+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 9/13 FINALE Discussion...and the winner is...

Re: 9/13 FINALE Discussion...and the winner is...

Dan's design was definitely superior, and he had come up with so many creative and beautiful solutions that met the clients' needs. But I was pretty sure that, short of really screwing it up, Antonio had it in the bag. The judges seemed to really like his "in your face" hosting style. Dan was still finding his way as a host, and even when he got there, he was going to be pretty much like every other host. I think the judges really wanted Antonio with his unconventional style (although there is a landscaper guy on DIY network--his show has the word Dirt in the title--who is very similar to Antonio in his style, so his approach isn't totally unique).

I wasn't surprised by the decision, but I did feel bad for Dan, because he mostly knocked it out of the park with his designs (although I didn't get the "Spring" theme, since he didn't use many colors that I would think of as spring colors).
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I didn't find the finale exciting (as in, my heart was going at a rapid pace right before the winner was announced), because I thought Dan had it in the bag for sure... and I didn't really like the two who were left. But I must say, Dan actually kinda rocked it. I thought his house was better. And he polished up his hosting skills.

I didn't like Antonio's bedroom for the little boy. And the the living room AND kitchen were a bit cramped. Other than that, I thought he did a good job also. The house was a bit girly though, so I wonder how the husband felt about that.

At the end, I think the judges went with Antonio because he had that certain edge to him that HGTV doesn't have yet.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Well, well. Hmm. I think the judges' laughter during the reveal is what tipped the scales to Antonio. He did present an eclectic living room while Dan presented a designed room. I love that Dan built the girl's bed and fixed the washer/dryer fit problem himself. But, then, Antonio came up with a door moving solution for the bathroom that opened up the bedroom. Dan had smaller spaces to work with, while Antonio had larger. For me, I would prefer Dan's style, but the family loved what Antonio did to their rooms. As soon as the judges started laughing during the presentation, I knew Antonio had it; since there wasn't much criticism of either project.

I hated that Dan was shunted off the platform as soon as the announcement was made...never to be heard from again. You Go! Dan! Go Forth and Design Well.

I'll watch Antonio's show next week because I laughed right along with the judges.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Socks77;3700464;
    I think it is a long time I've found someone as irritating as Antonio. And what's the deal with bragging aout having no formal training. I sure wouln't want to spend a fortune for a novice designer who was "finding his way". There was no comparison with Dan's and Antonio's finished designs, Dan's was far superior.
    I agree. His lack of design training showed in his furniture placement, big time. The art on the bedroom wall was lacking as well.

I knew Antonio would win, desite this, because they are looking for a new and different show. Dan, though more talented, didn't offer anything different with his personality and his hosting skills are weak.

I don't think his show will go the distance. The woman from last year in Paint Over is not doing a good job either. I have only seen two of her shows and her hosting skills are poor. And enough with the stripes.

FORT Newbie

Like everyone else, I kinda figured it would end up Antonio. Definitely think Dan's house was much more put together and showed better design. The only problem I had with Dan was the backsplash in the kitchen which the judges pointed out...just didn't look finished. Antonio's design style seems to be "go out and buy a bunch of stuff and put it in a room" and then he says at the end "it all just miracously comes together". Um...not always! I didn't like the cabinet that he re-purposed for the TV. With those shutter doors the way they were you will only be able to see the TV if you're sitting on that little couch right in front of it.

I predict that he'll have some type of show where he re-purposes furniture...kinda like he did with the ugly TV cabinet. Something like "here's a piece of old furniture...what can you do with it?" Whatever it is, don't think I'll be watching. I didn't like his little closing comment on his hosting..."I just re-did a house in 4 days...what can you do?" I can change the channel!

Sheesh.. the reason there was no voting this season is because they knew that America wouldn't vote in who THEY wanted to vote in. Last year's Jennifer debacle was the deathknell of public voting. You could tell from halfway through the season that Antonio was the favored child. This finale show was so anti-climactic.

The judges threw EVERYTHING that they had been begging for all season out the window to give Antonio the win. His hosting skills were pathetic! He couldn't explain why he did anything in the room... just pointed to different items and said "Yo, I did dat. I did dat. I did dat! Mmmm, lasagna!" His rooms were juvenile at best.. I thought the living room looked horribly mismatched and disjointed and the tv "cupboard" was ugly and too bulky, the little boy's room was once again boring with just some large graphics on the wall and no added storage, and the master bedroom furniture placement was exactly what they had had to begin with. The only quality item in the entire house was the fact that he moved the entrance to their bathroom (and again.. in his hosting his explanation for why he moved it was insanely bad.)

Dan gave the designers everything that they had been demanding: storage, design, function, and a personal hosting style with no giggling. The only conflict that I see here was that he wasn't "new" or "different" unfortunately. =(
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I always liked Antonio - Dan seemed like a clone of that David guy that does the color stuff (another winner who is still on btw). The use of the Morrocan chest as a fireplace mantle was genius. Couldn't stand Dan's giggles all the time. I'll give the show a try, just because he thinks a bit differently than the others. Overall tho I agree, this year's crop of designers was not stellar.

Okay - I have stayed away from the personal criticisms during the show, but now that it is over...I hate Antonio's teeth - he needs to get some work done. Maybe now he can afford it. Dan is sweet, but his personality is not sparkly. His muscled chest is not enough to keep viewers. The other two "hunks" on the network - Carter Oosterhaus and David Blomstad - do have more open personalities. Carter exudes warmth and David exudes fun.

Antonio, on the other hand, has too much personality. His in-your-face patter will wear thin quickly just as Dan's reserved quiet would.

I still hate that they fashioned the Finale without an audience this year. No reunion, no comedy bits, no family cheering sections. It was all so rushed in the last minute...Dan hustled off stage while Antonio's support crew trooped in for the confetti and the group hug. I would have love to see and hear the contestants question the judges on their season long decisions. Maybe they'll work that into the show they're calling The Antonio Project next Sunday.

Dan should have won. I love HGTV because of the hosts they have. I have as much training as Antonio has, so why would I watch his show when I could do just as well? I won't be watching. His personality is too abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3700643;
    I predict that he'll have some type of show where he re-purposes furniture...kinda like he did with the ugly TV cabinet. Something like "here's a piece of old furniture...what can you do with it?" Whatever it is, don't think I'll be watching. I didn't like his little closing comment on his hosting..."I just re-did a house in 4 days...what can you do?" I can change the channel!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast