+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/6 Show Discussion: Celebrity Rooms Final Three

FORT Newbie

Re: 9/6 Show Discussion: Celebrity Rooms Final Three

I think Antonio actually had the easiest of the 3 rooms. He had a blank slate and a client that said pretty much anything goes. His only requirement was a desk/work surface for 3 employees. And while the map turned out really nice, is it going to be that helpful for her to see where she is going? Wouldn't a huge blank write on/wipe off calendar been a lot more useful and helpful? And how often does a reality queen/comedian need to know what time it is in Tokyo? If she's an international traverler then the US map will not do her much good!

I think all the rooms turned out ok but they each had their flaws...Lonnie's with the headboard, Antonio's with the inadequate seating/conference area, and Dan's with the whatever that was painted on one little section of wall and the giant honking mirror leaned against the wall.

How could someone ever feel comfortable with a tree trunk over their head? How can they possibly mount that thing safely with a guarantee that it won't fall off?? I think it looked better resting on the end tables anyway...maybe they should've figure some way to mount it to the tables. And what is "sustainable wood" anyway?

I feel like Antonio is going to win because he's "different" but I doubt I'll watch his show. Don't see anything he has to offer.

They sent home the wrong person. Lonnie's room was the most harmoniously put-together.
    Dan's room was cluttered with furniture. Antonio's had all the flaws they mentioned with the tiny furnishings, plus all that steel and purple was butt-ugly. I said last week those two guys had questionable taste. I would never watch Antonio's show. What were the judges thinking???

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

One of the optional headboards for my bedroom set was one that "floated" on the two nightstands. It was interesting, but I didn't go with it, opting for a 4-poster. Having been married to a contractor, I don't think that it would be impossible to safely mount that beautiful piece on the wall. It is its own piece of artwork.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3694131;
    I think Antonio actually had the easiest of the 3 rooms. He had a blank slate and a client that said pretty much anything goes.
    You pointed out some things I hadn't thought of, scrapdaddy, but in a way, it was exactly what's above that made me think it was harder. Maybe it's just my experiences, but when people say, "anything goes," it's turned out that anything went until they didn't like it and then they can totally blame you.

Combined with Kathy acting like the whole thing was a comedy routine, I really thought she'd come through with her thing about "going off if I don't like it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3694056;
    While I don't agree that it was "junky", I do agree (as I have already said) that it was too crowded.

HOWEVER . . . anytime a room serves multiple purposes, especially when those purposes involve furniture designed to be used when humans are horizontal, that's bound to happen. Now, had it been a room for meditation and yoga, it would have been sparse by comparison.

I am sure there are worse dual-purpose rooms, but a guest room/nursery would definitely be on my top five list of bad ideas.

Do the parents barge in on the guests when the baby starts crying? Perhaps they allow their relatives to do those chores for them.

Maybe that's the plan. A good way to keep relatives from overstaying their welcome!!!

If I had to do combine a nursery/guest room I wouldn't expect my guests to sleep in it. My husband and I would sleep in it when we had overnight guests and let them sleep in the master bedroom. Of course, grandparents are different. If they stay all night then it's usually to help with the baby so they can get up in the middle of the night

I agree that the reason it had so much in it was because it served two purposes. I liked the room. I personally think Dan has more talent than Tony. The potential is greater with Dan. He can learn to be a better host and eventually he'll learn how to minimize if need be. But those things take time. Tony has yet to show how to accessorize. Some people don't know how no matter what. I'm worried that Tony fits into that category. He does great set building but beyond that I haven't been too impressed with his work.

I don't know who I want to win. I'm hoping that the last episode will really make someone shine.

Personally, no one is as good as Vern, Candice, and David B. They are my three favorite designers.

I was personally so disappointed in Sunday night's show. Maybe I'm biased due to being of a similar age, but I really enjoyed watching Lonni. I also liked her room and you have to wonder if sometimes the helper(s) the show brings in to work with the designers don't purposefully screw up so that they can eliminate whomever they want. Lonni, to me was the best, most watchable in her hosting but perhaps HGTV didn't feel she brought in something unique to their programing schedule. "Middle aged, caucasion female designer: yep, done that."
    Dan didn't recover in my eyes from the week before when he made the huge pergola blunder. That was larger than Lonni not getting the headboard mounted. His nursery project turned out okay but I thought the judges were a little too impressed. ("Oh my gosh! You sewed fabric on ready made window panels? You're so wonderful!!!") Also, his hosting style seems a little immature to me. I don't know that I'd be convinced to want to try his projects. And he's certainly no Carter Oesterhause. (Sigh...)
    Antonio seems to me to be a bully and "rough around the edges." Of the three, his would be the show I'd least like to watch but the person who would be the most different from the hosts on HGTV today. (Appealing to young, urban viewers.) His map concept was the one nice feature in the room but I don't know how functional it will be. Overall, the room wasn't accessorized well and the scale was certainly off on some of the furniture. (And having sold furniture for years I'd say that "scale" is furniture 101. Very basic.)
    David Bromstead's comment last week about the "white wall" challenge still applied this week IMO. It's tought to compare a nursery, guest room and office.
    Anyhow, Lonni's out and now I think I've had enough of this show. Maybe next season will be better!

I still think Season 1 was the best. The 2 finalists really had a lot to offer.
    This season has been my least favorite.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3696524;
    I still think Season 1 was the best. The 2 finalists really had a lot to offer.
    This season has been my least favorite.
    I agree about Season 1. I get irritated every time they say that the final three were the best ever. Uh-uh! David was the best ever, and it's not just because he was the first. He can run circles around Dan and Antonio design-wise, and he's more versatile than Lonnie was. I agree that Lonnie was a bit of a one-shot pony, but she is a far better designer than Dan and Antonio. They may have more fun creative ideas, but they don't know how to finish off a room. I can't see myself watching a show that either one of them would put together, but maybe they'll have good support staff who can bring in some ideas (although I doubt Antonio would listen to anyone else's opinion ).
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

I thought Dan's room was just horrible. It was so junked up with the strangest things in it and on the walls. Ugly...those curtains were just ugly and not nursery at all in any way. The glitzy fabric over probably some cheap looking fake silk was hideous. The whole room was hideous. Pairing such lux fabric with white furniture was just awful. Personally, I'd like to see Antonio win. It would be fun to watch his show. He is a can do kind of guy and I think he has worked the hardest. He hasn't had a lot of chances to show his design finesses because he has always been relegated to making sure the heavy lifting gets done. I liked Lonnie's room and Kathy's room was just what she wanted and asked for so what can you do? The furniture was a bit laking...but the concept was very good.

I really don't want to see another shirtless, giggling gay guy show (not that there's anything wrong with it) I know that HGTV is "message-y" but really it would be nice to see a hee man show that wasn't just the carpenter.......just sayin....

One of the judges like Antonio so much that she influenced the decision of the other judges. Vern Yip didn't quite like Antonio's execution regarding the scale and the lack of decoration. And the only comment about Lonnie's design was the head board plus she had to work with organic/sustainable materials. So they're saying that if she was able to hang that head board, she would have been in? That was totally lame. Antonio did have the least challenging task/client of the 3 yet he did the least and I think he should have been eliminated. I was surprised they kept him over Lonnie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast