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3701325;
    I finally got to see it tonight.
    And, I'd have to say that I thought Antonio's design was a lot better and a lot less predictable than Dan's.
    I do, however, appreciate the fact that Dan had definitely improved in his hosting ability with his final voiceover.
    I still think that Antonio is a pussycat underneath that gruff looking exterior. I do hope, though, that they can polish up some of the rough edges in his presentation. And, I do hope he wears more long sleeved shirts.
    I do think that HGTV is going for a different demographic this season. And, I think that had a lot to do with Antonio's win. Still, you have to find a guy endearing who can cry at the final reveal.
    I do also get the sense that Vern was not on board with the final decision.
    As I was reading that, I thought you were going to end with "on his teeth."

Quote Originally Posted by ryanfan4vr;3701281;
    As for Antonio's house, the cabinet he put over the fireplace was cool, but it toally didn't go with the brick...he should have somehow covered up all the brick.
    That was the biggest thing for me, as well. That cabinet just seemed like...a caricature or something. But I like Antonio, he was narrowly my favorite, although I'd have been happy for Dan, if he won. I do think that the mom and daughter were really happy with what he did.

Honestly, though, I almost didn't watch at all. I was all ready to go Sunday night, and we had a power outage around 9:30 that lasted until about 6am. I turned on my tv, which was still tuned to HGTV, and got a commercial with Antonio, saying, "You know me as the winner of Design Star..." Oh, hell. Hate getting spoilers like that.

I think Dan looked too much like David, and I also wonder if HGTV is looking for their own "Guy Fieri" but for HGTV...they're own bad guy so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by jette66;3701406;
    I think Dan looked too much like David, and I also wonder if HGTV is looking for their own "Guy Fieri" but for HGTV...they're own bad guy so to speak.
    Definitely agree with you on both counts!

I do think that HGTV may be looking for another Guy.
    Fortunately, I do find Antonio more appealing than Guy.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I liked the idea of the cabinet that Antonio used over the fireplace, but it was in violation of Fire Code.

You cannot have flamable materials that close to the firebox, it needs to be at least 18 inches away, which it was not.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3701850;
    I liked the idea of the cabinet that Antonio used over the fireplace, but it was in violation of Fire Code.

You cannot have flamable materials that close to the firebox, it needs to be at least 18 inches away, which it was not.
    Good catch...surprised the judges didn't say anything...especially Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3701850;

Great catch! Was it a gas burning or "real" fireplace? Won't that make a difference?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast