+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4th Episode? August 9

Re: 4th Episode? August 9

Totally understand why the judges got rid of Tashica.
    I still think, though, that she was extremely personable and engaging. It's just too bad she couldn't mergeher personality with her work. She would have been a winner if she as able to do that.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I so agree with you. She is adorable and she is doing something now that is good. She works at Ethan Allen according to her bio (not sure she is still there). I would like working with her at a store like that because I bet she is good at accessorizing and helping with fabrics but I would not turn her loose on a build or reno. But I hope she will stay in the biz. She has a lot to offer and has a great personality. All the best to her : )))

Well, I do hope the one thing she gains is a better work ethic. Once she learns about that, I think she'll be unbeatable.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

David Bromstad did a garage lounge on his show this year. Maybe that is where they got the idea. His garage, though, was still a garage with room for a car to park. It was a triple size, though, and not the single size found in the older LA homes. Still, this was a bad challenge all the way around. They might as well have had them spruce up a back yard, or something.

I agree Tobi with the "sameness" of the themes of the HGTV design shows. Many of them are short time work projects, though there are some - such as Candice's that can take months to complete. One thing they have in common is that either the Designer or the Builder is featured and the sidekick is either the Builder or the Designer. One show , Designers Challenge - now in permanent (?) repeats - is different in that three designers pitch for a re-design of a space and the homeowner chooses one. You see contracted workers rather than cast members carrying out the design under the designer's direction. I don't always agree with the homeowners' choice of design(er) but it is always interesting.

As far as Tashica and Vern's seeming rudeness, I think it was an "end of his rope" kind of thing. The fact that both Candice and Genevieve tended to agree right way showed they were tired of her blathering also. She has a bubbly personality and may be very good at hosting of some sort, but she seemed naive and clueless about the requirements of the competition...and this IS a competition. Best of luck to her.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Ger

Well I have finally caught up with this show. I missed last week and then sat down to watch last weeks show on Friday night and watched most of it BUT then fell asleep.
    I was so pissed at myself so then had to wait till yesterday at 5 pm to watch last weeks show and this time I got to see it all.
    Was a good show but why that lady did not change her wall when the cups began to fall the first time instead of trying to get them to stay up.
    Good thing she had some help at the end to at least make her room look alittle better.
    Just loved the black room done with the milk, so clever and loved the lamp made from the orange slices.

Now , on to last nights show. Finally they sent Tashika home and am glad they did.
    Also glad the other gal is gone also.

I agree, just why they did not buy a new garage door is beyond me but think it was money as to why they did not but a big mistake.
    Personally I was not over joyed with either garage design. Nice but nothing for me to go WOW
    I liked the platform they built but yet I agree the garage was low to begin with and that just made it lower and noticed they had to duck their heads stepping up so they did not wack their heads off the garage door.

Anyway I liked last weeks show a little better .

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi;3653514;
    I so agree with you. She is adorable and she is doing something now that is good. She works at Ethan Allen according to her bio (not sure she is still there). I would like working with her at a store like that because I bet she is good at accessorizing and helping with fabrics but I would not turn her loose on a build or reno. But I hope she will stay in the biz. She has a lot to offer and has a great personality. All the best to her : )))
    But Ethan Allen is just a glorified furniture store. They will send one of their "designers" out to help you place their furniture after you buy, but they aren't true designers.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3653291;
    I think they must have to take in a few "carpenter" type people so there will be somebody to build all the stuff that needs to be built. Do "real" designers have to take carpentry/furniture building classes? It makes you wonder what kind of show they would have if they literally had no one that knew how to build anything! It'd be pretty funny in my opinion since most of these designers depend on having custom built pieces. When I watch a design show on HGTV I want to see something that I can do...and I can't build a huge wall unit or multi-level flooring!

Does anyone else thing Lonni just looks frazzled and worn out?
    Regarding the fact that they have to have a "carpenter" type on their team... that is getting frustrating for me. I seem to recall that in Season 1, the designers were assigned carpenters. Wouldn't it make it so much easier for the teams (and a lot more fair) if each team was assigned one carpenter each week?? Then the designers could concentrate more on designing/painting/shopping/accessorizing and less on building. Obviously, the designers could pitch in and build something if they wanted to, but it wouldn't be manditory.
    Having a carpenter assigned to each team would also demonstrate their ability to work with others, and communicate their ideas to craftspeople (a VERY necessary skill indeed). AND the clients would have a better chance of ending up with a quality finished product. In the kitchen challenge a few weeks ago, it would have been sooo much better if a professional had hung the cabinets (and then the one team would not have had the counter issue).

Re: Lonni - yes I agree she looks tired and worn out. I think it's her frizzy tired out overprocessed hair that does it. A good trim and a warmer color of hair would perk her up a ton!

FORT Newbie

Great idea, jmb! It makes it such a disadvantage for designers like Dan and Antonio because most of their time seems to be having to deal with construction and you really don't see much of their design input (except for their white room challenge). They will certainly be at an advantage on the individual comps though...but then again, if memory serves me correctly, don't they assign them carpentry support when they get toward the end and are doing individual challenges?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapdaddy;3654704;
    Great idea, jmb! It makes it such a disadvantage for designers like Dan and Antonio because most of their time seems to be having to deal with construction and you really don't see much of their design input (except for their white room challenge). They will certainly be at an advantage on the individual comps though...but then again, if memory serves me correctly, don't they assign them carpentry support when they get toward the end and are doing individual challenges?
    Yes. The final three are assigned carpenters as they usually have to re-design a large space by themselves.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123