+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

While I am in favor of pool fences if only to keep other people's children safe, my main theory of water safety is teach your children to swim.

By the time they were 1, my kids turn turn over in the water from front to back and paddle to the side of a pool. By the time they were 2 to 2-1/2, they could dive into deep water and swim the length of a 25 yard pool on stomach, back, or underwater. Children, even babies, are natural swimmers. It just takes some effort to teach them how to be safe.

That's not to say that I, or another adult, wasn't always in the water with them or at the edge of the pool when they swam, but they had the skills they needed if something happened.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I didn't get to see the show on Sunday. I did get to see the final product, though.
    Having watched a lot of the design shows on backyards on this channel through the years, it does seem that a lot of money was spent to produce the final result which didn't look like all that good. I will have to watch the show when they rerun it tomorrow night to see why the yard looks so unfinished, though. But, in the meantime, I'm glad it wasn't my money that was spent on it.
    I do wish more time was being spent on individual design challenges, though, so we could more accurately assess a particular's contestant's potential.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3688966;
    I didn't get to see the show on Sunday. I did get to see the final product, though.
    Having watched a lot of the design shows on backyards on this channel through the years, it does seem that a lot of money was spent to produce the final result which didn't look like all that good. I will have to watch the show when they rerun it tomorrow night to see why the yard looks so unfinished, though. But, in the meantime, I'm glad it wasn't my money that was spent on it.
    I do wish more time was being spent on individual design challenges, though, so we could more accurately assess a particular's contestant's potential.
    This is why I truly like the white wall challenges you get to see the more creative side of the designer. Personally, I am not going to watch anyone's show regardless who wins at this point as I am not impressed by anyone's overall skills.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I saw pergola's for sale in the local paper that looked like that one out of the same material and it was about $900, that seems about right for vinyl. It seemed that everything was at the end of the yard and that they could have moved the pergola closer to the house and made a winding sidewalk in the middle and put the plants on each side of that with planting areas instead of things being up against the fence like that. That's sort of strange. Unless it all just looked a lot bigger on tv and didn't really have that big of an expanse. I don't really know what an 8000 square foot yard would look like with out knowing how wide and deep it was to get the feel of the area. I think maybe the owners had a fence around the complete yard to get the fence safety and maybe they have one of those portable ones for their kiddie. They really needed to sit and draw something up and plan but again, no time for that. It takes a long time to shop for all that stuff and especially in LA where the traffic is horrendous. I hope they change that next time. I really don't feel like I have a horse in this race, maybe I will after the more individual showings as it's hard to tell now much about them.

Finally got to see the episode in its entirety last night.
    I still can't get over the price of that pergola - I guess they charged so much as the company installed it themselves at the site. Still, more than $10K for a huge white plastic pergola seems outrageous. Tori and Dan were the right ones to be in the bottom last night. Tori never seemed to step up to the plate for anything; can't imagine why she bothered to volunteer to be team leader. Dan seemed totally clueless as far as the cost. First, he says he'll take responsibility for it; then he seems to place the responsibility back with Tori.
    Complain as they do about Antonio, he always appears to be the person who takes charge and at least gets things done.
    I'm looking forward to individual designs next week. This incessant reliance on team building just seems to create dissension and drama and I think the majority of us viewers would prefer to see some actual design on a show that calls itself Design Star.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

It seemed that everything was at the end of the yard and that they could have moved the pergola closer to the house and made a winding sidewalk in the middle and put the plants on each side of that with planting areas instead of things being up against the fence like that
    I agree Tobi. The yard lacked depth or interest with everything up against the fence. You just don't walk to the corner of your yard, across the grass, to sit in a pergola which doesn't even give shade. What do you do out there? Yell to people in the pool? Carry a tray of drinks and snacks out? If you forget your book or napkins you have to walk all the way back.

Since these are interior designers I fail to see the point of giving them this huge barren outdoor space. I also agree that individual challenges in the white rooms are the best way to see their talent. Or give them real rooms in houses that are of the same size and function.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234