+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

Re: 8/30 Show Discussion: Back Yard Challenge

- I think it's a law in some states that pools have to have a safety fence. (Actually, a quick search shows that California has the "Swimming Pool Safety Act, which requires a lot more than just a fence around the pool.)

- I also wondered about the 3-day clause. I thought it was a national thing? (And why didn't Clive just tell them to cancel it instead of handing them $5000?)

- The price of the swingset didn't seem that much out of line to me...but back when we were looking, they were all too expensive for our budget, so that might be why.

And doesn't Antonio just step up as leader, given that he keeps taking over the tasks? I get that no one shuts him down when he does it, but still...seems like he's afraid to actually take control officially, but they always acknowledge what he did.

Antonio is not a "leader," he is just obnoxious and overbearing and the opposite of helpful. He also muddied the budget waters by putting the 10K number in Dan's head but then tried to weasel out of any responsibility. The two guys have no taste and deserve to go for choosing that ugly vinyl thing to begin with, aside from the cost. I think they destroyed the chance to put in a nice pool surround, as well. The concrete was so ugly. There are so many ways to shape and finish it, put in pebbles or something!

I am glad Torie went, as I have hated her since she made all those snooty "It's so small!!" comments on the military challenge. Not everyone can live in a McMansion, and she had no respect.

So, by process of elimination, Lonnie needs to be this season's winner.

Who pays, anyway? Because if that came out of my pocket, I'd be suing. That backyard would have made me weep. If Design Star pays, then how do they pick their families? I thought it might be friends of the producers or something.
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-31-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Well I disagree that Antonio should leave. He's the only one left I'd watch on a show. I think Dan got to stay because of his presentation and not design skills (which is fine). The whole back yard was a mess to me, and dangerous without the pool fence. But it's a TV show and it is what it is...I imagine Dan is the eventual winner.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3685377;
    I don't understand why they didn't build a fence around the pool..there is a small boy in the household and it just seems like it should be number 1 priority.
    Plus, if I remember correctly, the pool did have a fence or some sort of barrier around in the "Before" state...

I heard both Tori and Antonio say $10,000. With only 36 hours in play and Tori not stepping up as leader I am amazed that this is the first first a budget miss communication has happened. I am sure that the camera crew has everything on tape so I don't even concern myself with that situation.

I must go on record as saying I would never ever have 2 interior designers and 1 set designer design an 8,000 sq ft yard. The mistakes possible with plants is endless.

Two things to say about the concrete; stamping and staining. Of course they only had 36 hours to organize anything.

$10,000 for that gazebo, UGH! I also think they got robbed. Why did the the sales person insist on only giving them a price at the site. Why couldn't he give one at the store? That seemed very weird.

Who comes up with these concepts anyway? I just feel very sorry for the home owner.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Every time I've watched a show I've thought a different person should go home, and they do the next episode. I missed the backyard one, so I can watch the next episode and maybe be surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;3685377;
    I don't understand why they didn't build a fence around the pool..there is a small boy in the household and it just seems like it should be number 1 priority.

They were all at fault in their own way. And doesn't signing a contract give you 3 days to cancel by law? Why didn't they look into that? I'm thinking HGTV was just going for drama.
    I thought the same thing. If I'd been Tori, I would have gotten on the phone immediately and told the pergola folks that there had been a miscommunication and canceled the contract. She didn't seem real quick on her feet.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

On the HGTV boards they have been talking about a blog post, supposedly by Dan's aunt, that sheds some light on the budget mess.

DIY Diva -- a blog from the community, hosted by the Idaho Press-Tribune

According to the aunt, they did go back and get a smaller pergola, and the smaller one is what we saw at the finish. The 10K-plus version had benches and another component to match it across the pool. Any of these blogs from a family member are always pretty biased, but that's the only thing I've read that makes sense, because if that was a $10,000 pergola then we should be all be getting into the pergola business. It was so unspecial.

I was really underwhelmed with the yard. I think they should have had one of the earlier challenges be for a backyard because they would have had that many more foot soldiers to dig or contribute useful ideas. I'm probably spoiled by shows like Extreme Makeover but that was the blandest back yard they could have come up with. Pour concrete, but don't stain? They could have even put a color in the concrete so it wouldn't look so industrial and bland. The original brick surrounding the pool looked a little worn but it was a lot nicer than plain concrete. This is another challenge that falls so short because of the time constraint. Even two days more could have turned out something extraordinary.

I don't think anyone left should be given a TV show. I think Lonnie will end up winning. They let her say something pretty caustic about Antonio and they've showed more than one of the other finalists saying they don't like Antonio, so I think he's going to fall short of the final prize.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Griss;3686125;
    I thought the same thing. If I'd been Tori, I would have gotten on the phone immediately and told the pergola folks that there had been a miscommunication and canceled the contract. She didn't seem real quick on her feet.
    I thought that too... when it came out about the price of the pergola, there was still time that day to call the company up and say sorry, but we miscalculated and don't have $11K for your pergola, don't come out tomorrow. NO ONE suggested that. I would have immediately been on the phone cancelling.

It seems to me that the reason the pergola was so expensive was that it was vinyl, and I think it had a vinyl floor too. What were they thinking? They could have picked up some cedar planks and posts at a lumber yard, and had something that looked 10 times better.

I also agree - stamped, stained concrete would have added a ton to the yard, and they needed a fence around the pool for the kids.

Of all of the designers, I think Lonnie was the only one that was truly creative, and she came up with all of the plant ideas.

I really didn't like all the drama on this episode and as has been noted, child safety (especially for a two yr old) was not fully considered with the open pool or tall play structure. I'm done with this episode and looking forward to the next.

Apparently Antonio gets an office space for Kathy Griffin, while Lonnie gets a guest room for T. Theissen and Dan gets a kid's room for the Priestleys. IMO Antonio and Lonnie got the best picks because those are two of the most designed spaces around. Dan gets another kid's room and oh, my....what will he come up with this time? The latest commercial has the judges gushing over all three spaces (I think) so this may be a happier show. Because Dan has been in the bottom two lately, and the judges seem to like Antonio, I think we may be waving good-bye to him.

Remember, the judges pick the winner this season, and I think, so far, they are leaning toward Lonnie. We have had females win the last two seasons and it would be nice to see another male (other than Antonio) take over a show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast