+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/6 Show Discussion: Celebrity Rooms Final Three

Re: 9/6 Show Discussion: Celebrity Rooms Final Three

For those interested, Jennifer Bertrand (last year's winner of Design Star) premiers her show on HGTV at 4 ET/3 CT tomorrow, Monday. It will then run in that time slot for the full week. It will be a color show and I'll be looking forward to see how it is set up to be different from the other color shows on the network.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Regular

IMHO the correct designer was eliminated this week. Lonni received the easiest challenge - a eco-friendly guest room. IIRC she didn't change the furniture placement or increase functionalilty, rather she merely shopped for environmentally-friendly materials - flooring, furniture, bedding, wallpaper (which I personally detest in general), etc. - to replace the existing items in the room & added her signature focal wall. Although I agree (based on the snippets that airs) that her hosting abilities are superior to the others, not submitting flawless results when given the less challenging assignment should be grounds for dismissal. (Plus, the leaning headboard was not functional. Given the amount of time it appeared the installers unsuccessfully devoted, I wonder whether it could be properly hung & not pose a safety concern.)

Dan's space may have met the multi-functional goals of the clients, but it appeared too busy with numerous potential safety hazards (e.g. a 5-6' unsecured leaning mirror) for its intended primary purpose as a nursery/toddler room! The layout consisted of the simply lining the walls with a large quanity of furniture, thus devoting the majority of the room to a seating area (which should be able to double as a crawling/play area). I liked the creative details & nod to the theme throughout the room - an abstract boat hull mobile, original painting hung with robe, etc. He obviously giggles as an uncomfortable/nervous reaction, which can be eliminated via coaching.

Antonio was the only one assigned an office space & received less direction from the client compared with the others. I felt his floorplan met the functionality requirements &, combined with the custom desks, provided each employee with ample space. However, the "conference area" clearly was unable to accomodate a team meeting (3+ people). The continental USA dry erase board & clocks displaying various time zones were interesting & functional details that supported the "headquarters" purpose. I felt minimal accessorizing was appropriate for a non-home work space; fewer items means more emphasis, which is where he failed to produce the "wow" factor. I find his informal hosting style evokes a sense of "everybody-can-do-this," presents the information in "everyday language," & relates to a wider audience. The tattoos may pose a distraction, but they at least reflect his "everyday guy" personna.

Looking forward to the finale!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Lonni: Anyone else slightly bothered by the fact that she made the printed "wallpaper" seem like it was HER idea?

She didn't come up with it. She didn't even paint it. She merely had the store copy a design she saw in their showroom.

Didn't care for the headboard either. Way too heavy to be hanging about your head in the first place. I am inclined to not penalize her for failing to get it up on the wall because it seems that her helpers failed her on that note, BUT to leave it balanced precariously on the nightstand . . . . bad idea.

Antonio: Gotta give him props for working with Kathy Griffin. I can't stand that woman. She isn't funny and her constant gay references were annoying and offensive.

The room did look much better when he was finished with it. Liked the multiple clocks and the U. S. map. However, I am wondering just what kind of "business" she runs.

Agree with the judges that the scale was off. She never specifically said she had to have clients come to the office, so why were there so many extra chairs?

Dan: First off, let me say that if I'm going to stay over at someone's house for the night, I don't want to be sleeping in the room with THEIR baby. Is the Priestly household that small that it requires sharing a room? What happens when Baby #2 gets older?

I liked the boats hanging overhead (they were certainly lighter than Lonni's headboard!). The fact that they weren't real boats kept the room from being kitschy.

The room seemed a bit crowded, but since it was a dual-purpose room, with both ideas requiring large pieces of furniture, I guess that was unavoidable.

I liked the painting he did, including the way he hung it on the wall, but I didn't really care for his "water wall".
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by *angela;3693106;
    IMHO the correct designer was eliminated this week. Lonni received the easiest challenge - a eco-friendly guest room. IIRC she didn't change the furniture placement or increase functionalilty, rather she merely shopped for environmentally-friendly materials - flooring, furniture, bedding, wallpaper (which I personally detest in general), etc. - to replace the existing items in the room & added her signature focal wall. Although I agree (based on the snippets that airs) that her hosting abilities are superior to the others, not submitting flawless results when given the less challenging assignment should be grounds for dismissal. (Plus, the leaning headboard was not functional. Given the amount of time it appeared the installers unsuccessfully devoted, I wonder whether it could be properly hung & not pose a safety concern.)

Dan's space may have met the multi-functional goals of the clients, but it appeared too busy with numerous potential safety hazards (e.g. a 5-6' unsecured leaning mirror) for its intended primary purpose as a nursery/toddler room! The layout consisted of the simply lining the walls with a large quanity of furniture, thus devoting the majority of the room to a seating area (which should be able to double as a crawling/play area). I liked the creative details & nod to the theme throughout the room - an abstract boat hull mobile, original painting hung with robe, etc. He obviously giggles as an uncomfortable/nervous reaction, which can be eliminated via coaching.

Antonio was the only one assigned an office space & received less direction from the client compared with the others. I felt his floorplan met the functionality requirements &, combined with the custom desks, provided each employee with ample space. However, the "conference area" clearly was unable to accomodate a team meeting (3+ people). The continental USA dry erase board & clocks displaying various time zones were interesting & functional details that supported the "headquarters" purpose. I felt minimal accessorizing was appropriate for a non-home work space; fewer items means more emphasis, which is where he failed to produce the "wow" factor. I find his informal hosting style evokes a sense of "everybody-can-do-this," presents the information in "everyday language," & relates to a wider audience. The tattoos may pose a distraction, but they at least reflect his "everyday guy" personna.

Looking forward to the finale!
    Oh I am so glad you noticed that about Dan's room and the mirror. I was like errr, that would be changed as soon as possible. Especially since Jason's daughter doesn't look THAT old. Other than that, I loved the nursery. I was like "oooh I want that nursery." Of course I am not a celebrity nor am I having a baby but oh well.

Antonio's room was great. He started out as one of my least favorites and has grown on me. I don't mind the tattoos. He is certainly a character that is non-existent on HGTV. I do agree that the furniture for the "conference area" was far too small. When I think of "conference area" I think of a larger table and chairs to set out multiple papers and folders. I did like the USA board and the wall clocks. Not a lot of accessories was not a big deal to me. Most people would want to add their own flair to their work space.

Lonnie's room was pretty and I would love to have the room (minus that headboard.) Yikes I wouldn't want that sucker mounted above my head. Talk about developing a phobia about things crushing you in your sleep. I agree that she needed to go as it seemed she couldn't get out of that scheme of the "focus wall." While I tend to like her design style, I don't think it would work for a tv show. I know that for a designer working on other people's homes, you can have a scheme that you like to go back to because you know it works and customers love it. However, on a tv show, she would get stuck and every room of hers would end up looking similar. Who wants to watch a show where the finished product looks like the room the week before?

Between Dan and Antonio, I have yet to decide who I want to win. I see great things about both men.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I loved Lonnie's room! I loved the headboard and the side tables. Just beautiful. That head board was NOT going to be left as it was, and it was no big deal to mount it properly; she just ran out of time. At first I didn't care for the room, then the more I saw it the more I started to love it. I loved that the clients LOVED it. That is the biggie for me.

I see Antonio winning this whole thing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kao

I think that I'm the only one that didn't like Lonnie's room very much, and I LOVE eco-friendly things.

It would have been great had she either went with the plain or patterned wallpaper on one or two walls and painted the others in a complementary color. 3 walls with the plain wallpaper and the other with the patterned paper made it look VERY closed in and a lot smaller than what it is. Plus, the "headboard" was actually a sculpture created out of a reclaimed piece of wood that I'm willing to bet was petrified. While the idea was nice, no way in hell would I want something that heavy above my head while sleeping. Plus her hosting style puts me to sleep.

Out of the three rooms, I liked Antonios and Dan's the most and out of the three I would say that Antonio had the biggest challenge. I loved how he made the space usable but he does need to pay more attention to scale. Dan's room was absolutely adorable.

Haven't yet seen last night's episode, but as soon as I turned on HGTV, they let m know the results. Surprised to see that Dan's still there. After last week, I thought he'd be gone. Can't weigh in on the designs last night. Looks to be an all day marathon, so hopefully they'll show lat night's epi.
    I'm not excited, though, about Dan's hosting / personality. He just comes across to me like a giggly adolescent. I can't stand Antonio's tats, but I like his personality more. He seems like this really sweet guy who's stuck in a scary costume.
    Still, not sure, if I would watch either of these guys. This season has been aboutthe most boring for me.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Didn't care for the headboard either. Way too heavy to be hanging about your head in the first place. I am inclined to not penalize her for failing to get it up on the wall because it seems that her helpers failed her on that note, BUT to leave it balanced precariously on the nightstand . . . . bad idea.
    Yep, I was half holding my breath, waiting for Tiffany or her husband to walk over and push on it or something!

I'm rooting for Antonio, now. I think he had a tough row to hoe with Kathy Griffin, and I think it's the thought of a set designer moving into interior design, kinda like Chris (I think it was) on Project Runway - a costumer becoming a fashion designer. I like Dan, not sure I get Vern saying he has some "it" factor, but his hosting just doesn't do anything for me. I do love his artwork and he came up with some excellent stuff this week.

I'm watching the marathon, so I just re - watched the pergola episode. I still can't get over Dan spending almost $11,000 on that pergola when the whole makeover should be $25,000. I don't care if the guy got confused, or it was a miscommunication; I just think he deserved to go home. And, I don't see the "It" factor, either. I'm not saying he's not at all cute, he's just coming across as immature and someone who should not be hosting a weekly TV show.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Ger

I did not care that much for Lonnie's room .

I really loved Dan's room and loved how he did that painting and hung it.

Also liked Tony's office especailly the map and clocks but agree some of the furniture was way to small.

Think both Dan and Tony are good so will have to wait and see what they do next week and then see who wins.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast