+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

I finally got around to watching this episode and I replayed the whole money issue a few times to make sure I understood what happened. This is partly paraphrasing but I got most of it.

Tori: How much do you need?
    Antonio: About 5 – 6 thousand.
    Tori: Here is 10 thousand, count it out while I go back to my drawing.
    Dan: Says something but I can’t remember what
    Antonio: Wait, did she give you 10 or 5 thousand? She just said she gave you 10.
    Dan: No, its 5 thousand.
    Tori: Ignores them

My thoughts on the whole thing, Dan was right in saying that Antonio should take some of the blame. He knew it was 5 thousand when it was quoted to them and he also didn’t say anything. Neither of these men spoke up and they both knew it was 5 thousand.

Tori was the right one to go home. She didn’t lead, she appeared to have contributed zero to the challenge and if she only wanted them to spend 5 thousand why on earth would she give them 10? They paid cash for that pergola. Clearly they had 10 thousand and I don’t really know anybody out there who wouldn’t spend the 10 thousand if they had it. The way he probably rationalized it to himself was “She gave me 10, it must be ok so I’m going to spend 10 even though she said 5.”

There is some weird editing going on though because Tori clearly said she gave him 10 thousand and yet Dan says it’s 5 thousand and we never see her taking back that 5 thousand. So unless that happened and ended up on the cutting room floor then he had 10 thousand in his hands when he went shopping. It also very clear in the way this was edited that they wanted Dan to look bad. They never again showed Tori saying "here is 10 thousand" and they never explained why or even if it did change to 5 thousand in his hands.

I had issues with that pergola. They could have built something much nicer for a fraction of the cost. Isn’t Antonio supposed to be some awesome carpenter/builder? Why didn’t he build something?

I also had issues with the pool, I can’t believe they didn’t put a fence around it! I didn’t have a problem with the play set and thought that was a great idea for the little guy because he won’t always be little but the pool will always be an issue without a fence around it.

I think Lonnie should win but since the last couple of seasons have been females, I see them giving it to Antonio to finally get a male winner.

This episode tells me that the producers are looking for some sort of landscaping show as their new one and it was a sort of audition to see who would do best in that new show.

Anyways, just my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3685784;
    Plus, if I remember correctly, the pool did have a fence or some sort of barrier around in the "Before" state...
    The pool had a portion of a leaning down and mostly broken fence around one side of it. The rest had nothing. It was the front short side of the rectangle, the closest to the house part.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 09-02-2009 at 08:39 AM.

FORT Newbie

I think it's all edited drama. From what I've found on the web Dan says that the mistake was cleared up and they purchased a new pergola for the $5k and that's what we saw in the reveal...not the $10k one that was originally purchased. I think that's kinda cruel of the producers/editors to not make that clear by the end of the show and perhaps most importantly to let that be known to the judges (although they probably knew and just played it out for the drama effect).

In my opinion there was absolutely nothing creative done to this yard. They basically planted some bushes, slapped some concrete and sod on the ground, and fixed an old water feature. The only thing I saw creative was the dry creek bed affect that Dan and Lonnie had come up with with the stones that Antonio shot down. But why didn't Dan/Lonnie just say "Nope...sorry Antonio...this is what I want to do and this is what's going to be done!"

I'm afraid in about 5 years that backyard will be overtaken by the bamboo as well as the neighbor's yard on the other side of the fence. I don't know if bamboo grows any different in California but in Mississippi it literally grows right before your eyes!

If they are looking for any type of landscape show out of these three...they're barking up the wrong tree.

Did anyone check out Dan's website? His architecture is BEAUTIFUL! I think he needs to stick to that.
    http://danvickery.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3687528;
    I think it's all edited drama. From what I've found on the web Dan says that the mistake was cleared up and they purchased a new pergola for the $5k and that's what we saw in the reveal...not the $10k one that was originally purchased. I think that's kinda cruel of the producers/editors to not make that clear by the end of the show and perhaps most importantly to let that be known to the judges (although they probably knew and just played it out for the drama effect).

In my opinion there was absolutely nothing creative done to this yard. They basically planted some bushes, slapped some concrete and sod on the ground, and fixed an old water feature. The only thing I saw creative was the dry creek bed affect that Dan and Lonnie had come up with with the stones that Antonio shot down. But why didn't Dan/Lonnie just say "Nope...sorry Antonio...this is what I want to do and this is what's going to be done!"

I'm afraid in about 5 years that backyard will be overtaken by the bamboo as well as the neighbor's yard on the other side of the fence. I don't know if bamboo grows any different in California but in Mississippi it literally grows right before your eyes!

If they are looking for any type of landscape show out of these three...they're barking up the wrong tree.

Did anyone check out Dan's website? His architecture is BEAUTIFUL! I think he needs to stick to that.
    Dan Vickery Interior Designer & HGTV Design Star Contestant
    While I love bamboo it is a grass and can overtake a yard that is why you are supposed to plant it in a pot or with some kind of barrier under the ground so it will not spread.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3687528;

Dan Vickery Interior Designer & HGTV Design Star Contestant
    I was reading an article the other day about types of bamboo. Apparently there are some that are non-invasive, and hopefully this is the type they bought...although I wouldn't put it past this bunch.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Are you all catching David B's blog on the HGTV Design Star website? He is giving his opinion after each episode and so far, one would think he is commenting at FORT. His thoughts follow a lot of our thoughts on the designs and on this episode he was as disappointed as we were. For one, he vented about doing a group challenge at this stage of the game, that we should be seeing individual projects in order to look for their individual styles. He was very hot about that...he was also "hot" about Dan taking his shirt off as his contribution to the challenge. Without inside information, apparently, he also thought the pergola cost 10,000 and was really upset that Clive gave them an extra 5,000 to complete the project. It was interesting to view his vlog and read all your comments in order to see how the editors are telling their story. So far, Lonnie is pretty invisible, Dan is a hunky goof-up and Antonio is a blowhard. Looks like Lonnie is winning the bland winner edit.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Regular

IMHO the correct contestant was eliminated this week. At this stage in the competition, knowing Antonio & Dan consistently emerge as leaders every week, Torri volunteered as team leader! I saw the "writing on the wall" & they/we hadn't even SEEN the backyard yet! Was she not aware of her competition's personalities? Had she not learned from the past that leaders' weaknesses are exposed & they are often held accountable for the overall design/shopping choices/budget? Didn't she have a strategy to win? IMHO she should have encouraged one of the front-runners to assume the leadership position in hopes that the increased accountability may yield their elimination & reduce her competition... Plus, her hosting skills were poor & television presence was weak/stereotypical.

Speaking of this stage of the competition, I would have preferred an individual, rather than a group, challenge. Plus, I wasn't thrilled with a landscape project. There's a different skill set necessary for interiors vs exteriors; personally, I'd never hire an interior designer to plan an entire landscape project (but would consider their expertise for selecting textiles - pillows/cushions/table linens). IMHO there seems to be more physical labor expected this season than in the past.

It appeared the budget overrun segments were piecemeal & the version aired didn't accurately capture the exchanges/situation. Although understanding it's CA pricing, there's no way that pergola cost $10K+; it looked more like a $3-5K version (basic structure built on site). So, they must have re-negotiated their contract; why not state that on the show? If the pergola isn't the reason for the team spending $5K extra, then why were they $5K over? The audience knows that mistakes, oversights, etc. happen, why not show us so we can accurately access the project & each contestant's role? Oh, & don't forget the required fencing!

I agree the backyard was not a cohesive design. It resembled the backyard of a model home or play/movie set that is not actually lived-in or was a do-it-yourself project by non-designer homeowners - non-descript with clearly defined, separate/non-overlapping, areas, matching furniture vignettes, & the cliche "pop of color." Anyone could have purchased the furniture groups & grill from the showroom/displays at Sears, home improvement, furniture, or patio specialty stores; the textiles from a number of stores - discount to Sears to Pier 1; the playset & pergola from their respective specialty stores; discussed basic planting rules (decreasing plant height from back to front) & obtained specific plant recommendations at a nursery; & ordered fencing & concrete from the vendors. Yet, they were not combined in a creative manner - the creativity is the purpose for hiring a designer!

Looking forward to next week - the celebrity challenge should prove entertaining (although my left-brained-self does find it difficult to compare/contrast contestants without a white wall type challenge where everyone has the same task/resources).

Kao

I was asking the same question that the judges were. "Where's the Zen?" There wasn't a damn thing Zen about any part that backyard. If I were a homeowner promised something with Zen flavor from my designers and came home to that I'd be MAD AS HELL. Instead of everything blending seamlessly into everything else with harmony there were these tightly designated areas. It looked like a typically generic backyard in suburbia that anyone could do with a bit of money and a DIY book.

I think there was enough confusion on the money issue that I wasn't surprised that HGTV coughed up some more money. And how to people get picked for the design makeovers on this show anyway? Is it some sort of local contests and HGTV foots the bill, or are these people paying for it? Because if it were my 25k, I'd be asking the producers to redo it!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I'm not sure why the pool not getting a fence has caused such a fuss.

It wasn't like those homeowners had just moved in. They were fully aware (I'm quite certain of this) that they

A. had a small child

B. had a large pool

How about a little PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY here? In my area, people have their pools open about 5 months out of the year. I'm guessing in southern California, swim season is a lot longer. What were the parents waiting on? Does anyone actually believe they thought they could get by, waiting until the designers showed up, to replace that "fence" we see in the beginning of the episode?
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3688372;

It wasn't like those homeowners had just moved in. They were fully aware (I'm quite certain of this) that they

A. had a small child

B. had a large pool

How about a little PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY here? In my area, people have their pools open about 5 months out of the year. I'm guessing in southern California, swim season is a lot longer. What were the parents waiting on? Does anyone actually believe they thought they could get by, waiting until the designers showed up, to replace that "fence" we see in the beginning of the episode?
    It's been a few days since I watched the episode, but the homeowners did tell them that they had started demo on the backyard so that the designers could have a "clean slate" to work from. I'm sure that since they were working on removing everything from the yard, the child wasn't allowed out there anyway.
    I believe they mentioned that they had just moved in, and that they had chosen the house because of the backyard. I don't know the process the producers use to "choose their clients", so the timing of things is something we don't know.

Yeah, I was wondering if the hoemowners said anything about the pool needing to be kid-proofed. It's hard to tell when things are so condensed and they way they edit. That should have been top of their priority list, though. I agree with those disappointed with the project, it just didn't look like a $25 or $30k backyard, to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3688372;

A. had a small child

B. had a large pool

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast