+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5th episode - August 16, 2009

Re: 5th episode - August 16, 2009

Seriously, the best way to find out about repeat airings is to go to TV Guide online at TV Guide, TV Listings, Online Videos, Entertainment News and Celebrity News | TVGuide.com and after you get the listings in your zip code click on the show for ex: Sunday at 10pm, a pop up box appears and click on the line at the bottom of the pop up that says program listings and it will take you to a page that will list all the showings for that particular episode. Very nice feature of that website.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I agreed with the judges that Nathan was the right person to go home... what was he thinking??
    In addition to the 20 or so hours that he spent working on that "entertainment center"... he also used up many hours of Lonnie's time too. However, his teammates probably should have stopped him after about 4 hours and asked him how much longer he was going to take. I think they should be allotting a set amount of time to each project, and if the time runs out and they are not REALLY close to finishing, they should move on.
    Buying a modern entertainment unit would have taken up a lot less time, and looked a lot better. That family also needed a lot more storage in their room - the entertainment wall would have been a good place for that.

I also agree with the poster who said that the built in desk in Dan/Angelo's room should have had rounded corners. When they initially talked about that area, I too had envisioned something that was rounded on the end. Not sure why they made it square for their autistic kids to hurt themselves on... I think the team worked well together, and everyone contributed. Tori's shopping really did bring the room together, and I loved the couch.

FORT Newbie

I think the Jason/Nathan/Lonnie team was doomed from the start. I kinda think Jason should've been the one to go because what did he do but shop? And most of the accessories belonged to the homeowner! There was no excuse for the drapery hanging on screws, either. And what I can't figure out is when he was shopping for the computer desk he specifically asked "Do you have this in a box?" Why not ask if they had one already assembled or buy the display?? Yes Nathan was at fault for taking 3 days to build 2 boxes but at least the finished product was "finished"! And poor Lonnie...there's no way I could watch that tired-looking stern woman on a show by herself. It was refreshing to see somebody actually do a good job with painters tape for a change, though.

In regards to the "A" teams color controversy...Antonio was wrong for going against the group's decision about the color. The homeowner did state that she liked "warm" colors and blue is about as cold as you can get. That was a huge gamble. Luckily Tori pulled off some warmth with her accessories and furniture and like the judges said...it doesn't mean that you have to actually paint the walls a certain color but can pull the warmth in through the furniture/accessories like she was able to do.

Are the children's rooms next week going to be individual challenges? I hope so. I'm ready to see what they can do as individuals when they have to do it ALL instead of this one shopping, this one doing carpentry, this one painting, etc.

Thanks to all who posted times for repeat airings.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Newbie

The military housing is very strict. Any changes made to the homes on bases are required to be put back the way they were given. As far as cleaning, the family can pay for someone to do it; however, they cannot leave housing without passing inspection. They used to allow the families to pay cleaners to take care of the housing and be responsible for the inspections, but they no longer allow that. My husband is active duty and we have lived in many houses on base. We were shocked that housing allowed them to make the changes they did, especially the hardwood floors. All the houses are uniformed and must stay that way. They will not replace the flooring if something goes wrong and the family will be responsible for paying for them to put it back. Housing charges for everything and looks very closely for things. I worked for housing also and they don't care too much about the families. A lot of families are moving off bases because of the lack of quality housing.

Yup agreeing with cwprincss. We are military as well and you have to repaint/repair everything back to the original condition. We live in military housing and if we even plant flowers in the ground, we have to pull them up before we leave because housing doesn't want to pay to maintain prior tenants' gardens. We have to submit a request in writing for any changes we make to the house as far as paint/wallpaper go and I am sure the same holds true.

Everything I have heard/seen in the past was that housing used to provide you with a number for cleaning crews that you would pay X amount of money and you would be guaranteed to pass inspection for cleanliness; however, they would not paint, etc. A lot of the housing has gone privatized and they have relaxed the stringent "white glove" test for cleaning, thus why they did away with the cleaning crew allowance. However, having moved out of a privatized house and dealing with the, I would much rather pay x amount of money than do it myself and pay whatever ridiculous fees they put on you. for example, some moron made the decision to install off-white carpet in our house and then tack on a $75 per stain (no matter the size) charge. In a house with 2 young children and a dog, we were practically bleaching the carpet to get the stains out.

Bearcata, I've used TV Guide online for ages and I love that Search feature. I also just figured out "Favorite Channels" a couple of weeks ago...it makes it so much easier to scan the 10 or or so channels I like to watch to see what's on.

hcw

Quote Originally Posted by cwprincss;3668252;
    The military housing is very strict. Any changes made to the homes on bases are required to be put back the way they were given. As far as cleaning, the family can pay for someone to do it; however, they cannot leave housing without passing inspection. They used to allow the families to pay cleaners to take care of the housing and be responsible for the inspections, but they no longer allow that. My husband is active duty and we have lived in many houses on base. We were shocked that housing allowed them to make the changes they did, especially the hardwood floors. All the houses are uniformed and must stay that way. They will not replace the flooring if something goes wrong and the family will be responsible for paying for them to put it back. Housing charges for everything and looks very closely for things. I worked for housing also and they don't care too much about the families. A lot of families are moving off bases because of the lack of quality housing.
    Me too! All I could think of is what is it going to cost these people to move out. The built ins will have to be replaced and the wall repainted. It has been a few years since I lived in military housing but I do remember we could not fix the rug directly to the floor, drapes had to be removed, basically there could be no changes to real property.

I had a friend in Sr. Officer Quarters on a historic base. They even had to hang the Christmas lights in a certain order and decorate for the 4th of July with the bunting hung this high and this wide.

Nice idea to pay back the military, but maybe they could have done a VA hospital lounge or waiting room instead.

The curtain fiasco. I know how close military houses are to each other. You do want some privacy. I was not impressed with that at all.

hcw

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3663869;
    Well, its lets make a mess in a military family's house day. Seriously, does HGTV have to come in with a fix it up crew on every episode cause I really can't see the jobs being done well and correctly in such a short period of time.
    And that they did. The Maldinado family home was a disaster. I can only imagine what the yard looked like. What kind of fool thinks people don't want to close their curtains. Also, twenty hours of shopping. Give me a break.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123