+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

I haven't had the heart to watch this yet, but I read a bit in the comments on the HGTV website last night and it sounds as though Dan has fallen from grace, though he wasn't eliminated. Was it Tori? It was implied that Dan made it past Tori on the hosting portion.

I'll watch it today but I thought a discussion thread might be in order for anyone who wishes to do so.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

I don't know that he fell from grace. He made a huge mistake in spending too much on a gazebo and they went over budget by 5 grand. Torie went home because she stepped up to be the project leader and as leader she is the one who needs to take responsibility. He kept calling it a budget miscommunication, but I don't think it was that more than he got confused. I clearly heard her say ""$5000 for pergola". How he translated that into 10K I will never know.

While I didn't want him to go, I fully expected him to and was shocked when he didn't.

Next week should be fun. It single designs. They design for Kathy Griffin, Jason Priestly and Tiffany Thiessen.

Ger

I thought as a leader Tori did nothing much at all.

Seems Tony ran the show and Tori said NOTHING

Yes, Tori did say to only spend 5 grand and Dan made a HUGE mistake and he was at fault for that, plus it had no zin factor according to the judges but to be honest I don't know what a zin factor is.

I really thought they would send Dan home myself and was shocked when they kept him and sent home Tori but really she was the leader and a poor one at that.

Also I agree with the judges and did not see anything that gave a WOW factor in that yard at all.
    I thought it was nice but the furniture was so plain and nothing much attractive about it at all.

The pergula was nothing at all , just plain and for 10 thousand bucks I would have cried if I had to pay for that.

They did not even do much of anything around the pool.

Yes, I agree that next week should be a fun show.

I haven't watched it yet either. I was too tired to stay up last night to watch it..busy weekend. Anyway, from what I have heard Dan "fell from grace" b/c he lied to the judges. I also read different things or shall we say "point of views" that Antonio kept saying $10K and Dan got confused. I also read that Antiono took over the lead from Tori. I have mixed feelings about who should have went home based off what I read. I will reserve judgement until I can watch it for myself. But based off what I read this is what I think: Dan should go home for lying, Tori should go home for not being the leader; and Antonio should go home for being a bully. But I will wait until I see it. I will have to pause and replay the conversations about budget a few times before I decide on what actually happened.

I don't know that he fell from grace. He made a huge mistake in spending too much on a gazebo and they went over budget by 5 grand. Torie went home because she stepped up to be the project leader and as leader she is the one who needs to take responsibility. He kept calling it a budget miscommunication, but I don't think it was that more than he got confused. I clearly heard her say ""$5000 for pergola". How he translated that into 10K I will never know.
    In the van, Anthony says something like, "I thought she gave us $10,000?" They repeatedly showed Dan saying "$5,000", so at some point, he knew how much he had.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I would have to go back and watch again to see if I can make sense of the whole budget fiasco.

Perhaps they should have showed it as it was filmed and not chopped it up into pieces in the editing booth.

Here's how it played out in my mind:

*Dan is supposed to be in charge of getting only the pergola. He did that and evidently, paid $10K for it.

*They were dealing with CASH. At no point did anyone come up to Dan with extra money, so he must have spent what he originally was given.

*If there was only $5,000 in his envelope, where did he get the extra to pay for the pergola when it was delivered?

*If there was $10,000 in the envelope AND he was only supposed to spend $5,000 . . . why the extra? What else did she expect him to buy?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Dan knew before he spent the money or signed the contract that he only had $5000 to spend on it. Dan did say repeatedly that they had only $5000 to spend on it. Dan messed up big time. For Dan to finally take the blame in the green room while the judges were deciding who went home was a cowardly way of handling it.

I don't understand why they (the four designers) could not have bought the supplies and built the thing themselves. It is really not that difficult to do at all. It would have saved alot of money and they could have made exactly what they wanted.

I think that the wrong person went home. Dan is pretty good as a designer but if he can't understand the concept of a budget then his show would not be something that the everyday average person could do in their own home.

As far as the furniture being boring, I have to blame that on Dan as well. Dan not only went over his budget of $5000, he spent more than $5000 over his budget. That took away $5680 that could have been used on the furniture. If I am not mistaken Dan spent $10,680. Unfortunately Torie got the wrong end of that deal.

When they were in the van and Torie was giving Dan the money, I'm pretty sure she said something like, "Here's $10,000 for the pergola. Do you want to count it out?" Dan then counted it out and came up with the $5K. I don't understand why he didn't bring up the discrepancy then, but that's just me...

I don't understand why they didn't build a fence around the pool..there is a small boy in the household and it just seems like it should be number 1 priority.

They were all at fault in their own way. And doesn't signing a contract give you 3 days to cancel by law? Why didn't they look into that? I'm thinking HGTV was just going for drama.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3685377;
    I don't understand why they didn't build a fence around the pool..there is a small boy in the household and it just seems like it should be number 1 priority.

They were all at fault in their own way. And doesn't signing a contract give you 3 days to cancel by law? Why didn't they look into that? I'm thinking HGTV was just going for drama.
    Ditto on both comments.

It was very irresponsible of them to NOT put a fence around a pool with a small child living there.

And that pergola/gazebo thing was soooo not worth $10,000. If people spend that kind of money on something so small and simple....then I'm in the wrong business.

The playscape for the little boy also seemed too expensive for it's size and accessories.

They made a very nice backyard.....but I've seen more innovative stuff on "Design on a Dime" and other shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast